Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sharpening the Surge main blade

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Sharpening the Surge main blade
on: June 24, 2019, 03:30:51 PM
First of all, why is the Surge main blade S-shaped? The recurved section isn't very pronounced but it is there. And this makes the blade impossible to sharpen on a traditional whetstone. 3 options:
  • regrind the belly such that the recurved section disappears and develops into a straight section.
  • don't mind the recurve and simply use Sharpmaker or similar rods for the sharpening; don't bother regrinding or modding.
  • ignore everything, don't bother sharpening, h*ll don't bother using the blade in the first place!
  • simply buy a replacement blade when needed

i enjoy the very act of sharpening and it itches me to mod blades in the household to make them more suitable for regular edge maintenance 's all. ex-factory many blades are terrible in some spots and can't be enjoyed right away for regular edge maintenance, e.g. Spyderco Delica4 Endura4 Paramilitary2. i seldom use my revered Surge and i never use its main blade, so i'll probably not bother. Going with option 3.

How about yourself and the Surge blade sharpening topic?

Dang my OCD.  :facepalm:
But one thing's certain:
If i used the Surge more often, i'd have to confront the topic eventually and then choose between option 1 and 2 and prolly choose the latter. I just wished that the Surge blade didn't have that subtle long recurved section, argh!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Sharpening the Surge main blade
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 03:45:16 PM
OPTION 2

I don't mind the subtle recurve but I HEAR you.  I smile ignore as I don't want to remove material to fix.  I use my Sharpmaker and a marker to make sure I am hitting the edge.  There is a slight adjustment, you'll need to lift the handle as you come to the recurve.  The marker helps to see whats going on.  I find the slight recurve to be no problem to sharpen BUT I'd sure love to see better grinds from LM  :salute:.     
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 08:51:59 PM
Thanks for your input @Aloha  :salute:

The one time i sharpened this blade was a while back, using a Chinese guided sharpening contraption. In theory this shouldn't have worked out because the contraption works with flat stones and, in theory, one cannot perfectly sharpen a recurve with a 100.0% flat stone, no matter how narrow the stone's width is. In practice i was lucky that it worked out to my satisfaction because the recurved section is subtle and longish AND the Chinese stones are narrow.
It was no fun, took hours, lots of efforts, and while i was doing it (and for future reference, like now :D, i had to document the process with photos before i forgot how i had done everything!), i knew that it was the first and last time sharpening the blade this way. No more. Not again. No thanks.

I am well-versed in sharpening (guided systems, Sharpmaker, freehand) and i could sharpen a dull Surge blade with 204-freehanding (or any other method), no doubt. But i wouldn't enjoy the sharpening session because of the heavy tool weight. My wrist would start hurting the following day :-[

So i'll stick with OPTION 3, i.e. not use my perfectly polished & sharp blade in the first place!  :like:

Counter thought: If the blade didn't have that recurve, would i sharpen the blade out of fun on my stones (as i like to do with my other premium EDC knives)? Honestly, no, i wouldn't. The Surge weight kills it (the sharpening task) for me. :(

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 08:55:30 PM
I have had no trouble sharpening my Surge on a Lansky Turnbox.

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 11:30:31 PM
Cheers :) why do you even bother? I mean I have a Wave that I sharpen with my Lansky system and it works just fine. Seems like the 145cm blade I upgraded it with also had that curve, so I just regrinded it to 30 degrees and now I just can’t stop loving how well it all worked out I mean I also love my tools and so on, but they are tools and want to work hard
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 03:40:20 PM
Aesthetics  :dunno:.  I appreciate even grind lines/bevels.  Theres something the OCD mind finds relaxing about them  :tu:.  On my MT I dont fret too much over it vs making sure the blade is sharp.  On other knives I totally understand the OP  :salute: and tend to attempt to even out uneven bevels/grinds.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 11:52:50 PM
First of all, why is the Surge main blade S-shaped?

I sent my Surge back, in part because of this question.

My answer to the same question is that Leatherman's manufacturing process has become sloppy and their QC doesn't see a problem or care.

I wonder how many people actual sharpen their knives anymore. I see a lot of simplified methods that make me think the art of sharpening is being lost. And, so, maybe a bad grind with a recurve in the blade isn't noticed. It may even be a bit of an advantage for the person who isn't proficient at sharpening.

