Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Imperial BSA Golden Oldie (1950's ?) Needs Restoration and History

Offline SteveRacer

• Mary had a little lamb. With mint jelly and mashed
I was digging through my Snap-On bottom toolbox today, waaay back there in the dusty part that has the icky spiders and spider remnants, where I don't dare stick my hands on account I'm a pansy when unseen creepies move about...  :ahhh

And unearthed this:

That's a BSA (some sort of US militia ??  :D) "multitool" that was once owned by my father.  Given his age and my advanced understanding of the so-called "maths", I was able to date this pterodactyl to the early-mid 1950's.  :think:

The brand is IMPERIAL of Providence, RI  Note well-worn main blade stampings:

This style was made from about 1949 to 1962, with black plastic handles.  My research so far reveals that it does, however, have the long screwdriver, and the metal "Be Prepared" Federal-style sheild on the scale.  Which means it was the mid production model, not the early short screwdriver model or the late plastic sheild model.  So that would make sense with my father's estimate of being a Boy Scout circa 1952-1954.

I think I owe it to myself and the knife to do some serious cleaning and restoration.  I don't want to take the brass pins out of the liners and take it apart, so I'll just try my best to clean it up whilst still intact.  Despite the years of neglect it isn't in bad shape.  ;)

Anyone with further information, or former BSA "militia" members, or hints on cleanup please feel free to chime in.

-steve

[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
That's beautiful :drool:

And in good nick for it's age too :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
wow great found!!! :o
A

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
I actually love the old Imperial company. They made some very nice carbon steel back in the day. Now all you see is stainless. So have fun getting it back working.

By the way I had the same one with the White scale. I wish I never got rid of it.
S

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
I have an Imperial its made in Ireland for Schrade, it has red plastic scales, the tools and knife are chrome plated and, it looks cheaply made.
(

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Well it is the same name but different time era and company. Schrade went the way of the dodo by cheapening theline they carried.
However the old Imperial knife company made very high quality knives for not only the Boy Scouts but the Girl scouts, and the electrician knife for the Military in the early years. All great cutters!
S

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Nice!  My old scout knife was a Camillus and it rusted as soon as i got it. High carbon i guess. i dumped it for a tinkerer that i still have.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
How did I miss this one :think: That is a beautiful knife Steve :tu: Have you got it clean and shiny yet? If so can we see it :drool: :D Man that is a nice functional Carbon Steel beauty from when they knew how to make metal :o ;) :D

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
I bought a scout knife or two with imperial on the stamp but bsa officials told they were made by camillus.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%