Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox cut fishing hook

es Offline Aligator

Victorinox cut fishing hook
on: June 29, 2019, 08:07:36 PM
As a fishing fan cleaning my Victorinox today, I was asked if they can cut a fishing hook without damaging themselves.
Did someone do it?
I never did it and I hope I do not have to do it for having nailed one.
But if I would like to know if someone has tested it
I do not doubt that they are capable of cutting the hook. But if they are damaged.
A greeting

Offline Maties

Re: Victorinox cut fishing hook
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 09:18:34 PM
As a fishing fan cleaning my Victorinox today, I was asked if they can cut a fishing hook without damaging themselves.
Did someone do it?
I never did it and I hope I do not have to do it for having nailed one.
But if I would like to know if someone has tested it
I do not doubt that they are capable of cutting the hook. But if they are damaged.
A greeting
A few days ago i had to cut a hook. I tried the pliers of a deluxe tinker without success: I made a lot of strength and I couldn't cut the hook, it was too thick. I was afraid of damaging the pliers and myself even more. I think vic pliers could cut a thinner hook, but not sure.

Enviat des del meu Redmi Note 7 usant Tapatalk

es Offline Aligator

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 10:09:20 PM
A few days ago i had to cut a hook. I tried the pliers of a deluxe tinker without success: I made a lot of strength and I couldn't cut the hook, it was too thick. I was afraid of damaging the pliers and myself even more. I think vic pliers could cut a thinner hook, but not sure.

Enviat des del meu Redmi Note 7 usant Tapatalk
(Image removed from quote.)

Thank you very much for the reply.

Those triple hooks I think are usually much stronger than the simple ones

A greeting

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 10:53:31 PM
I've never tried to use a Victorinox to cut a fishing hook.   :dunno:

As Maites said, I'm sure it would depend on the size of the hook.

The steel in most Victorinox tools seems a bit soft for cutting large hooks, but a SwissTool or Spirit should be capable of cutting most smaller hooks (size #10-22). At least I think so......  :think:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 10:56:15 PM
Aren’t fishing hooks hardened  :think:
You might damage the cutters  >:(
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 03:29:39 AM
I think I’d stash some designated snips in my box for that occasion. I hate to say it, but there are some things left best for a tool designed for the job.

es Offline Aligator

Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 12:11:25 PM
Aren’t fishing hooks hardened  :think:
You might damage the cutters  >:(

Surely it is so.  I just want to know if he is capable of cutting a hook in case it has to be removed in case of an accident. Even if the tweezers are damaged.

es Offline Aligator

Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 12:22:36 PM
I've never tried to use a Victorinox to cut a fishing hook.   :dunno:

As Maites said, I'm sure it would depend on the size of the hook.

The steel in most Victorinox tools seems a bit soft for cutting large hooks, but a SwissTool or Spirit should be capable of cutting most smaller hooks (size #10-22). At least I think so......  :think:
I hate to say this.  I do not have a spirit.I only have leatherman and they oxidize very easily.  I do not like them but when I bought them there were only leatherman multi-tools in the local stores.  Except the Sak.

It is a repetition.  I do not buy the spirit because I have 4 leatherman and I do not use leatherman because they oxidize.
 :facepalm:

In the end I always use a Sak.  Almost always an Angler
A greeting

es Offline Aligator

Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 12:25:54 PM
I think I’d stash some designated snips in my box for that occasion. I hate to say it, but there are some things left best for a tool designed for the job.

That's true.  But we also seek to lighten weight and quantity of tools in the fishing days.

A greeting

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 12:36:20 PM
As said above, SAK pliers won't cut a hook.
A Spirit or SwissTool will but in most of my experiences it damages the cutters.

If someone had to cut a hook that was lodged in me I wouldn't want them using bypass cutters.
Anvil cutters like on the Gerber MP400 Fisherman would be kinder.

Double leverage mini bolt cutters or diagonal cutters are not expensive and are worth having.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 12:49:24 PM
Have you experimented with different oil treatments on the LMs, Aligator?

