Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

And once again some store is using my pics to promote their stuff ...

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Some of you might remember this story, a couple of years ago I was browsing an internet store looking to buy some Victorinox goodies, only to find them using my own pics to promote the new (back then at least) Victorinox Delémont Rangergrip series.  After contacting them they apologized for using my pics without permission and gifted me a free multitool (no, not a Free, it was a BO Rebar, which was a great gesture of them, since the apology was already enough for me).

Anyway ...

I was just searching for images of a Victorinox Rangergrip 71, when I found some very familiar looking pics being used by a webstore ... (no, not the same shop as the first time).  I've been browsing this site and I have come across some other pics that look familiar, like a pic of a Wave with the PE blade stuck in the snow, some pics from an Evogrip S54 on a beach, and some pics of the Victorinox Rangergrip Boatsman which I've seen before as well (and my guess is I've seen them here, so maybe some other MTO members might recognize their own pics on this site).

What do you guys think I (or maybe we, if other MTO members recognize their pics being used) should do about this ?

Sadly the site is in a language I don't understand (I've also found their facebook page).

Now I don't know the rules about posting a link to a commercial website here on MTO, I mean, it's not like I'm trying to promote this site. I would like to see if somebody else recognizes some of his/her own pics being used, and maybe find a fellow MTO member who could act as interpreter. 

Maybe Grant or one of the Mods could tell me if I could post the link to the site here (or if I should send them a link to the site in a PM) ?

Greetings from Belgium,

Eric "TG-24"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
This sort of stuff happened to me all the time. I am certain there are still quite a few of my photos being used somewhere for commercial purposes. Not much that can be done unless you lawyer up, and that gets expensive.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

be Offline Top-Gear-24

This sort of stuff happened to me all the time. I am certain there are still quite a few of my photos being used somewhere for commercial purposes. Not much that can be done unless you lawyer up, and that gets expensive.

No budget to lawyer up here  ;).

I know you're right, but if I "catch" them using my pics, I would like to confront them with it, that's all.  I remember somebody who had his pics used straight from photobucket, I mean, not even taking the time to download them to use them on their site, but using the link from the "pic owner" his photoshop.  Which meant the owner of the pics could replace the pic with another one, and it would still be shown on the site since they used the direct link.  I remember somebody replacing a pic with a text saying the person selling this item was a pic thief or something.

I should probably do some searching to know the correct story again, but you get what I mean right  ;).

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
That is awful and at the same time it is a bit of a compliment  :facepalm:

I would like to see a link and also see if we can get another member here to interpret the site :salute:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Here's a link to the home page of the site:

http://zubrknives.by/

And here's a link to the Vic Rangergrip 71 where they use my pics (I think you will recognize my most used pic location):

http://zubrknives.by/knife/mnogofunktsionalnyye/nozh-victorinox-rangergrip-71-09713c.html

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Yes...that was me lol. She had the photo up for a few weeks afterwards on her web site. I thought replacing the photo a suitable bit of punishment.  :rofl:

Well, if they are THAT lazy...do the same.  :pok:  :pok:

Could be fun to see how long it takes them to see the change.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Looks to be a Belarus site, from Minsk. Don't know how the copyright legislation is there, but if you find a few others who's pics are being used, maybe you could find out. I believe copyright infringement across Europe for commercial use should still apply here. And I've heard the fines are pretty substantial.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
You take some phenomenal pictures but seriously  :twak:.  What the heck!  I do hope they stop and compensate you. 
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Thanks for the support guys  :salute:.

I'm going to send them an e-mail on Thursday, I've got a 14h shift at work tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I won't be in the mood for it when I get home  ::).

I'll keep you guys posted, and in the mean while, if somebody recognizes his or another MTO member's pics, post it here or send me a pm.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I paid for Photobucket for many years thanks to the Russians.  When I was at SHOT I would upload my pics to Photobucket and they would be hotlinked all over various Russian forums until PB crashed and I had to start paying them or else MTO members couldn't see my pics!   :ahhh

That's one of the reasons we started the MTO Gallery and started watermarking everything.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline LoopCutter

I was on BikeForum and the same would happen. Pictures of bikes would be found on eBay, Craigslist and other sites with intent to lure buyers of sought after bikes for long distance sales.
Watermarking pictures reading is the best safeguard.
I believe all my Photobucket links are now broken since I have not subscribed   .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline this_is_nascar

Seek legal actions.  You should be able to find someone that only gets paid if he/she gets you a cash settlement.

Damn near every law firm in the country offers a free consultation.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%