Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which is the Best Fishing Multitool?

Poll

Best Fishing MT

Leatherman PST 2
4 (25%)
Victorinox Fisherman/Angler
3 (18.8%)
Leatherman Wave
2 (12.5%)
Victorinox Skipper
1 (6.3%)
Gerber MP400
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Which is the Best Fishing Multitool?
on: June 23, 2019, 02:51:28 AM
Which is best for the Tackle-box and why? I personally prefer the PST 2 (hook sharpener) but I'm curious to hear your thoughts! 😊
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Which is the Best Fishing Multitool?
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 03:34:46 AM
Add another vote for PSTII. :tu:

It just screams fishing tool and has everything you need for basic fishing tools.

That said, if I wanted a fishing tool to use, I'd use the FliK Fish by Gerber. Absolutely perfect set of outboard tools for fishing. OHO knife blade and coated file with hook sharpener. :)

They are too expensive to use for fishing though. I paid over $100 for mine NIB, but they usually go higher in great condition. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 03:35:13 AM
Interesting list.  Several very useful tools not on the list.  Coast fishing tool, Renegade and Winchester fishing tools (Gerber knockoffs), and the SOG Black Tip. Of the items you've chosen I choose the PST II.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 03:36:39 AM
Interesting list.  Several very useful tools not on the list.  Coast fishing tool, Renegade and Winchester fishing tools (Gerber knockoffs), and the SOG Black Tip. Of the items you've chosen I choose the PST II.
Good call on the Winchester/Renegade. Cheap as dirt and work OK. No tears when the waters claim it. :woohoo:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 03:38:31 AM
Add another vote for PSTII. :tu:

It just screams fishing tool and has everything you need for basic fishing tools.

That said, if I wanted a fishing tool to use, I'd use the FliK Fish by Gerber. Absolutely perfect set of outboard tools for fishing. OHO knife blade and coated file with hook sharpener. :)

They are too expensive to use for fishing though. I paid over $100 for mine NIB, but they usually go higher in great condition. :ahhh

+1 on the FLiK.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 03:41:07 AM
 :cheers:

Gerber would do well to start making the FliK Fish again. Maybe with some minor alterations to simplify the plier's engagement method.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 09:12:25 AM
What type of fishing though?

Salt water rocks, surf or boat: I currently use a mp400 fisherman and a blacktip. Both somewhat modified.
Fresh water fly or spin: anything victorinox with pliers and scissors. If going after eels then I take the mp400/blacktip.
Also carry a spike and a bait/gutting knife.

Cleaning a sak or leatherman after fishing is a major pain.
The gerber and sog are much easily to clean and dry.

My next fishing plier will probably be the williamson double leverage 9 inch, just waiting for them to go on sale.

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 05:54:15 PM
Wow! I never realized there were so many specialized fishing multitools!  :like:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 11:14:49 PM
I voted MP400 as the best of the tools you listed.  As others have already pointed out, there are even better alternatives out there.  One not already mentioned is the Buck X-tract (discontinued?)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:15:10 AM by smiller43147 »
- Steve

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 11:46:17 PM
My current favorite fishing multitool is the Tinker Deluxe:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 11:34:58 AM
What type of fishing though?

:iagree:

My current favorite fishing multitool is the Tinker Deluxe:

(Image removed from quote.)
Lamson..........  :drool: over those back in the day.

Nymphing a freestone river was the peak of my fishing life, never carried a multi tool but that little Victorinox could work  :salute:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 01:17:55 PM
Unfortunately I don't fish..
But I used to collect  :D

So if ever the urge came I could decide between the flik fisherman, mp400 fisherman, Winchester fisherman or any of the 3 Mp600 fisherman, failing that I could just settle for the mp650 with the fisherman head attached.

Wait, that's 7 dedicated tools, enough for each day of the week!! :woohoo:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 11:35:04 AM
Oddly enough, I found that the John Benzen Super Fisherman by Chicago Tools to be the near perfect fishing tool. If you scroll down this old thread, you will see it.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,73254.msg1529813.html#msg1529813

I would say if you can land this one...you got yourself the best fishing tool...just not sure how available these are in your neck of the woods.I know up here, it is a rare tool.

Listed below that are the COAST Pro Fishing tool. This tool would be a good choice as well.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:42:59 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline sjdep97

Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 02:42:34 PM
I have many multi tools but the SOG Blacktip is my favorite for fishing. The pliers on this tool are exceptionally long which really helps remove hooks from fish. Knife blade is very easy to get to and the sheath that came with the tool is nice and sturdy. The Blacktip was once very reasonable and mine came from the West Marine catalog for around $30. They have since gone way up in price and West Marine no longer carries them either. A great fishing partner if you can find one at a reasonable price! :multi:
NRA Life member

Offline LiamPullman

• New User
Reply #14 on: February 21, 2022, 10:10:01 PM
Bye Bye   :waving:

:spamkiller:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 11:44:28 PM by SteveC »

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #15 on: February 21, 2022, 11:47:46 PM
I'm mostly relegated to dock and bank fishin these days, so I keep a Victorinox fisherman and an old Sheffield fishin tool.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

Offline RED RYAN

• New User
Reply #16 on: October 02, 2022, 11:50:56 AM
i got one of that still in a blister package

can i ask how to post photos here..sorry im new here..

