Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Suggestions on Choosing SAK loadout....

us Offline JasonJ

Suggestions on Choosing SAK loadout....
on: June 25, 2019, 05:49:27 PM
I recently made a list of the most commonly used Victorinox tools that I find myself needing, as well as the "sometimes" tools, and the "rarely" tools.  I've expanded my SAK collection a lot recently, and I am in the perpetual struggle to find out which model, or combination of models suits me most.   I am in the office doing IT work M-F, but at home do homeowner stuff, and outside more yard work/homesteading and gardening.  It would be easier if I did more of urban or outdoors, more exclusively!

Thus far, I'm coming up with a few combinations, a few customs that could be possibly put together, and a lot of confusion.  Any input from others is appreciated!

I pretty much always have a SAK in my watch pocket, or clipped with a Vic belt hanger, as well as a single blade, one-handed opening flipper type knife or small fixed blade.  I also always have a Classic SD on whatever key set I am using as well.

Tools list:

Often used- Main blade/small blade, scissors, wood saw, opening layer tools, Phillips driver.
Sometimes used- reamer/awl, mini screwdriver, scale tools(pin, toothpick&tweezers, pen), pliers.
Rarely used- Parcel hook, corkscrew (other than to hold mini driver), nail file (Cadet).

So for the pair ups, I'm thinking perhaps the following:

Pioneer X + Camper
Farmer + Super Tinker
Hunstman + Tinker
Super Tinker + Camper
OHT + ???

For possible custom builds:

Farmer with Scissors added
Compact w/ Reamer and backspring phillips added
Outrider with blade swapped for one-hand opening blade
Yeoman with wood saw added

Any ideas?  I currently have Tinkers, Spartans, Campers, Super Tinker, two Deluxe Tinkers, a OHT w/ serrated blade, and a couple Huntsmans already.  Not opposed to using some as donors, acquiring different models, or changing this up some.

I just see no reason not to carry a SAK along with whatever in my pockets, and so often need some of the tools offered for unexpected repairs and tinkering/widgeting.

I have "real", proper tools in toolboxes if I know I'm going into a project or repair, and pliers based multitools available as well should I need them, but I'm thinking of the more unexpected repairs, screw tightening, small branch trimming/cutting, scissors snippings that come up.

Thanks!

-Jason
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:56:13 PM by JasonJ »

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Suggestions on Choosing SAK loadout....
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 06:10:47 PM
It is always hard to find your perfect SAK, but also a lot of fun.  8)

For your usage scenarios i would throw the Cybertool or the Handyman in the ring. The Cybertool should be perfect for your job in IT, and the Handyman can cover all your needs for house and garden.  :cheers:

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 06:19:20 PM
Perfect Sak:
Mountaineer minus openers and small blade.
Plus combo tool and bit holder.
Metal saw is very usefull to me to adjust some metal parts or make small cuts.

I have pry bar and bottle opener on my everiday Gerber EDC belt. So, openers in SAK are not frequently in use.

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

us Offline JasonJ

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 07:15:38 PM
It is always hard to find your perfect SAK, but also a lot of fun.  8)

For your usage scenarios i would throw the Cybertool or the Handyman in the ring. The Cybertool should be perfect for your job in IT, and the Handyman can cover all your needs for house and garden.  :cheers:

Good thoughts!  The CT34 would be great in an IT setting.  Then switch to something like a Camper or Huntsman for home, also an option. 

Still searching.. one thing is for sure, I'm probably going to end up doubling the size of my Victorinox collection in the process!

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 08:12:47 PM
I EDC an S 557, and when I'm in the woods, I pair it with a 130 mm Ranger. Gets me the OH blade and an awesome saw.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

R

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 08:44:38 PM
Still searching.. one thing is for sure, I'm probably going to end up doubling the size of my Victorinox collection in the process!

