Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

FB Inspired Discussion- Micra or Classic?

Poll

Do you prefer the Micra or the Classic on your keys?

Leatherman Micra
Victorinox Classic
Both
Neither- no tools on keychain
Neither- I carry something else (please specify below)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
FB Inspired Discussion- Micra or Classic?
on: June 11, 2019, 12:30:06 PM
It seems that we have a pretty good debate going on in the MTO Group on Facebook, and I figured I would bring it over here as well.

Aaron Mallott has asked what everyone prefers between these two:

Pretty straight forward question- let's hear your thoughts!

Def
Micra or Classic.jpg
* Micra or Classic.jpg (Filesize: 148.05 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: FB Inspired Discussion- Micra or Classic?
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 12:36:31 PM
Rambler totally bets those two.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 12:42:29 PM
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

fi Offline temo

Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 01:07:37 PM
Yes need to have phillips. Rambler vs micra would be more tough. 2D phillips versus small 3d phillips.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 02:07:04 PM
Micra or Executive for me.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 02:20:47 PM
Between those two I did prefer the Micra for quite a while. The Philips and to me better blade as well as the classic LM style were a few reasons.

These days though I do carry an alox Mini Champ.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 02:21:43 PM
While I like both the Micra and the Classic, it's the Rambler that I carry far more often.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 02:39:13 PM
Another vote for Rambler/Manager here

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 02:48:23 PM
 :iagree: But even between Micra and Classic i would go with the Classic, considering my poor experience with my Micra.

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 03:32:03 PM
Between Micra and Classic i prefer more Micra than Classic. Micra just have more suitable tools for me than Classic. Tho i carry Micra and Rambler with me on keychain all the time but i use Micra more often than Rambler

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 05:02:46 PM
MiniChamp here along with SwissChamp. They pretty much go where I go ..................'cept the shower :dunno: :hatsoff:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 05:40:16 PM
MiniChamp here along with SwissChamp. They pretty much go where I go ..................'cept the shower :dunno: :hatsoff:

I could think of a couple of situations where you need a screwdriver under the shower  :pok:

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 05:44:29 PM
Classic.
A lot of punch in a small package.

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 05:54:19 PM
And another vote for the Rambler/Manager here.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 05:54:49 PM
I could think of a couple of situations where you need a screwdriver under the shower  :pok:

(Image removed from quote.)

Hey, dont laugh. I just got stuck in a bathroom this past Sunday. I was in an old house. It had an old-style mortise lock and skeleton key. Thank God I had my Rebar on my belt!

Extra key with someone on the outside using it wouldnt work. I wanted to cause as little damage as possible, so I tried to disassemble the knob and escutcheon plate. Got me nowhere. Prying the bolt wouldnt move it. Removed one hinge pin off the door but couldn't get the other to budge and broke my Rebar flathead screwdriver in the process.

Finally I started sawing where the box keep met the doorjamb and eventually got free.

Then I went to the beach to cool off

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 05:58:29 PM
For me, I prefer the Micra on my keychain, but the PS4 is a close second. If they made the PS4 like the Micra, or they made a Micra as plyers instead of scissors, that would be it for sure. Just not a fan of the matte finishes of the PS4 as much as I like the bare bones polished stainless of the Micra.

For my Beagle, Scout, I have a BSA Classic that I clip to his harness or collar when we hike. And one of his collars is a Kurgo, which has a bottle opener built right in!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 05:59:37 PM
Though I did edc a Micra for a few years long, long time ago, I think I'd still say Classic.  The size/weight vs tool efficiency is just great with Classic.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 06:06:32 PM
Hey, dont laugh. I just got stuck in a bathroom this past Sunday. I was in an old house. It had an old-style mortise lock and skeleton key. Thank God I had my Rebar on my belt!

Extra key with someone on the outside using it wouldnt work. I wanted to cause as little damage as possible, so I tried to disassemble the knob and escutcheon plate. Got me nowhere. Prying the bolt wouldnt move it. Removed one hinge pin off the door but couldn't get the other to budge and broke my Rebar flathead screwdriver in the process.

