Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Neck Wallet / Passport holder

Nix · 7 · 1010

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Neck Wallet / Passport holder
on: June 12, 2019, 10:50:10 PM
I just thought I'd toss this idea out there. I got this Neck Wallet many years ago and have found it invaluable over time. Initially it was used to securely carry an ID, passports, orders, cash, and a few essentials.

Now I seem to use it more to carry a few things when I won't have a pack with me and am wearing light clothing, perhaps with out pockets. I guess I use it like a spare pocket or a 'medicine pouch'. And it still gets used to carry a passport when I need one (though that has been less frequent recently).

From today's hike:

No ID in the front clear pocket today, but I did stash a small squeeze light in there (The squeeze light is tethered by the orange cord.).  This pouch carries quite nicely outside the shirt or inside.

There are two tiered pockets in the interior:

Today I had a Buck 112 and Streamlight in the front pocket. In the back pocket there is a heavy zip-top bag with a pack of matches, some tinder, and a few first aid supplies. Pretty minimal stuff, but could all be helpful or useful. Now that I look at it, I think my selection of items could have been better. Still, you get the idea. This wallet is small, but it can hold a few useful items, to be sure.

In the past, I have clipped a small button compass to the cord, but I must have taken it off for some other purpose......  :dunno:

On the back of the wallet are a couple of sleeve pockets:

I think one is meant for a pen, but I stash a ferro rod in that. The other pocket contains some tweezers (don't go anywhere without tweezers) and a handcuff key (from more worrisome times). 

Anyway, I find this a convenient way to carry a few small items with me when I'm out for a hike and not packing a bag.  I'm not sure where I got this particular version of the medicine pouch, it doesn't have any labels, so I can't tell you the maker.  However, there are tons of options out there. And you could make you own easily enough, I think.

This is just one of those bits of kit that I wasn't sure I'd use much, but find that I reach for often.  :tu:

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Neck Wallet / Passport holder
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 05:18:13 AM
That is actually a pretty good idea Nix  :tu:

I used to have one of those a long time ago as a student. For all the IDs, bus ticket, and so on. I had never thought to use it for a small EDC and FAK kit. I might have to make one and give it a shot  :cheers:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 05:47:06 AM
Very nice :tu:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 03:19:39 PM
That's a handy neck pouch for a hike, I used one with a much slimmer profile when I was travelling and thought it was a good safety measure against pick pocket.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 03:33:27 PM
Great idea Nix looks very handy  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 04:27:27 PM
That's a handy neck pouch for a hike, I used one with a much slimmer profile when I was travelling and thought it was a good safety measure against pick pocket.

I think that was the initial premise. Now, I find it handy for other purposes as well.

E.g. when kayaking with a skirt in place, it's hard to get to some small items in your pants pockets. This small neck pouch can hold a small compass, chapstick/sunscreen, knife, ID, etc.....

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 06:06:44 PM

I think that was the initial premise. Now, I find it handy for other purposes as well.

E.g. when kayaking with a skirt in place, it's hard to get to some small items in your pants pockets. This small neck pouch can hold a small compass, chapstick/sunscreen, knife, ID, etc.....

Funny you'd mention having knife at a chest pouch, IIRC, I remembered learning/reading about that from Mors Kochanski, a survival expert, the benefit of carrying a blade around neck, so in case you'd ever fallen into lake during winter time, you could pull that knife out from chest(instead in a sheath under layers of clothing) and pull yourself out.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%