Isn‘t that what always happens...  :D :whistle:

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 08:52:56 PM
I recently made a list of the most commonly used Victorinox tools that I find myself needing, as well as the "sometimes" tools, and the "rarely" tools.  I've expanded my SAK collection a lot recently, and I am in the perpetual struggle to find out which model, or combination of models suits me most.   I am in the office doing IT work M-F, but at home do homeowner stuff, and outside more yard work/homesteading and gardening.  It would be easier if I did more of urban or outdoors, more exclusively!

Thus far, I'm coming up with a few combinations, a few customs that could be possibly put together, and a lot of confusion.  Any input from others is appreciated!

I pretty much always have a SAK in my watch pocket, or clipped with a Vic belt hanger, as well as a single blade, one-handed opening flipper type knife or small fixed blade.  I also always have a Classic SD on whatever key set I am using as well.

Tools list:

Often used- Main blade/small blade, scissors, wood saw, opening layer tools, Phillips driver.
Sometimes used- reamer/awl, mini screwdriver, scale tools(pin, toothpick&tweezers, pen), pliers.
Rarely used- Parcel hook, corkscrew (other than to hold mini driver), nail file (Cadet).

So for the pair ups, I'm thinking perhaps the following:

Pioneer X + Camper
Farmer + Super Tinker
Hunstman + Tinker
Super Tinker + Camper
OHT + ???

For possible custom builds:

Farmer with Scissors added
Compact w/ Reamer and backspring phillips added
Outrider with blade swapped for one-hand opening blade
Yeoman with wood saw added

Any ideas?  I currently have Tinkers, Spartans, Campers, Super Tinker, two Deluxe Tinkers, a OHT w/ serrated blade, and a couple Huntsmans already.  Not opposed to using some as donors, acquiring different models, or changing this up some.

I just see no reason not to carry a SAK along with whatever in my pockets, and so often need some of the tools offered for unexpected repairs and tinkering/widgeting.

I have "real", proper tools in toolboxes if I know I'm going into a project or repair, and pliers based multitools available as well should I need them, but I'm thinking of the more unexpected repairs, screw tightening, small branch trimming/cutting, scissors snippings that come up.

Thanks!

-Jason

I'm in IT also, and I've had a Cybertool 34 at work the whole time. It's been invaluable to me. I honestly can't imagine my professional life without it.

But if you really want a SAK that will work for IT and home/yard work, I guess I have to recommend the Cybertool 41, since it has the wood saw you require. But honestly, I'd leave the Cybertool 34 at work, and use a Hunstman at home. Better yet, a SwissChamp. SwissChamps rule.
--
'Buzz

us Offline Sos24

Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 10:15:12 PM
How about a Fieldmaster (Huntsman with Phillils instead of corkscrew)?  You don’t get the mini driver or pliers, but I think everything else on your list is covered.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 11:43:24 PM
How about a Fieldmaster (Huntsman with Phillils instead of corkscrew)?  You don’t get the mini driver or pliers, but I think everything else on your list is covered.

:like: Haha! You read my mind. I was thinking, "Fieldmaster". Maybe with a Cadet or an Executive.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 11:44:33 PM
And then there is always the Swiss Champ for those who have a hard time narrowing down their tool choices.......  :D

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 12:58:39 AM
+1 on the CT34 or CT41 for IT professionals.  A Huntsman Lite also has most of what you need minus the pliers. A Marlboro Troubleshooter might do, if you can live with the back side phillips and you might find the metal saw and file more useful over the wood saw overall.  I know if I had to choose one saw, it would be the metal saw. I've used the metal saw on hardwoods and it works pretty well.

I'd also consider a modern Craftsman and a Wenger PTC (Pocket Tool Chest).

Good luck deciding!
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 03:23:16 AM
Just get a XAVT and have all the bases covered.  :cheers:

https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=SwissChamp+XAVT
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 06:57:08 AM
 :iagree: :D
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 07:04:46 AM
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline JasonJ

Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 03:30:56 PM
Some really good suggestions here!  Thanks! 

I have thought about the Fieldmaster.  That's a nice model to have. 

