Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKs in the will

Roc · 10 · 650

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
SAKs in the will
on: July 01, 2019, 01:38:24 AM
Hope this doesn’t come off as too dark a subject for anyone. Looking over my SAKs today and I thought about what my family will do with them when the time comes. I have a son, but who knows if he will be into SAKs. He’s 8.

I have a couple friends that carry knives, but don’t know quality. They carry the folders found in the bargain bins at Menards(Midwest hardware store), use them till they are dull then just buy another.

My question is has anyone else thought of what will happen to their tools when they are gone, or am I just morbid and thinking about a pointless topic?

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: SAKs in the will
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 04:48:08 AM
I know we had a thread about this not too long ago, but I am not quite sure how it was titled. Did you try to search?  :think:

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 11:24:08 PM
I know we had a thread about this not too long ago, but I am not quite sure how it was titled. Did you try to search?  :think:
I will. I guess I’m looking for ideas as I don’t want my meager collection just tossed aside. I want them to be in the hands of someone that appreciates them as much as I do.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 11:53:31 PM
I've already started handing down some of mine to nieces, nephews, kids, siblings, friends, etc. etc.  It's fun to see them appreciated and in use while I'm here to enjoy it.   

The rest I'll have to have a frank discussion about when the time comes I guess and if no one is interested in keeping it going, then I'll sell it.  But that's decades away.

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 01:46:20 AM
In the short term I have a sibling who is in to them. In the long term there is fair chance one of my children will love them.

In the mean time I'm thinking of "sanitising" my collection by giving them occasionally as gifts. One per person over time. Thinking of selling a few to people who value them on here as well but I'm all weirded out by postage and "weapons" regulations in Australia. *shrugs*

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 05:50:01 AM
As the proud father of five (currently aged from 16 years down to 4 months), I'm hoping at least one will grow up to appreciate knives and MTs like I do.  I'm also hoping it will be a good four or five decades before anyone inherits my collection...

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 07:53:01 AM
In the short term I have a sibling who is in to them. In the long term there is fair chance one of my children will love them.

In the mean time I'm thinking of "sanitising" my collection by giving them occasionally as gifts. One per person over time. Thinking of selling a few to people who value them on here as well but I'm all weirded out by postage and "weapons" regulations in Australia. *shrugs*

I can't help with the excessively high fees Auspost charges on smal packages going outside Australia   :( , but all the MTs I've posted internationally have been described as "camping tools" and I've had zero problems with customs etc.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 04:14:48 PM
I have considered this issue, as I have a rather extensive knife collection, as well as collections from other hobbies. I've been considering a carefully worded letter to my family, outlining the more valuable items, and how to care for them long term, as they will undoubtedly increase in value as time goes on. Maybe also including advice on how to sell or donate them, and perhaps some contacts as well.
--
'Buzz

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 04:46:37 PM
I have considered this issue, as I have a rather extensive knife collection, as well as collections from other hobbies. I've been considering a carefully worded letter to my family, outlining the more valuable items, and how to care for them long term, as they will undoubtedly increase in value as time goes on. Maybe also including advice on how to sell or donate them, and perhaps some contacts as well.

I too do have a healthy ongoing collection of knives and MTs, and did think about that once in a while.  I think it is like passing down any valuable 'assets', ideally I would like to hand them down before I'm gone, in case of any disputes.  And the will is just the safety net there to catch the fall.

es Offline Aligator

Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 10:50:25 PM
In a forum in my country, I read about this.  And I really liked an idea.  When you see that the end is approaching, give life to people who value it.

Anyway, my 9 year old son seems to like it. Time will tell.  The three is a bit small to know what they are.
A greeting

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD