Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PSA - Check your flashlights 887

No Life Club Posts: 4,235
Re: PSA - Check your flashlights
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 04:38:12 AM »
Thank you very much, Pabs!  :salute:

Definitely worth getting back into rechargeable batteries again. My only experience with them is limited to the rechargeable NiCd and rechargeable alkaline batteries from the 90s(which weren't great and got set aside when they couldn't run my digital camera and other modern high-drain devices). Will be nice to try the NiMH, with Eneloops.  :)

I think the eneloop is light years ahead of good old nicd or even most nimh cells, they don't have as much 'memory' problem, and no need to empty to charge everytime.  If you are into rechargeable, they are really nice to get.

Personally, I am just a really forgetful person, and it's hard to keep track what needs to get charged or not.  So most of my AAA/AA remotes/appliances I use Lithium AA/AAA, but for stuff I use very frequently and track everyday(like my wireless keyboard/mouse), I think eneloops are the way to go.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 10,406 Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2019, 04:44:18 AM »
 :iagree: thanks, comis!  :cheers:

I was thinking Eneloops for my EDC lights, digital camera, and neck fan(I use at work to keep my face from sweating while finishing wood). They are all high-drain, so the costs would even out relative to the Lithium rather quickly. But, for emergency gear and such, Lithiums are still the best option as far as I can figure. 10-20 year average shelf life, high output, lower cost, and reliability are the strong suits.

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 13,899 Hidalgo, Castillo del Hook
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 09:12:38 AM »
Yeah, lithium is best for emergency gear that needs to stay on standby.  :tu:

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!
No Life Club Posts: 1,316
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2019, 12:45:12 PM »
I think the eneloop is light years ahead of good old nicd or even most nimh cells, they don't have as much 'memory' problem, and no need to empty to charge everytime.  If you are into rechargeable, they are really nice to get.

Personally, I am just a really forgetful person, and it's hard to keep track what needs to get charged or not.  So most of my AAA/AA remotes/appliances I use Lithium AA/AAA, but for stuff I use very frequently and track everyday(like my wireless keyboard/mouse), I think eneloops are the way to go.

An Eneloop is simply a Brand Name plopped on a NiMH Battery made by Sanyo/Panasonic.

I agree that they are great and can be a lifesaver if you are a Flashlight that gets sporadic use and if I were able to monitor and make sure that I was always carrying charged cells on the job every day.

I am not though and experience has shown me 2 things about this.

1-I will simply not have working batteries when I need them if I am required to keep charged units with me during work.
2-I will be OK with regular Alkaline Batteries as long as I make sure to use them quickly and move on to fresh ones as soon as I need them and I need them a lot.

I am trying to balance the needs of work which I can not negotiate or plan for really vs. the idea of recharging batteries all the time so that I always have them ready and I just need them faster and more than I can recharge them.

If this is not your reality for whatever reason then I am happy for you but it is not mine.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 13,899 Hidalgo, Castillo del Hook
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2019, 01:46:05 PM »
One thing I love about eneloops is the discharge curve:

At a discharge rate of 1 Amp, which would deplete a 1900mAh white eneloop AA in about 2 hours, the eneloop gives you higher voltage, and thus power (because power = volts X amps) than a alkaline non-rechargeable Duracell Ultra AA.

BUT! At a small discharge rate of 0.3 Amps and less, while the eneloop gives you the same discharge curve, the alkaline Duracell suddenly has a much better discharge curve. Eneloops are still cheaper over even 30 cycles though.

Thus, eneloops outperform Alkaline batteries at high discharge rates by a huge amount, and Energizer Lithiums outperform eneloops by a similar margin.
At low discharge rates, alkalines outperform eneloops.

Energizer Lithium batteries have a much better discharge curve at low to medium-high discharge rates than eneloops.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 01:51:06 PM by Don Pablo »

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $180.00
PayPal Fees: $9.62
Net Balance: $170.38