Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got my first Aitor today!

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Got my first Aitor today!
on: June 10, 2019, 07:36:51 PM
I snagged my first Aitor knife today. It has beautiful wooden scales, but unfortunately it has a "Hooters" logo on it, which I'm not thrilled about. Hoping a little mineral spirits will take that off without hurting the finish, but I need to be careful about the Aitor logo. Both appear to be either painted on, or some kind of pressure-activated decal.  the knife is big and beefy in my hands, and has a nice LARGE blade. The blade doesn't have any marks on it -- in fact, the tool doesn't have any marks on it at all, it appears brand new and unused. The blade isn't particularly sharp, but it's not the worst edge I've ever seen either. The blade snap is mixed. The main blade, corkscrew, hook, and both openers have pretty good snap. The saw, awl, and the nail file have very weak snap. All in all, even the strongest snap is less than a new Victorinox 91mm, much less a 111mm or Boker Tech Tool.

The corkscrew is longer than a 91mm SAK corkscrew, and DOES fit a Victorinox micro driver. The round driver fits better than the angled driver, but even the angled driver does fit fine.  I like the nail file, it has an integrated scraping tool on the end. It's not super sharp, but it could be.  Other than the corkscrew, the backspring tools are disappointing. The awl is not sharp and I can't see a use for such a large, blunt, smooth tool. If sharpened like a Victorinox awl, I can see it being good at drilling holes. But as it is, it's kind of useless. Likewise the hook doesn't seem useful at all. It appears to actually be a cartridge extractor tool, but I'm not a gun nut so I don't really have a clue what it's actually for, and don't see myself ever using it.  The saw is weird, but it is properly shaped - thicker at the teeth than at the top. The bottle opener/driver stops at 90 degrees

Overall, I like this tool. I like the size of it. I like the way it fits in my hands, I like the wooden scales, and I like the _smell_ of the wooden scales. The blade is excellent (though could use a sharpening), and the openers are also top notch. This is obviously an older knife, and the quality is pretty good. I like it, and would buy another Aitor in the future.

Charles.
aitor1.jpg
* aitor1.jpg (Filesize: 191.92 KB)

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Re: Got my first Aitor today!
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 07:10:04 PM
Cool stuff Charles  :like:

Thanks for your review

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Re: Got my first Aitor today!
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 07:21:09 PM
Thanks. I've already sharpened the main blade and the scraper tool, ground the awl and sharpened it to have an edge, and then removed the Hooters logo. I actually really enjoy the shape of this knife and the way it feels in my hands. I've been using it since I got it, and carrying it instead of my Sodbuster, at least until the new wears off, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD