Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The watch collector challenge.

Chako · 380 · 8985

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: The watch collector challenge.
Reply #240 on: August 13, 2019, 01:19:43 PM
 :rofl: :rofl:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #241 on: August 14, 2019, 12:14:15 AM
Got to love them Gremlins.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #242 on: August 14, 2019, 12:15:29 AM
Day 62.

Another Shark Sport watch. Once again, there is a hidden red LED behind the watch face that shines through for the time, date, and alarm settings.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #243 on: August 14, 2019, 01:11:00 PM
That looks a huge watch Chako  :like: :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #244 on: August 15, 2019, 12:44:35 AM
It is Wspeed.

Day 63.

A Casio Edifice EF-527D-1AVEF aviator watch is on tap for today. This watch features a neat internal rotating bezel accessed by a crown at 8 PM. Good for 10 bar at that.

If you are ever in Sault Ste Marie Ontario Canada...eating at this location in the Cambrian Mall for Chinese food is never a disappointment..

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #245 on: August 15, 2019, 12:53:20 PM
I do like Casio watches especially for the price  :like: :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #246 on: August 15, 2019, 01:05:45 PM
I am a big fan. Thinking of adding another G-Shock to the collection. Those seem to be a bit addicting actually. I need to proceed slowly.  :rofl:

So far I have a Casio DW5600E-1V, which is your bog basic square retro model with no bells or whistles. Kinda reminds me of the early G-Shocks I can seem to remember. A Casio GA-100LG-8ACR which I bought because I liked the positive LCD along with that weird iced blue resin case. A Casio GA-700-4A in red...simply because I wanted a fairly large watch in red. Last but not least, a Casio GA-2000-1A9ER which I accidentally bought online. I wanted that one due to the yellow colour and also because it is part of the new carbon core lineup. Oddly enough, when I bought my first, the 700, I assumed that would be my last. Yeah, we know how that turned out.

So now, I am thinking of another model...just not sure yet what I will get.  :facepalm:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #247 on: August 15, 2019, 01:15:08 PM
I am sure you will find what you want soon enough Chako  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #248 on: August 16, 2019, 02:15:45 AM
Day 64.

Today, I wore a Lad Weather Altimeter/Barometer/Digital Compass/Thermometer watch. I actually like this watch a lot. It is relatively cheap for being a full blown ABC watch, or at least it was. Looks like the price on these went up since last I bought on off of Amazon. What I like about this watch is the nice big and beautiful graphs this watch gives you. Not only that, but you also get the time and temperature along with your graph of choice. I love watches that have barometers in them. I like to be able to forecast weather trends, and this watch does not disappoint. In fact, there are tiny little weather station icons to help you decipher the barometer feature...if you need them. I tend to leave the barometer graph as my main page whenever I wear this watch. Some of the watches weaknesses are a water resistance of only 3 atmosphere, and a somewhat soft crystal. With that aside, the features are great, and I have found the sensor data to be fairly accurate.

Here I am wearing the watch today. From the graph, you can see that today was an up and down kinda air pressure day.

We went on another little ride, this time going up Hwy 638 through Sylvan Valley, Leeburn, Ophir, Rydal Bank, Bruce Station, and ending up at Bruce Mines. All of these places are so small, if you blinked, you would miss them. Here is a photo taken of one of the plaques found in Rydal Banks.

and one focused on the sign...in case you were curious of what it said.

Overall, a great day with a good watch.

I also have a Pyle Sport ABC watch that is exactly the same watch with a bit of branding changed on it. That one has a nice green bezel as opposed to the LAD Weather's black bezel. I bought them thinking there was a bit of difference between them only to find they are the exact same watch. I believe the Pyle Sport versions are cheaper on Amazon...so if you want one, I would strongly suggest going for the Pyle copy.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #249 on: August 16, 2019, 12:58:21 PM
I like that watch  :like: :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #250 on: August 17, 2019, 12:45:22 AM
Day 65.

Next up for today's activities...a Casio EF-106D-2AV Edifice watch.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #251 on: August 17, 2019, 01:04:43 PM
I like that dark blue purple looking face :like: :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #252 on: August 18, 2019, 03:41:57 AM
Day 66.

A Kingwear KW88 Pro Android 7.0 smart watch for today. After having a few teething problems when I first got the watch, I am happy to say that all the gremlins have now disappeared. This is a kinda cool watch to operate. I love that I can talk to this watch and with the aid of google assistant, it will tell me the information I am looking for on the internet. A necessity as the screen is small, and trying to surf the internet on it is just at the limits for my poor eyes. Yeah you can do it...but it isn't something you would want to do often. The assistant is a godsend. Like many smart watches out there...there are a ton of watch faces to use. These aren't as intelligent as those on my Wear OS watches in that the faces that have complications, are not user changeable as those on the Wear OS system.

Here are a couple more watch faces...

This watch has a weird feature...it has a built in camera.

The underside of the watch illustrates the magnetic charging cable connector, a hatch for SIM cards in case you wanted to use this as a stand alone phone, and the ever present heart rate sensor.