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: October 02, 2022, 02:10:27 PM

Welcome to the forum ,  here is a thread about posting pics and a how to   :tu:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2306.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: October 02, 2022, 02:41:08 PM
Welcome to :MTO:  RED :hatsoff:

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 02, 2022, 02:46:53 PM
Welcome to the forum, RED :cheers:

Offline RED RYAN

• New User
Reply #20 on: October 03, 2022, 08:11:40 AM

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #21 on: October 03, 2022, 12:55:39 PM
New member here.

First off, I mainly do inland trout fishing in the backcountry and mountains and carry everything by foot.
My go-to multitool for this is the LM Style PS. I just hang it in one of my belt loops so it's always at hand. The plier head is just big enough to aid with removal of stubborn hooks and the scissor is handy for trimming fine gauge fishing line.
Pair it with a Spyderco Salt series folder, and that's typically all I need for this type of fishing.

For seawater fishing I opt for a dedicated hook remover and haven't really found any need for scissors.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: October 03, 2022, 01:55:22 PM
Welcome aboard aicolainen !   :cheers:

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #23 on: October 03, 2022, 05:48:58 PM
Welcome aboard aicolainen !   :cheers:

Thank you, Steve!

downloada

Reply #24 on: October 06, 2022, 07:31:51 PM
There are a lot of different multi-tools on the market these days. It can be hard to decide which one is the best for you. If you're into bow fishing, you'll want to ensure you get a multi-tool with all the features you need. You can search for one at LINK REMOVED. The first thing you'll want to look for is a tool that has a line cutter. This is an important feature if you want to be able to quickly and easily cut your line when you need to. You'll also want to make sure the tool has a knife. This is important for cleaning your fish or cutting bait. Some other features to look for include a screwdriver, pliers, and a file. These are all great for making small adjustments to your bow or arrow. Make sure you get a comfortable grip tool so you can use it easily while you're out on the water.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 09:37:59 PM by zoidberg »

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 19, 2022, 01:39:35 PM
 Leatherman: the current ones rust too easily, especially for fishing. Unless you like paying premium prices for rusty tools. I have a vintage 90s Super Tool that I would recommend without hesitation, tho.

Gerber:  good pliers and that's it. The tools on Gerber MTs suck. Man, do they stink. Dull knives, stubby/blunt tools, and useless files. You're better off getting a cheap knockoff tool.

Victorinox Swisstools: Premium prices, but resistant to rust and all the tools will actually do their intended job.

Cheap Knockoffs: Honestly, I would use these. if it rusts, so what? If I lose it in the water, so what?  If it gets covered in fish guts, so what?

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #26 on: October 19, 2022, 03:21:59 PM
Leatherman: the current ones rust too easily, especially for fishing. Unless you like paying premium prices for rusty tools. I have a vintage 90s Super Tool that I would recommend without hesitation, tho.

Gerber:  good pliers and that's it. The tools on Gerber MTs suck. Man, do they stink. Dull knives, stubby/blunt tools, and useless files. You're better off getting a cheap knockoff tool.

Victorinox Swisstools: Premium prices, but resistant to rust and all the tools will actually do their intended job.

Cheap Knockoffs: Honestly, I would use these. if it rusts, so what? If I lose it in the water, so what?  If it gets covered in fish guts, so what?

While I appreciate my multitools, there’s a point at which they become more pain than gain.
As mentioned above, my Style PS is just about perfect for inland trout fishing, where I rarely catch anything larger than 1lbs and the environment, while moist, is very friendly with regards to corrosiveness.

On the rare occasions I go fishing in the sea, I switch to dedicated tools.
For salt water fishing I’m typically not as restricted with regards to weight and pack volume, so opting for a multitool isn’t even as lucrative in principle. With so few requirements to begin with, the added features of a MT seems to just add weight weight while reducing the suitability of the implements I actually need. But who knows, maybe it boils down to people having vastly different needs and priorities?

This really opens up for a broader discussion on what we use- or want the tools to do for us.
For myself, with regards to salt water fishing, I just need pliers suitable for removing hooks and a knife suitable for field dressing.

Inland fishing is quite different. While it requires very little as far as fishing specific properties goes, it often involves a lot of walking, some times off track and not seldom with full camping gear for multi day backpacking. This of course changes the focus towards light weight and multi use items.

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 20, 2022, 01:16:39 AM
The MT that I carry in my tackle box is a cheap Leatherman knock-off that I made some upgrades to:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,88294.0.html

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #28 on: October 20, 2022, 01:23:32 AM
By the way, has anyone heard about or bought the Ugly Stik fishing MT?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%