Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Quandry time!!!

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Quandry time!!!
on: December 18, 2008, 01:31:25 PM
Ok, so here's the deal.  Saks are like life.  They are about compromises.  We never get EXACTLY what we want, so we have to make do alot of the times.  Here's my dilemna.  I have been EDCing my Cadet for a while, and I love it.  Tough, well built little knife.  However, I used my Vic Super Tinker last night around the house for something, and it felt SOOOO good in my hand.  The thicker body filled my hand, allowing for a very comfortable grip.  So, here's where I have to choose.  Do I go for comfort in the hand (Super Tinker), or comfort in the pocket (Cadet)?  On the one hand, if it is not comfortable enough to carry, it will probably be left at home.  However, if it is not comfortasble enough to use, then it won't. 
Which do you guys prefer?  Pocket comfort or hand comfort?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Quandry time!!!
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 03:47:06 PM
I know where you are coming from.  I always have a 84mm knife in my pocket (a Cadet at the moment) and normally have a 91mm cellidor in a bag or in a coat pocket.  Sometimes I carry my Swiss Champ in a belt pouch.  Why don't you look at a half way measure and get a 84mm Cellidor?  A Sportsman or a Tinker Small perhaps?  I find them still comfortable enough for pocket carry and will fill your hand better than the Cadet.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 04:19:25 PM
Comfort in the pocket.  If I'm doing something heavy duty I will use one of my tactical folders, but for light to medium tasks an alox SAK like the cadet (i'm carrying a emerald green one right now) work fine for me.  I just wish they had scissors and a corkscrew.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 05:10:35 PM
I know a guy know carries one of the wider Victorinox SAKs like a wallet.
(

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 06:29:42 PM
Well it's in your pocket longer than it's in your hand so I'd go for pocket comfort :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 07:51:56 PM
I go for comfort (and more tools!) in the hand.

R

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 09:00:40 PM
Depends.  For work (ie not on the farm), I like the Vic Spirit in a sheath.  I am more likely to need scissors, pliers or screwdrivers at work, and not have ready access to dedicated tools.  Some carry it in a pocket, but it's sorta heavy in my pocket, thus the sheath.

For around the farm, not having things hanging off me is important.  Belt sheaths get hung up on gates, tractor bits, brush and whatnot.  Then, pocketability is more important to me.  I use my Skeletool then.  Scissors are generally less necessary but pliers are essential.  Although a saw or file would be handy...

I'm surprised no one has come up with a file and saw that fit into the bit holder.   :think:

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 09:02:31 PM
That would me cool, MW.. I would carry the Cadet. I love carrying my Cadets!
B

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 10:01:12 PM
Sometimes I wonder about us. 

My father in law has carried the SAME Case knife for years.  Every morning he gets up puts it in his pocket and is ready for the day. 
Anything from whittling to opening cans.

I do envy him it would be a lot easier to just have ONE EDC and be happy with it.

I think having SAK fever stops us from that.

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 10:13:15 PM
I couldn't imagine just having and using one knife whats the fun in that?
(

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 11:58:35 PM
I think the best compromise is to go for the hand comfort and carry it in a sheath. I am never comfortable with pocket carry. I very rarely pocket carry a SAK no matter how thin, but I can sheath carry any multitool no matter how heavy on my belt. Downside is I always have to wear a belt to carry my multitool even if I'm wearing stretchable shorts.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 12:50:10 AM
Sometimes I wonder about us. 

My father in law has carried the SAME Case knife for years.  Every morning he gets up puts it in his pocket and is ready for the day. 
Anything from whittling to opening cans.

I do envy him it would be a lot easier to just have ONE EDC and be happy with it.

I think having SAK fever stops us from that.

Despite having a dresser drawer with numerous MTs and SAKs, I always put my trusty PST in my pocket every day for 12 years before switching to the Skeletool.  OTOH, since joining this site, I've been carrying my Vic Spirit much more.  Despite my fears about trashing the most beautiful MT I own, I've been really pleased with it's functionality. 

I recently replaced the pull string on one of the chainsaws using just the Vic Spirit.  :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 01:45:06 AM
I think the best compromise is to go for the hand comfort and carry it in a sheath. I am never comfortable with pocket carry. I very rarely pocket carry a SAK no matter how thin, but I can sheath carry any multitool no matter how heavy on my belt. Downside is I always have to wear a belt to carry my multitool even if I'm wearing stretchable shorts.

Have you thought about wearing one of those whistle lanyards around your neck and carring a lightweight multitool on it?
(

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 02:43:29 AM

Have you thought about wearing one of those whistle lanyards around your neck and carring a lightweight multitool on it?
I EDC the SURGE, so neck carry will be a problem  :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 03:49:39 AM
If you have a Squirt it will work or if you want to be a gangsta you could try one of those argentums.... :D
(

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 03:55:13 AM
I would rather go for comfort in the hand :tu: I really don't mind what I have in my pockets :D seems like I have never really been bothered by this :think: :)

I believe I would EDC the Super Tinker ;) just give it a chance for a few days and see for yourself where your preference is :)

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 04:46:20 AM
Well it's in your pocket longer than it's in your hand so I'd go for pocket comfort :)

That's what I was thinking.  I can get used to holding it and using it, but I can never friggin get used to something in my pocket, but I've already had sheaths tear off my belt, so I am afraid of losing whatever is in one.

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 04:55:54 AM
What if you put it on a key bak  http://www.happcontrols.com/security/30195100.htm
(

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 09:47:12 AM
If you have a Squirt it will work or if you want to be a gangsta you could try one of those argentums.... :D
Yup those argentums are worth their weight in gold :D

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 12:47:39 PM
I'd go for comfort in the hand :tu:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 11:29:12 PM

That's what I was thinking.  I can get used to holding it and using it, but I can never friggin get used to something in my pocket, but I've already had sheaths tear off my belt, so I am afraid of losing whatever is in one.

How about a belt hanger? http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=16&lang=D It doesn't protrude from your waist, so I guess it will have less risk of being torn off, and the knife will still hang down into your pocket for safety. Keeping the knife vertically makes a huge difference in how comfortable it is in the pocket. I've carried a Huntsman Lite with Vic's belt hanger, and it still was comfortable. I normally find three layers a little too much for pocket carry. For me personally, an advantage a belt hanger holds over a sheath is that I have a tendency to forget the sheath when I remove the belt from the trousers, thus dropping the sheath to the floor. When I do the same thing with a belt hanger, nothing happens. The belt hanger just hangs from the knife in my pocket. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%