Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Armbar

Offline Cornchuckjoe

• New User
Gerber Armbar
on: June 23, 2019, 04:55:36 AM
Hello everyone,
I recently came across a snapshot and short description of a new tool from Gerber. It is called the Armbar and will supposedly come out February 2020. I look forward to hearing any details or updates you come across.

I’ll try to attach a picture that was taken by someone attending the recent Outdoor Retailer event.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Gerber Armbar
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 07:18:07 AM
They certainly look decent. I can't see them replacing my SAKs, but they are welcome to try.

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 07:42:14 AM
Be interesting to see how they compare to the LM Free T/K series which is what I am guessing they are designed to compete with.

Speaking of, wasn't the LM T series set to be released in June? The month is almost over and no new information on them.

-Wes.

Edit:

According to this website the Armbar will be $36. Not too hard on the wallet to try it out.

http://cycling.fabiola.uk/2019/06/21/or-gear-roundup-2-six-killer-knives-for-cyclists-bikepackers-plus-a-tactical-shovel/
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 08:06:16 AM by Wessaen »
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 07:58:00 AM
 :popcorn:

@Wessaen
Definitely Gerber's answer to the LM Free T/K, and then some(corkscrew and bit exchanger).

My thoughts:
If those aren't plagued by poor QC/Fit & Finish, as a lot of China made Gerber tools are, they will likely be superior(in many ways or overall) to the LM T/K(since the price will undoubtedly be lower). Fingers crossed that Gerber doesn't "NXT" them up. :ahhh

Thanks for posting the photo, CornChuckjoe! :salute:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Wessaen

Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 08:13:36 AM
Yeah, according to the website I just linked above they are set to be $36. Not sure if that is the MSRP so maybe they will be even cheaper.

I'm willing to pay that and not be too disappointed if the quality isn't totally up to snuff.

Also going to check out the new Gerber Key Note as I have a sickness when it comes to tiny stubby bladed knives like the Boker Stub.

-Wes.

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 08:38:11 AM
Thanks for the link, Wes!   :salute:

$36? I'm in too.  :cheers:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 09:39:20 AM
looks interesting, the scissors look a little wonky tho, like the tips wont meet, maybe it's just the pics or these are prototypes.

us Offline Wessaen

Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 04:38:06 PM
Hard to tell but I think it will be very close looking at the scissor handle length/height.

Not sure how they think they could get away without them closing all the way; otherwise the tips will snag on the inside of your pocket.

Release date is set to Feb of 2020 so we have a while to wait and they have awhile to tweak them to perfection I guess.

-Wes.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 11:27:07 AM
These do look interesting for sure  :tu:
Bit driver, blade and scissors... nice!

I wonder what that lever at the end is for?  :think:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 01:43:09 PM

Bottle opener and pry.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 02:15:41 PM
Nice, thanks RP  :tu:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 10:15:13 PM
If they cost 36 Euro over here I'll get one for sure, I just hope they don't end up costing over 50 Euro here ...

But beside that, I really like what I'm seeing and hope to get my hands on one of those when they come out.

Offline Cornchuckjoe

• New User
Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 07:25:43 PM
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Here is another article that came out today about it : https://gearjunkie.com/gerber-armbar-cork-wine-key

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 10:31:17 PM
The LM Free T2/T4 and Armbar seem to be the innovation many have been looking for! Pretty exciting for the MT world!

Looking forward to trying Gerber's answer to the mighty SAK. :popcorn:
LM has proven their T design is very very good, so Gerber has a tough light to bask in.

us Online cody6268

Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 10:48:13 PM
I'm definitely buying the one with the bit driver. Small blade, scissors, awl, and bit driver--that's basics that gets the job done.