I do love my Super Tinker though. Working on a handmade belt sheath for the Deluxe Tinker- sometimes those small pliers are useful, but sometimes not. Super Tinker is about as big as I like to go in my pocket- fits in the watch/coin pocket nicely. Go 4 layers like a Huntsman/Fieldmaster and I prefer the belt or pocket suspension clips.

For me I switch between urban and home/rural/woods so often and quickly, that carrying a single tool with all options is too much or too big, and carrying two tools has too much overlap and redundancy. Swapping SAK's when i get home is an option. Go from my Super Tinker to a Hunstman, Camper or similar- could afford to lose the scissors while at home or in the yard. That's where the wood saw comes in more handy at random, unexpected times (which is the whole point of a SAK).

I could obviously just carry one tool with all of my possible needed options at all times, but I'm trying to avoid that as I hate having half a pound of tool hanging off my belt or in my pocket.

I wonder if I could take something like a Camper, remove the opening layer. No.. then I'd lose the reamer, which is useful to me. Could the reamer be installed on the corkscrew backspring? So perhaps something like the Bushcrafter, but in cellidor not alox. Sm/Lg blades, wood saw, reamer. Or, if I have to, Sm/Lg blades, wood saw, corkscrew (with mini driver). I like the small blade on the wood saw equipped camper for carving and such.

Some things to think about....probably over think.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 04:02:03 PM
Switching from work carry to home carry is something I do as well.  I'll then switch from home carry to going out for dinner carry.  A bit much?  Naw, thats why we have so many wonderful options.  The mental gymnastics of what to carry is part of the fun, at least for a good many of us anyway  :salute:.

Redundancy happens.  I used to really try to avoid it at all costs BUT then I'd not carry a certain SAK which made no sense.  My suggestion is look to Wenger.  The can opener is so different than Vics it really becomes its own tool.  The lack of a small blade gives you a nail file which can be a good thing  :dunno:.  I'm currently loving my Cyclist.  I personally don't feel carrying it and my Salesman or Deluxe Tinker is terribly redundant YMMV. 

I also like my Highlander and either Vic I mentioned above.  At home I like to carry my Farmer.  If I add my Deluxe Tinker in I now have 3 blades and doubles up my openers.  A Wenger with scissors helps with a secondary blade and nail file.  Yes theres still a bottle opener and can opener but IMO the can opener is so different that I use it as a scraper, box opener, scoring tool more than an opener.     

Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 10:10:40 AM
Some really good suggestions here!  Thanks! 

I have thought about the Fieldmaster.  That's a nice model to have. 

I do love my Super Tinker though. Working on a handmade belt sheath for the Deluxe Tinker- sometimes those small pliers are useful, but sometimes not. Super Tinker is about as big as I like to go in my pocket- fits in the watch/coin pocket nicely. Go 4 layers like a Huntsman/Fieldmaster and I prefer the belt or pocket suspension clips.

For me I switch between urban and home/rural/woods so often and quickly, that carrying a single tool with all options is too much or too big, and carrying two tools has too much overlap and redundancy. Swapping SAK's when i get home is an option. Go from my Super Tinker to a Hunstman, Camper or similar- could afford to lose the scissors while at home or in the yard. That's where the wood saw comes in more handy at random, unexpected times (which is the whole point of a SAK).

I could obviously just carry one tool with all of my possible needed options at all times, but I'm trying to avoid that as I hate having half a pound of tool hanging off my belt or in my pocket.

I wonder if I could take something like a Camper, remove the opening layer. No.. then I'd lose the reamer, which is useful to me. Could the reamer be installed on the corkscrew backspring? So perhaps something like the Bushcrafter, but in cellidor not alox. Sm/Lg blades, wood saw, reamer. Or, if I have to, Sm/Lg blades, wood saw, corkscrew (with mini driver). I like the small blade on the wood saw equipped camper for carving and such.

Some things to think about....probably over think.

You can install the 93mm in-line awl into the 91mm frame as a replacement for the small blade. Then you'll have an even better reamer - Camper with i/l awl is awesome! Then a Classic for your scissors and you're good to go.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD