Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recommend me a Scandi ground knife please.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Recommend me a Scandi ground knife please.
Reply #30 on: December 20, 2008, 03:21:03 PM
I used to have one of those monsters :D

I bought it as a blade blank over on BB :)

Funny you should say that...
Did you get them from Andy too ???

Did your's come through the regular post wrapped in a single sheet of newspaper too ::)

LOL.  To be honest I can't remember so I doubt it was quite as bad as that for me.  I do remember it was about as sharp as a spoon though. ::)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #31 on: December 20, 2008, 06:23:13 PM
I used to have one of those monsters :D

I bought it as a blade blank over on BB :)

Funny you should say that...
Did you get them from Andy too ???

Did your's come through the regular post wrapped in a single sheet of newspaper too ::)

LOL.  To be honest I can't remember so I doubt it was quite as bad as that for me.  I do remember it was about as sharp as a spoon though. ::)
Oh mine wasn't exactly sharp either :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 11:57:12 PM
Just a couple of remarks/questions...

12C27 is the single most common steel used in Scandinavian knives, if the steel is stainless and the maker doesn't tell what steel it is, it's usually 12C27. All current production knives from Brusletto is 12C27 (though that is probably about to change, they are planning a new model which will be made with a fancier steel). Also, Helle uses 12C27 in their non-laminated blades (the low end knives). In general, the steel used in Norway, Sweden and Finland usually is Swedish, so I've never heard of a reputable factory using bad steel. :)

Second, what are you using your knife for when you don't trust anything but a full tang knife? I did not see a full tang knife till I was an adult, and I have only seen broken tangs in photos (and often this has been associated with welding problems for handmade laminated blades). I guess there are some uses where full tang is a must, but a properly built knife with a rat tailed tang is strong. Full tang knives are sort of a new concept in Scandinavia, back when people actually depended on their knives for their livelyhood, they weren't made. Though as you mentioned, they're often combined with an axe. I'm just honestly curious, not trying to start an argument. I honestly think a random Helle with a laminated blade and rat tailed tang is stronger than a full tang knife in 440C (brittle steel). Kukris and lapp knives are not full tang either, to mention a couple of other designs not exactly known for being reserved for light use only.

Reply #33 on: December 24, 2008, 08:19:32 AM
First up I totally agree with you about 12c27  :), in my opinion it is the best real world stainless steel :)

That is exactly my problem with Scandi blades in general, there made to be used in conjunction with an axe/hatchet which you really can't get away with in this country anymore, it really is one or the other, and I'm not really an axe man so it has to be a knife, and that knife has to be capable of handling any and all job's I put before it, including batoning.

Now I'll admit to not being very knowledgable about Scandi's, as I've all but ignored them for the last 10 years or so :-[, but with the exception of the excellent Eka knives, they all seem a bit to thin, and not really robust enough for heavier tasks to me, but I'm happy to be proved wrong :)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: December 24, 2008, 04:25:53 PM
The EKA knives I have and pretty much every Mora I've ever seen have pretty thin blades, with the pros and cons that brings. You could take a look at Helle's heavier models, which also have laminated steel and see if those suit you better. The blades are thicker and the steel sandwich makes the total stronger (though with no flex, but you won't get that from a thick blade anyway). Also, I think Marttiini make stronger/heavier knives than EKA/Mora.

I haven't got one myself, but perhaps a Helle Safari could be something that fits your requirements? Another option for an allrounder is the Helle Eggen, which I do own. I could measure the blade thickness if you want. (Can't do it now, about to leave for Christmas dinner with friends. :) ) Haven't carried the Eggen for a while, but I really think both of those would handle batoning with ease. (No, I haven't tested it, so I could be talking out of my a**. We can carry a full woodworking kit as long as we're on a hike over here. ;) )

Mora and EKA make knives which are hard to beat in price/performance, but my experience tells they probably do not make the strongest knives. Brusletto is about to release a survival knife which will be made in Chipper, I think, and AFAIK full tang, so you could wait and see as well. It's the knife I mentioned which will be made in fancier steel. That knife won't be very “Scandinavian”, though. More of a straightforward, modern survival knife.

I'm very fond of the traditionally influenced designs, so I am in no way even close to objective here, I'll admit that. :)

Ragweedforge is a nice site, but frankly, some of his assertions about the knives he sells seems pretty strange for someone having grown up with that kind of knives as the norm. (E.g. Helle Nying is a woodcarving/utility knife, not especially designed for fishermen. I have a very hard time believing it is designed as a fisherman's knife.)

I talk a lot about Helle and Brusletto here, but that's simply because those are the ones I know anything about.

Disclaimer: I'm not a hunter, not a survivalist, not a knife speSmurfpillst and certainly not a lawyer.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: December 24, 2008, 05:17:57 PM
Even a half-informed opinion is better than most manage around here. ;)

:pommel:  I'll get my coat shall I?

Reply #36 on: December 24, 2008, 06:51:18 PM
The EKA knives I have and pretty much every Mora I've ever seen have pretty thin blades, with the pros and cons that brings. You could take a look at Helle's heavier models, which also have laminated steel and see if those suit you better. The blades are thicker and the steel sandwich makes the total stronger (though with no flex, but you won't get that from a thick blade anyway). Also, I think Marttiini make stronger/heavier knives than EKA/Mora.

I haven't got one myself, but perhaps a Helle Safari could be something that fits your requirements? Another option for an allrounder is the Helle Eggen, which I do own. I could measure the blade thickness if you want. (Can't do it now, about to leave for Christmas dinner with friends. :) ) Haven't carried the Eggen for a while, but I really think both of those would handle batoning with ease. (No, I haven't tested it, so I could be talking out of my a**. We can carry a full woodworking kit as long as we're on a hike over here. ;) )

Mora and EKA make knives which are hard to beat in price/performance, but my experience tells they probably do not make the strongest knives. Brusletto is about to release a survival knife which will be made in Chipper, I think, and AFAIK full tang, so you could wait and see as well. It's the knife I mentioned which will be made in fancier steel. That knife won't be very “Scandinavian”, though. More of a straightforward, modern survival knife.

I'm very fond of the traditionally influenced designs, so I am in no way even close to objective here, I'll admit that. :)

Ragweedforge is a nice site, but frankly, some of his assertions about the knives he sells seems pretty strange for someone having grown up with that kind of knives as the norm. (E.g. Helle Nying is a woodcarving/utility knife, not especially designed for fishermen. I have a very hard time believing it is designed as a fisherman's knife.)

I talk a lot about Helle and Brusletto here, but that's simply because those are the ones I know anything about.

Disclaimer: I'm not a hunter, not a survivalist, not a knife speSmurfpillst and certainly not a lawyer.
Very informative post mate :tu:

The Brusletto survival knife sound's very interesting, and definetly one I'll be keeping an eye open for, as is the Helle Safari, and there Earth looks good too :)

As to your Eggen, it would be a great help if you could measure the thickness of it, as it looks to be about 3mm to me, but no one seems to list it's dimentions :think:. Also I've heard a few tales of Helle blades de-laminating, does it happen very often or is it just a case of an urban legend ???

Thanks in advance mate :tu:

Reply #37 on: December 24, 2008, 06:51:51 PM
Even a half-informed opinion is better than most manage around here. ;)

:pommel:  I'll get my coat shall I?
Best grab your coat before Ben bans you :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #38 on: December 24, 2008, 09:07:24 PM
Thanks for the info.  :tu:  The Eggen was a blade I had previously looked into as I liked the shape of it.  I'll have to have another look at it.  :)
I'm back!!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: December 25, 2008, 03:38:27 PM
As to your Eggen, it would be a great help if you could measure the thickness of it, as it looks to be about 3mm to me, but no one seems to list it's dimentions :think:. Also I've heard a few tales of Helle blades de-laminating, does it happen very often or is it just a case of an urban legend ???

