Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Teaching young people what to do when the police pull them over

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
I watch live cam and youtube videos it is crazy how people conduct themselves when getting stopped by the police. I have been talking to my grandkids about this. Number one pull off the road in a timely manner in a safe place. number two carry your driver's license, proof of insurance, and an up to date registration card. Number three stay in the car, roll down the windows unless it is too cold or raining so you can be easily seen keep your hands on the steering wheel in plain sight. Ask the officer for permission before getting papers from the glovebox or center console. When asked a question tell the truth even if have something you shouldn't you could get a break. Lastly, do not smoke weed in your car the smell does not go away! These things seem simple but a lot of people don't have a clue I have seen people talk themselves into tickets or getting their cars towed? In this day and age, we need to be careful out there for our own safety as well as the officers. Two of my grandkids have thanked me for saving them from getting tickets one of the officers was very impressed on how they conducted themselves.   
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Good advice Mike  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Another one is never say can’t you catch some real criminals  :ahhh

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
The getting out of the car one is a Biggie.
Someone I know went on a trip to the USA, and did that.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Good advice, Mike!  :salute:

And nice add-ons, W and Pabs.  :ahhh

My advice is to not bring up the doughnut-funk wafting off of their uniform.  >:D
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Also, be sure your four-year-old hasn't shoplifted any toys.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
 :rofl: :rofl: :facepalm:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Here is one...on not what to do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOgYHWiLqnA

:rofl:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
 :rofl:
"Pull that lift to the side of the road".
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
 :rofl: good one  :rofl:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
We are all having fun with this, but in the end, the only person hurt by this crap is the driver.  I am totally with Mike on this one.  You see some people that seem to like to do things like lowering their window only slightly and arguing with the officer.  While that may make you feel like a big shot on Youtube it can also cause you serious problems later on.

For example, I have a small apartment building, and when I investigate a new potential tenant I always look on FB, IG, LinkedIn, Youtube etc to see if they are there, and if so, what kinds of things they post.  I have eliminated 90% of my tenant related headaches by doing this- and I guarantee you if I see someone being that much of a stickler for the "rules" and trying to manipulate situations, you can bet they aren't moving into my house.  Someone like that is likely to cause more trouble than they are worth, and you can bet that the authorities will be ready to pounce the moment they step over the line.

Trust me on this one, antagonizing someone with a firearm is one of the dumbest things you can do in life...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
I assume this advice is USA specific - I'm not required to carry License (depending on what equipment I'm operating) or proof of rego or insurance.

Partially because the last two are automated and the friendly cop is free to look it up on his computer.

The first one you can present to the police station at a later date, if necessary.

Also, fun point - depending on your State, the License does not necessarily also double as proof of ID (despite having all the ID points on it - photo, address, Date of birth, etc etc)

ANYWAY, variations in local laws aside, whenever a discussion on police comes up, I am mandated to post this video, partially because it is never not funny, and partially because I know the bloke involved (the officer, not the guy in the car), so it never gets old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6SMGrIaals

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Where I am from you must just avoid being a total smurf. If you don't have the drivers license there is a small fine but nothing major. And there is almost no chances of getting shot.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Where I am from you must just avoid being a total smurf. If you don't have the drivers license there is a small fine but nothing major. And there is almost no chances of getting shot.  :D
I'd still stay away from the Barbie section when out shopping. :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
All good points. I'm sure others on this forum who are officers can chime in, but i have some experience in this arena, which shall remain ambiguous. But it is real and helpful nonetheless

1) dont be a wisea$$. The life you save could be your own

2) turn off your radio. The officer likely wont share your musical taste and doesnt want to repeat commands or requests

3) at night, turn on your interior dome light so the officer can see inside your car before they get up to you

4) turn off your engine. Maybe take the key out of the ignition and put it on the dash, then put you hands on the wheel and dont move them until told otherwise. The officer will know you cant easily slip the car into gear and take off. They might ask you about this one, as it is not common

5) if you have a firearm and are licensed, start by politely letting the officer know you are licensed, and then let them know whether or not you have a firearm with you. Then, let them know where it is. Ask them how they want you to proceed

6) if given an order not to reach for the firearm (or even if you dont have a firearm and you've been told not to move your hands), then dont reach for anything. Not your wallet, license, or registration, not a cigarette lighter. Dont even scratch your ass. Any movement after a dont reach order could be interpreted as a reach for a gun. Ask the officer how they would like you to proceed. Saw a video where a man told the officer he was legally carrying a gun. The officer told him not to reach for it. He said he wasn't reaching for it. Unfortunately he reached for his wallet but didnt say so. To the officer, he had a gun and was reaching.

Quick story...I was once pulled over by a trooper and told him I was licensed to carry and was indeed carrying.  He asked me where it was and I told him. He asked me what kind it was and I told him

I was a taken a little off guard when he asked to see it, but I complied. He had said that was a request, not an order. When I finally showed him the piece, he was appreciative. I had been carrying a 1972 Walther PPKs from what was then West Germany, having been imported to the US by a now defunct arms importer out of Virginia. Evidently he was a fan of those. Nice little piece.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
My short version:

Be polite, do what the officer asks, don't do anything that could cause concern to the officer.

Admittedly I'm old enough to not be a "target demographic" of interest, and I live in a country where most police are reasonably relaxed.