If the issue hadn't annoyed me (along with some other QC issues my Surge had) and I hadn't returned the Surge, I'd use a Spyderco Sharpmaker to get that bad boy razor sharp.  :tu:

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 12:51:53 AM
And, so, maybe a bad grind with a recurve in the blade isn't noticed.
i am 99.9% sure that the recurve is intentional by design. but it is indeed so subtle that, for easier edge maintenance's sake, they shouldn't have done it imho

looks bad a$$ though

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 01:03:30 AM
I think the recurve is done freehand at the factory. 
I have yet to see any three Surge blades with the same curve. Some start more into the blade belly, some others are deeper, with more steel removed.

I have a few SOG knives that are to be recurved, and I just accepted do to price point of the knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 01:11:13 AM
Spyderco Sharpmaker has made maintaining blades easier as did Lansky Turn Box and I'm sure other similar systems.  The guided systems are excellent IMO as well.  I don't think freehand was an art in all honesty :dunno:?  Lots of butchered blades from seasoned knife users I've laid eyes on.  I think there are some that have mastered freehand but invariably you will get uneven edges.  Holding a perfect 20 degree per side just aint gonna happen or is it?  It would seen getting a blade working sharp was the goal for the old timers.  NO mirrored edges coming from grandpa. 

I would say the blade enthusiasts today are better at it.  They have harder steels and many take their edges to the  (wait for it)  EDGE  :facepalm:.

As for LM and their recurve, its not a major deal from the LMs I have.  There are some that are subtle while others have been much more noticeable.  What I think might be the case is the blade is sharp so the user doesn't care.  When the edge gets dull they'll use "simpler" methods which work.  I don't think the average user is too caught up with even grinds.  Enthusiasts are the ones who notice mm of handle play and very subtle differences.  I dont know maybe I've got it wrong but I would agree that LM could certainly do a better job over all on their grinds especially when robots are doing the grinding.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 01:11:53 AM
I know its a Skeletool but I believe I recall seeing a similar video with the Wave and robots  :think:.  Anyway FF to 3:10
https://youtu.be/dIcBUJ3jbIk
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 09:06:26 AM
thx for the video. hmmm seeing that video i am coming to the conclusion that the recurve is not intentional or CAD designed. it's actually too subtle to be intentional. there goes the 0.1% probability then.

yeah that grind isn't a beauty. shall we post some photos of our resharpened Surge (and similar revurved LM) blades?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 09:39:17 AM
I noticed the wack grind when my surge turned up but quickly got over it and chose to view it as extra metal/more blade life.
Most wear/cutting on a blade is around that belly area.

I am also somewhat ocd.
Blades are a thing for me, using, cleaning, sharpening... they calm me down.

But perfect they are not.
Most multitools (gerber, sog, leatherman, victorinox etc etc) all have terrible lines and uneven grinds.
Knife brands are also guilty of this.
I can't really fault the ones like svord, opinel, mora etc because they are cheap.
However it unfortunately extends to benchmade, spyderco, buck etc as well.

At the end of the day I use my knives and either make them work or ditch them for something better.
FWIW I've cut through car tyres with the surge, something I wouldn't be very willing to try with my PM2.

us Offline sjdep97

Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 03:08:39 PM
I have two Surges and have really beat them up with heavy use of the main blade. Cutting rope, plastic, and other nasty stuff. I am a stickler when it comes to sharpening and like my blades sharp enough to shave hair. Upkeep is pretty easy with my Spyderco Sharpmaker. Easy to use and really does the job! :multi:
NRA Life member

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 03:09:02 PM
 :salute:

On a pricier knife I would expect better grinds  :tu:.  I always touch up the edge on most any new blade that comes my way.  I really don't like to remove more metal than reasonable so I chose option 2 from above.  Since all my LMs I've gotten have been able to take a great edge regardless of ugly grinds or abuse by the former owner I have not reground unless chipped or damaged requires it. 

Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 03:25:59 PM
:salute:

On a pricier knife I would expect better grinds  :tu:.  I always touch up the edge on most any new blade that comes my way.  I really don't like to remove more metal than reasonable so I chose option 2 from above.  Since all my LMs I've gotten have been able to take a great edge regardless of ugly grinds or abuse by the former owner I have not reground unless chipped or damaged requires it. 

One of the ways these companies could steel (yes pun) from the folder market is to make tools with much better shapes and materials. The Charge TTi has a great blade but they can go much much further. I would love to see the P4 with a S30V blade FLAT GRIND! not a cheap hollow grind. We know they can, they do it on the Charge TTi.

Do you have any idea what I would pay for a MT with blades made of CPM 3V and Saber grind? $300 easy, wouldn't even hesitate.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%