Hehe, I measured it with a pair of calipers to 3.0 mm. ;)

I have never heard of a Helle delaminating before you mentioned it. Helle is one of the most usual brands people buy in Norway, so if it was at all usual, I think I probably should have known about it. So, while I really can't tell whether it's an urban legend or not, it's news to me. :)

While on the subject of rat tailed tangs, on e.g. a Helle Eggen (and most or all traditionally styled designs) the tang does not end inside the handle, it runs the entire length of the handle, and ends in a knob or plate which helps secure the handle material to the rest of the knife (and is often used to secure the knife in the sheath). I guess you knew that already, but as you said you've mainly handled Moras and EKAs, and it's hard to tell from the pictures I've seen of the knives where there is a plate instead of a knob, I thought I should mention it.

Some Helle blades showing the tang profiles: http://www.helle.no/go.cfm?id=67166&type=text&lang=nob&path=0i66168i66169i66179i67166

Reply #40 on: December 25, 2008, 04:10:52 PM
Thanks for that mate :tu:

I think I'm going to get a Helle within the next couple of weeks now :), and seeing as you recommended the Eggen It's top of the list atm :tu:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: December 25, 2008, 06:11:50 PM
Just don't  :twak: me if you end up choosing a Helle and find it doesn't suit your purposes. :)

Reply #42 on: December 25, 2008, 09:50:35 PM
Well I'm leaning toward the (full tang) Helle Fire now anyway :D

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #43 on: December 26, 2008, 02:36:45 PM
sometimes i wonder where guys need these ojrj4937cr3047-special steels when the realistic needs and the use aint so harsh at all,so any common old-school carbon steel would do the trick too,atleast when theres decent abount of the  steel used :D.i dont meant to offend anyone,no no,i have some special steels too but why would i need REALLY any hi-tech steel,to make shelter,hack thru ice,scrape firesteel etc,the normal outdoor duties,that guys did with simple puukko´s times ago with no problems,and they needed to do it every-day basis,not just for occasional trips for fun. :think:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: December 26, 2008, 02:45:49 PM
I agree.  One of the things that I like about SAKs is the fact I could get a working edge on it pretty much anywhere, without to much time and energy.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: December 26, 2008, 07:58:13 PM
Although I agree, I am still a bit of a tart when it comes to steels as I like to get the best I can afford.

I'd be quite happy to pay a bit more for a fancier steel.
I'm back!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #46 on: December 27, 2008, 02:29:26 PM
Although I agree, I am still a bit of a tart when it comes to steels as I like to get the best I can afford.

I'd be quite happy to pay a bit more for a fancier steel.

yep i know :D,i just was thinking the actual level of use.of course its satisfyin to know that your steel might sunk titanic but if the fancy piece of material is only collecting dust in shelf,wouldnt it be the same if it was just chrome plated piece of lead or plastic.off course its way cool and keeps mans mind in comfort when he can rely on the blade when he goes to woods,i dont deny but but but....naah,i better just shut the he-- up,and keep quiet :D.but when u se these films where some truibes that live in amazonian forests,they carry blades made out of leaf springs and they do all the tasks with it with no problems,and we,the "civilized" geeks collect some hi-tech materials...its just odd.im guilty to that as well.i dont have to rely my life and everyday survival on any blade,like they have to,and still they are happy with tools we see as primitive. ::). :think:

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #47 on: December 27, 2008, 07:50:50 PM
Thanks to this thread I finally ordered a Mora 2000. I've been wanting this knife for ages, but always forget to order it.  :think:  :D

I received my Mora 2000 and I love it! Fantastic knife for the $$$.
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: December 27, 2008, 11:52:24 PM
Thanks to this thread I finally ordered a Mora 2000. I've been wanting this knife for ages, but always forget to order it.  :think:  :D

Yeah I should get one.  The sheath is fugly though.  Eric at on scene tactical does a nice kydex one.  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: December 28, 2008, 12:11:26 AM

Yeah I should get one.  The sheath is fugly though.  Eric at on scene tactical does a nice kydex one.  :)

I like the sheath!  :pok:  :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: December 28, 2008, 12:15:02 AM
I would say that you have no class, but you do have some lovely CRK pieces.  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: December 28, 2008, 12:18:18 AM
I would say that you have no class, but you do have some lovely CRK pieces.  :D

Ben, I'm hurt.... I'm really hurt! :(  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%