$36 MSRP should average out to being under $30 most places.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 11:44:19 PM
Basically, they whole thing rides on the Fit/Finish and the cutting power of the scissors. If they can cut like the Vic, we have a major winner. Its not OHO, but the price definitely reflects that. I actually think the T4 and this tool can exist in the same space without competing in some ways. Anything that pushes Vic to innovate would be great. I feel that we always get a cycle... People love vic for the fit and finish/cost etc, someone innovates like Leatherman in the 80s, Vic comes out with the Spirit and Swiss tool. I am hoping Vic may feel the need to match these OHO tools with locks and keeps everyone honest.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 12:42:17 AM
Basically, they whole thing rides on the Fit/Finish and the cutting power of the scissors. If they can cut like the Vic, we have a major winner. Its not OHO, but the price definitely reflects that. I actually think the T4 and this tool can exist in the same space without competing in some ways. Anything that pushes Vic to innovate would be great. I feel that we always get a cycle... People love vic for the fit and finish/cost etc, someone innovates like Leatherman in the 80s, Vic comes out with the Spirit and Swiss tool. I am hoping Vic may feel the need to match these OHO tools with locks and keeps everyone honest.

:iagree:

And if fit and finish are on par with Victorinox, I think this one might just jump over the Leatherman T4 on my wishlist.  The bit-driver being one of the main reasons (I'm assuming it holds regular bits, just like the bit driver on the CD ?).

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 03:24:14 PM
The Armbar is not in the 2019 catalog, but there is another interesting tools in that catalog, the Prybrid family

Edit: What I wrote made no sense
gerber_01.JPG
* gerber_01.JPG (Filesize: 60.51 KB)
gerber_02.JPG
* gerber_02.JPG (Filesize: 62.49 KB)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 04:07:56 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 03:26:54 PM

And if fit and finish are on par with Victorinox, I think this one might just jump over the Leatherman T4 on my wishlist.  The bit-driver being one of the main reasons (I'm assuming it holds regular bits, just like the bit driver on the CD ?).
Looks like it, that makes it very interesting.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 02:41:29 AM
What do you think is the deal with that little metal piece on the non-pivot side? Is it a flap used for tool retention when closed? Is it a tap hammer like the MUT/Signal? Fingers crossed for that latter!!!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 08:28:53 AM
What do you think is the deal with that little metal piece on the non-pivot side? Is it a flap used for tool retention when closed? Is it a tap hammer like the MUT/Signal? Fingers crossed for that latter!!!

... see above... or below...

Bottle opener and pry.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 09:46:46 AM
The more I see this topic, the more I want an Armbar (especially the one with the bit-driver)  :drool:.

This is becoming one of the new tools I'm looking forward to the most, just hope they are as good as they look. 

C'mon Gerber, you guys can do it  :2tu:.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 11:20:31 AM

us Offline tommywp

Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 07:33:41 PM
... see above... or below...

This article describes it as a hammer, and has some clearer pictures where it looks to be such.  3.6 in = 93mm so same size as a Alox SAK. Cross-brand tool swaps would be dope!!

https://gearjunkie.com/gerber-armbar-cork-wine-key

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 09:02:32 PM
Interesting, thanks Tommy  :salute:

us Offline tommywp

Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 09:43:17 PM
Based on the limited pictures available thus far, does anyone have an opinion re the ease/difficulty of taking the tool apart? Kind of a weird pivot head but look removable.  Excited about this one!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 10:46:34 PM
Based on the limited pictures available thus far, does anyone have an opinion re the ease/difficulty of taking the tool apart? Kind of a weird pivot head but look removable.  Excited about this one!!

Looks a lot like the fastener they use on the MP600 and 400.  Normally pretty easy to take apart.  :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #27 on: July 20, 2019, 05:35:41 AM
Looks a lot like the fastener they use on the MP600 and 400.  Normally pretty easy to take apart.  :)

Thanks, that’s good news. This might be my first Gerber !

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: July 21, 2019, 06:33:42 AM
If those babies are made to the standards the Center-Drives are, Gerber has a winner there. IMO.

Scissors will probably not be Vic 91mm functional, but if they'll cut stuff 58mm Classic scissors will(paper, string, hang nails, etc), I'd be satisfied.
B......I......T.......Exchanger in a pocket tool from Gerber? Yes please, take my money, Gerber.  :D

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: September 04, 2019, 12:19:58 PM
Just wondering if someone got any updates to these sweet little fondlings?  ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%