Finally I started sawing where the box keep met the doorjamb and eventually got free.

:rofl: ... sorry  :dwts:

Great job using your Rebar to break free Thunda... even if the flathead broke  :hatsoff:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 06:48:27 PM
Another vote for Manager/Rambler. I've had one on my keyring for years...ironically my most carried SAK/multi :ahhh
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 07:51:46 PM

And this is (just one reason) why we carry MTs! Good job getting out of there  :tu:

Sorry, back to topic  :pok:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 08:50:27 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

:twak: :twak: :twak: :dwts: :dwts:

:ahhh :ahhh  :ahhh

Ok now I gotta carry them to the shower ..........( sigh ) :dunno:
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 09:13:42 PM
Manager is my choice with my Squirt P4 a very close second.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 04:28:25 AM

:twak: :twak: :twak: :dwts: :dwts:

:ahhh :ahhh  :ahhh

Ok now I gotta carry them to the shower ..........( sigh ) :dunno:

I know I'm gonna regret this ...................but I'm having a devil of a time trying to figger a way to carry the SwissChamp while nekkid .............. :dwts: :sa: :dunno:

:pok:

:rofl: :rofl:

SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #24 on: June 12, 2019, 04:30:50 AM
Thanks Butch. Now i have a lot of pictures in my head and none of them are...shall we say...comfy...  :facepalm:

:D

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 08:01:04 AM

I know I'm gonna regret this ...................but I'm having a devil of a time trying to figger a way to carry the SwissChamp while nekkid .............. :dwts: :sa: :dunno:

:pok:

:rofl:

So, with laughs out of the way, Imma gonna ruin this one.

Neck lanyard. :pok:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 09:27:30 AM
Thanks Butch. Now i have a lot of pictures in my head and none of them are...shall we say...comfy...  :facepalm:

:D

:o

:D :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #27 on: June 12, 2019, 09:51:27 AM
:rofl:

So, with laughs out of the way, Imma gonna ruin this one.

Neck lanyard. :pok:

I'm picturing a very long neck lanyard so I don't have to picture anything else  :rofl: :facepalm:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #28 on: June 12, 2019, 11:53:08 AM
Another one for the Rambler here - coupled with a Farmer it covers most dailty tasks for me.

Does anyone have some eye bleach they could splash on me please before the image of Butch in the shower burns itself onto my poor retinas  :ahhh
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #29 on: June 12, 2019, 12:54:09 PM
Interestingly enough, the voting for the original two tools is currently 6-2 in favor of the Micra.  I find that fascinating, because this is (as I stated on FB) one of the very few times I prefer Leatherman over Victorinox.  And, oddly enough, it isn't even something I have to think about, other than the slightly smaller package and lighter weight, I really can't think of any reason at all that I prefer the Classic, despite it's absolute (and justified) iconic status. 

The Micra has screwdrivers, and the Classic doesn't, so regardless of how useful they may be, they are far better than ones that don't exist.  And, the Classic SD, which does add a screwdriver tip really seems less like adding a function as it is ruining the tip of the nail file, which I use often.  I also prefer the texture of the nail file on the Micra.

The knife blades both work well, and I have seen some pretty major stuff done with the small blade on a Classic, but I prefer the slightly more robust blade on the Micra. 

The scissors are exceptional on the Classic as well, and they were the standard for Leatherman scissors.  Tim Leatherman once said that if he couldn't put scissors as good as the ones on a Victorinox knife on his tools then he didn't want to put any in it.  The Micra scissors are excellent, and a total win for LM, but they get this point (in my mind) for sheer size and ease of use.

And there's not much point in discussing tweezers- the Classic's beat the Micra's hands down.  The Micra's tweezers are useful, but not in the same league as Victorinox, nor does the Micra have a toothpick.  But, as I always have my Compact with me I have tweezers and toothpick already and don't need them on my keys as well.

So those are my reasons for picking the Micra.  I honestly can't think of too many other tools that I would pick LM over Victorinox though... they both build great tools, but Victorinox just goes that extra mile to make them that much better!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%