Without oil treatments, LM(and Gerber) steel spots up rather quickly in my sweaty pants pocket(except for the Sideclip I put a high polish on).
A drying rust preventing oil treatment(or several treatments) may be a good alternative. That said, do any of your LMs have the replaceable cutters? If so, those would be great for cutting hooks, since you could pop a new set in after you wear out a set.

Welcome to MT.o, Aligator!  :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 01:08:23 PM
That said, do any of your LMs have the replaceable cutters? If so, those would be great for cutting hooks, since you could pop a new set in after you wear out a set.

Disagree.
Their shape tears more than cuts and requires brute force for cutting hooks.
Like I said above bypass cutters and especially the blunter replaceable cutters would hurt like hell for the patient.
And they also take damage, been there done that.

Pick up something like these.

fi Offline temo

Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 01:32:41 PM
I could think with two plier MT you could wiggle the hook to break it. Maybe. Maybe not.

es Offline Aligator

Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 06:21:29 PM
As said above, SAK pliers won't cut a hook.
A Spirit or SwissTool will but in most of my experiences it damages the cutters.

If someone had to cut a hook that was lodged in me I wouldn't want them using bypass cutters.
Anvil cutters like on the Gerber MP400 Fisherman would be kinder.

Double leverage mini bolt cutters or diagonal cutters are not expensive and are worth having.

Normally I usually carry a pair of regular pliers and a small kitchen knife too. With the small knife I cut the bait and with the pliers I unzip and prepare fishing tackle.
The angler usually goes in my pocket and I usually use it for food and sometimes to prepare some fishing tackle.  I do not use it to de-scaled or de-wean.  They fill with scales. And then the food ...  Although I like to take it if necessary.

I just thought if I would hold the sak the cut of the hooks to be completely stainless.

Besides that in certain places of fishing in the sea we usually carry the imprecisdible because of the difficulty of walking between the stones
A greeting

es Offline Aligator

Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 06:55:50 PM
Have you experimented with different oil treatments on the LMs, Aligator?

Without oil treatments, LM(and Gerber) steel spots up rather quickly in my sweaty pants pocket(except for the Sideclip I put a high polish on).
A drying rust preventing oil treatment(or several treatments) may be a good alternative. That said, do any of your LMs have the replaceable cutters? If so, those would be great for cutting hooks, since you could pop a new set in after you wear out a set.

Welcome to MT.o, Aligator!  :)

Yes, I've tried.  But the truth is that Sak do not need them.
 :dunno:

Yes, I've tried.  But the truth is that Sak do not need them.

In addition, here are several other things. Bad experiences with the importer of LM (and its technical service).  And of course the love I have for my angler.  It is a very special knife for me.

On one occasion I gave one to my fishing partner.  We each wore our victorinox angler for years.
My partner died many years ago (being very young) of a hereditary disease.  The brother had also died of the same disease and his father.  We have the four fish together.
I love Angler so much that I even send victorinox to change the worn out sheet for a new one.  And best of all, they did it.

Since then the Sakis of Víctorinox are special for me

Since then I prefer to use any Sak Víctorinox even if I'm not an angler.  Although I must say that I also use an Aitor fisherman gift from a good friend.

I know there are people who would not.  But for me it is very special to be able to continue using that knife once in a while
A greeting
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 07:03:24 PM by Aligator »

es Offline Aligator

Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 07:05:35 PM
I could think with two plier MT you could wiggle the hook to break it. Maybe. Maybe not.

Thank you very much for the reply.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 03:07:21 AM
Those are precious memories associated with your SAKs, Aligator!  :cheers:

A lot of members are purely SAK guys, and many members(including me) started out with and still carry a SAK with their pliers MTs.  :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline Aligator

Reply #17 on: July 01, 2019, 06:10:54 AM
Those are precious memories associated with your SAKs, Aligator!  :cheers:

A lot of members are purely SAK guys, and many members(including me) started out with and still carry a SAK with their pliers MTs.  :cheers:

Thank you very much!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 07:48:20 AM
 :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%