This is a fairly good watch with many built in features. I bought it because I couldn't refuse one for the price as I was very curious about the whole smart watch thing. I found the included app worked but was fairly bare bones. I much prefer using it as a stand alone watch that can access WiFi...which is something I tend to use quite often at work. I find that I can get a day and a half on usual wear. I can extend that a little by turning things off that drain the battery. If I use all the features on, I am lucky to get through the day. I thought gestures to turn on the watch when you flick your wrist was a good idea, but I found that drained the battery quicker as it turned itself on and off constantly. I now have that turned off, and if I want to see the time, I just press the single pusher, and once again to turn off the watch. It does have its issues...it isn't a Samsung or an Apple. Not so much interested in Apple as I don't have an Apple phone...but I have been toying with a Samsung as I am given to understand their in-house front end is the industry best for Android phone users. But in the meantime, I do have this nice watch to keep me till I eventually break down and buy a Samsung. With that said, I have read countless articles that Wear OS from Google is struggling.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 03:48:48 AM by Chako »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #253 on: August 18, 2019, 01:22:23 PM
I like the look of that watch especially that you can change the face  :like: :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #254 on: August 18, 2019, 01:25:02 PM
Most smart watches out there give you the ability to change the watch face. This Android watch has literally hundreds to choose from...as do Wear OS as well as the Apple and Samsung watches also. The biggest issue here is that you don't see your watch face unless you have gestures enabled, or you physically press a pusher to activate the watch. Wear OS watches, from what I know from my watch that uses Wear OS, do show the watch face in a more energy efficient ghost mode. At least you can tell your time indoors as I have found bright sunlight will overpower the watch. I can't speak about Samsung or Apple. The think with these smart watches...you are always trying to conserve battery power to make it to the end of the day. There are some better models that have longer battery life...especially those geared towards sports...out there.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 01:33:14 PM by Chako »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #255 on: August 18, 2019, 01:31:11 PM
It will probably be one of those things that
get better the more new models they make  :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #256 on: August 18, 2019, 01:32:03 PM
Here is an example. I was drooling over getting myself a Casio Pro Trek WSD family smart watch. I thought it would make an excellent outdoor survival watch...except the battery time sucks...and it is based on the Wear OS by Google. This would necessitate carrying a small solar panel to keep the watch going as it will only last a day and a half at best on a charge..even less if you use GPS. Kinda defeats the purpose I think. I can still :drool: at them however, no matter how impractical they are.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #257 on: August 18, 2019, 01:39:24 PM
You need one to at least last for a couple of days
Especially if you are out camping or hiking

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #258 on: August 19, 2019, 12:21:00 AM
Day 67.

A sister watch to the LAD Weather watch I wore on day 64. Meet the Pyle Sport version. This and the Lad Weather watch were bought with me thinking they were different. Um...yeah, the colour was the only thing different between them. The Pyle sport was actually a lot cheaper than the Lad Weather...even though they are the same exact watch. Come to think about it, the Pyle has more branding both on the bezel as well as the back of the case. These make very nice ABC watches. As previously mentioned, I like to keep the Barometer graph in place as I like to forecast the weather....must be something about me being a Geography teacher.  :think:

Anyhow, I love this watch, and am happy to have two copies in different colours. If I had to do this again, I would just buy 2 of the Pyles and save a bit of dough.

I had an IPSC competition today. Here I am doing a self portrait with watch at the gun club.

The barometric trend graph doesn't lie. We had a storm rolling in. In fact, when the air pressure drops, I tend to get these little headaches...and today was no exception. Each dot represents an hour...and I do believe this watch keeps track of the past 36 to 38 hours...very useful. My Casio Pathfinder also does a graph, but it is very small. I much prefer the ones found on these watches.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #259 on: August 19, 2019, 01:20:23 PM
Looks a very handy watch  :like: :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #260 on: August 20, 2019, 01:35:18 AM
It is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #261 on: August 20, 2019, 01:39:13 AM
Day 68.

A Shark Sport Greenland 2 watch was on tap for today. It is a very nice watch in many respects. It has a 24 hour display on the top, the seconds are counted on a rotating disk on the bottom, and left and right are the day and date. Lots of complications on this watch...and I have one big problem with it. I need a magnifying class to see the day/date. Picked up the eye catching yellow and black version. only resistant to 3 atmosphere, and the lume on the hands are a bit of a let down. Other than that, it is a very nice looking watch in my opinion.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #262 on: August 20, 2019, 01:43:38 PM
I quite like that :like: :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #263 on: August 21, 2019, 01:08:00 AM
Day 69.

A beautiful Brigada Verawood watch. I bought it for two reasons...it has a maple leaf on it...and it was one of those flash sales where I got it so cheap I couldn't refuse. It states on Amazon that it is a Swiss watch...but it really isn't. It is a Chinese company. With that said, I have been very happy with the quality of this timepiece.

Today was another day trip to Manitoulin Island. I took this photo at the Espanola mall.

On the way back, we stopped at a new scenic spot at Algoma Mills, just east of Blind River.

Eating at one of our favorite Chinese  restaurants...Lucky Garden in Blind River.

The watch has a nice weight, and I love the Verawood on the face and bracelet. When the sun hits it, it just glows nicely, and I love the grain texture on the watch face. Setting the time and date tells me this is not the cheapest made watch out there. I am impressed with this Brigada watch. I just do not like the dishonesty of their ads stating that Brigada is a Swiss company, which it isn't. If the rest of their watches are of similar quality, they do not need to lie about their origin.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #264 on: August 21, 2019, 01:19:36 PM
Nice looking watch Chako and some great places that you go to  :like: :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #265 on: August 22, 2019, 12:10:01 AM
Thanks. I try to visit some great places whenever I can.  ;)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #266 on: August 22, 2019, 12:11:14 AM
Day 70.

Hard to believe this has been going on for 70 days. Now down to my last display case and all the automatics in the watch winder case.

Today, a Neff Odyssey. 10 bar water resistant, white, and an interesting LCD layout. I couldn't leave it in the skater shop I saw it in.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #267 on: August 22, 2019, 12:14:36 AM
That is a very white watch
It wouldn’t look like that for long if I would wear it  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #268 on: August 22, 2019, 01:50:20 PM
I hear you. Probably the same for me as well.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #269 on: August 23, 2019, 01:52:45 AM
Day 71.

I really like the magnetic clasp on this mesh bracelet. It is super comfortable. This watch is made by the Accutime Watch Corporation.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69