All my interactions in recent years have been standard random breath tests where they often don't even bother asking to see my licence.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Good add ons both serious and humorous funny stuff. People need help and support the police in any way they can. Being a peace officer in these times is a difficult job, to say the least, I am thankful for the work they do. Greg, I like your short version but when talking to young people sometimes you need to be specific. Just saying
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Sadly YouTube is making things worse for officers since everyone now seems to think they are lawyers and do not have to comply with the officers.  Do they have valid points?  In some cases, yes.  Does that give them the right to act like obnoxious little smurfholes?  I don't think it does.

The last time I was pulled over, the RCMP officer said sorry at least three times, lol.  Could be because she lives a couple of houses down and our kids play together.  Saying that, just remember that they are people, friends, neighbors and parents just like the rest of us.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Good add ons both serious and humorous funny stuff. People need help and support the police in any way they can. Being a peace officer in these times is a difficult job, to say the least, I am thankful for the work they do. Greg, I like your short version but when talking to young people sometimes you need to be specific. Just saying

Mike, I agree 100%, but how do you get them to pay attention for long enough to absorb the message  ;)

I remember as a youngster being certain I knew better so I didn't need to listen.  Of course I didn't know better or listen, so had to learn the hard way too often.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Greg

- An honest discussion about the issue about half hour long. Certainly could be a caveat to getting their drivers permit or license.

-Short but impactful messages relating to the above discussion, quickly zinged to them on the way out the door every time they go out. Something catchy and short

- Repetition of those messages

- Lead by example if you are pulled over with your kids in the car

Offline RR1551

Don't be a smartass, keep your hands where they can see them, and furnish them with the required documents...if you're carrying a weapon(s), let them know. Remember, nowadays cops are equipped with body-cameras, so don't go creating any negative evidence against yourself -- stay cool, calm & collected

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 12:19:11 AM by RR1551 »

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
So doesn't all of this seem like just obvious Common Sense really?

The time to start teaching them what to do is when they are born. :dunno:

Look at the Starbucks Incident over the Weekend in Arizona as a perfect example of this.

Stupid is as Stupid Does.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
It’s amazing how many people don’t know
how to act when being stopped by the police  :facepalm:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
It may have to do with the frequency of the occurrence, and of course where it happens.

Last time I was stopped was driving past the Oktoberfest years ago on my way home from work. The officer on foot patrol just asked if I'd imbibed, proceeded to do a nose check inside the car and then promptly waved me on. (Now of course they don't allow people to drive that close to the O'fest any more). I guess over here in continental Europe LEOs are a little more relaxed than in the UK or the US.

Oh yes, and the last and only time from and in respective vehicles was when I (foolishly, because I had in fact read up on the law but forgotten, if not very dangerously because I patiently waited for oncoming traffic) committed the worst of road related crimes - namely making a U turn - in Queensland (Australia) of all places! The officers (Federal Police off the Cairns airport, one a suspiciously young looking Acting Sergeant, no less) pulled me over but then were very kind and let me off with a warning. On the whole I can't have made a very threatening impression, what with wife and two kids in the car (and multitool safe in my backpack).

I'm rambling a bit, but just to show that perhaps the US is rather extreme in terms of how police view a traffic stop and the potential dangers involved.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
I raised five kids a lot of times when I talked to them about important matters it seemed like they were not listening. I would just tell them what was on my mind and not overdo it because I knew I was planting seeds. Now being a grandparent it's different they seem eager to listen to what I have to say. I think the police are treated so badly these days that when they are treated like they should be that they tend to be easy on you when you do. Two of my grandkids have gotten pulled over in both cases the officers asked them who told them what to do when being pulled over they told them, my Grandpa, they laughed gave them a warning.     

Mike

• No Life Club
Oh yes, and the last and only time from and in respective vehicles was when I (foolishly, because I had in fact read up on the law but forgotten, if not very dangerously because I patiently waited for oncoming traffic) committed the worst of road related crimes - namely making a U turn - in Queensland (Australia) of all places!

You what?!

You're lucky you're not still incarcerated!

Making an Improper U-Turn is worth 3 demerit points and incurs a fine of up to $106!

Probably got off light because it was QLD.

In SA, busting a U-ey can cost you around $450 (because there is no "improper U-turn" fine, so you can an expiation notice for failing to give way instead....it's a stretch of the law, but arguing with traffic cops is a bit like arguing on the internet.....)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Oh please.
A parking ticket 2 years ago costed me an equivalent of $130US and is considered a minor offense.
$106 for a large offense is a laugh. ;)

• No Life Club
Oh please.
A parking ticket 2 years ago costed me an equivalent of $130US and is considered a minor offense.
$106 for a large offense is a laugh. ;)

Our parking tickets are managed by local councils (and they can honestly just make up whatever fines they like. I've had them range from $20 to $140, depending on how important that particular council thought they were)

but, they don't count as a traffic offence, (at least for the most part, there are certain parking violations that contradict state road law, rather than local council parking preferences), so you can theoretically rack up as many as you like.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
I'm rambling a bit, but just to show that perhaps the US is rather extreme in terms of how police view a traffic stop and the potential dangers involved.

I don't blame our police for being cautious when they make traffic stops, especially initially.  Too many officers have died preventable deaths because they unwittingly pulled over violent criminals for what would have been minor traffic violations, and were killed because they were unprepared for the surprise attack when it came.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%