Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need help with simple repair of multitool scissors!

Offline mikekoz

I have a cheap multitool where the scissors spring came disconnected from the lower part of the implement.

0608191201-1" border="0

0615190810-1" border="0

I need to put these two pieces together so the spring works with the scissors. I have tried 3 types of gorilla glue and nothing works. The last type I used was epoxy. I have never used it before, but followed the instructions, mixed it like it said, put the pieces together, clamped them , and let them sit overnight. When I remove the clamp, almost right after I open and close the scissors from the tool, the two pieces separate. I have a soldering iron, but am not too good with it! The two photos I attached should give you an idea of what I am trying to do. Can anybody offer any advice??  Thanks!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Need help with simple repair of multitool scissors!
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 03:20:39 PM
Have you tried making sure the pieces were aligned and then tightening the tool pivot?
Looks like the spring section has two protrusions that sit into dimples on the blade section. A loose pivot could have caused the setup to slip out.  :think:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 03:29:59 PM
 :iagree:

No glue is used in MT construction.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 06:20:48 PM
Try add very small screw to it, it looks like same style as Charge/Wave scissors so it needs to lock before it works. If there is hole in both parts you could add small piece of rod so it works again

Only Tools Matters

Offline mikekoz

Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 07:58:36 PM
   Thanks everybody. yes, I know these things are not held together with glue, I was just trying to find another way to keep the two pieces of steel together to hold the spring in place. From what I have read, using epoxy should have held those two pieces of steel together. After looking at the side of it where the pivot is, there is a gap there, and this tool has no apparent way of tightening it. There are 4 screws that apparently hold the black scales on the tool, and it is possible there are pivot screws under that. I will try taking those off a bit later. 

Offline mikekoz

Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 02:07:58 AM
Have you tried making sure the pieces were aligned and then tightening the tool pivot?
Looks like the spring section has two protrusions that sit into dimples on the blade section. A loose pivot could have caused the setup to slip out.  :think:

A loose pivot seems to be the problem. I took off the black steel out shell of the tool, but as I feared, the pivot rod is just that...a rod, not a screw. There is no way I know of to tighten it. Would be cool to fix, but I do not have the know how, and it is a $12.00 tool. Not really worth the investment in time.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 05:29:38 AM
Perhaps, being that there isn't much to lose and it would be a good repair experience opportunity,  maybe try whacking the pin with a hammer while the other side of the pin is positioned on a vise/anvil?
Use a clamp to make sure the scissors spring is positioned correctly in the scissors dimples?

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 11:47:51 AM
 :iagree: Use a punch with a hammer and anvil (or just something flat and very sturdy) to repeen the pin :cheers: Hope you can get it fixed :salute:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 08:41:32 PM
   I have never tried peening, unless I had too much to drink!!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  I actually bought some real strong epoxy and so far it seems to be working. I may post a pic of what the inner shell of this tool likes like over the weekend and may try a more permanent fix after that. Thanks everybody and sorry for the corny humor!!! lol

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 09:06:19 PM
 :rofl:

Glad to read the epoxy did the trick! :like:

If it doesn't hold in the long run, we can help you get drunk....I mean help fix the scissors...no...help get you drunk. And enjoy the corn humor. :drink:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%