Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Month of the SwissChamp

us Offline Buzzbait

A Month of the SwissChamp
on: July 02, 2019, 06:30:44 PM

I’m not really quite sure how to say this, so pardon me if I ramble a bit. I feel I just need to opine a bit about my last month of carrying the SwissChamp.

Let me start off by saying that I’m a traditional knife collector, and have been one for a long, long time. I tend to judge old knives on a very specific set of criteria, based on my experiences of what works, and what I find to be artistic and beautiful. I always have a few favorites around, that get rotated in and out of my pockets. Some knives stay in my pocket longer than others. The ones that tend to stay are aesthetically pleasing, and present themselves as interesting curiosities.

But here’s where it all gets weird and confusing. I started off carrying the SwissChamp, just to get used to the size of the knife for a summer vacation project with my daughter. The SwissChamp was meant to be just a bit of gimmicky fun.  Nothing serious. I was going to use it for a week or so, to make sure that it was feasible to dedicate to various outdoor tasks and more common knife duties, and figure out how to comfortably carry such a heavy and bulky little item.

Over the next few weeks, there was a definite evolution in my view toward the SwissChamp. I used it and compared it to my more “serious knives”. It compared favorably in terms of cutting efficiency, due to the wonderfully thin grinds on both spear blades. But it was obviously not as comfortable as many of my other knives. There were a few other nitpicks as well, concerning the lack of a more straight edged secondary blade, and the softness of the steel. But it did okay. It always made the cut, it sharpened up quite easily, and it proved to be wonderfully stainless. It wasn’t a great knife, but it was very useful knife. Certainly good enough for some summer fun.

Then the transformation occurred. I gradually began to use the other SwissChamp tools. This was just for fun at first, but I quickly became impressed by how many projects I was able to accomplish, without the need to search out more serious tools. I didn’t even realize how often I needed some of the tools, and how I usually must have ignored the small duties of life, because I didn’t have an immediate fix.

Suddenly, as my family came to me with tasks to be accomplished, I was able to solve problems on the spot, instead of just giving them the old, “Okay. I’ll look into it later.”, and summarily forgetting the matters entirely. It was as if my opportunities to accomplish more in life had been revealed to me, a veil of ignorance and laziness had been lifted.

What’s interesting about all of this is the fact that I’m not a “handy” guy. I don’t instinctively know how to fix a car engine or how to install a new bathtub. I couldn’t build a set of steps for my back porch if my life depended on it. I’m not the man you want when you need your kitchen floor replaced, or some 2X4’s cut down to size on a table saw. I’ve tried to be handy in the past. I’ve purchased numerous Leatherman tools in the past, in hopes of increasing my handiness quotient, but to no avail. I’m just not that guy.

But I am smart in my own way. I have a highly analytical mind. I crave detail. I love to research. I’m a hobbyist, and love to assemble and tinker with small things. I enjoy reasoning my way through concepts, and seeing them through to fruition. I enjoy taking things apart to see how they work, and improving upon them. Examination is my stock in trade.

Well I have to say, The SwissChamp is wonderful for a man like me!!! Where modern multitools have failed to be of value to me, the SwissChamp has thrived. Brute force not being a requirement for the tasks I choose to take on, Victorinox’s finesse-oriented tools are like magic in my hands. The knife blades make the cut. The fish scaler is absurdly handy as a small ruler and pickle plucker. The magnifier allows my failing eyes to see minute details. The corkscrew screwdriver means that eyeglass bows are always tight. I won’t even go into how versatile the Victorinox scissors are. And while the pliers may not be heavy duty, they are perfect for holding small electronics while soldering, and wrestling fishing hooks from bluegill. Even the file positively excels at keeping my nails well-manicured at all times. The inline Phillips screwdriver manages to keep the drawer knobs from spinning, and hangs simple fixtures with aplomb.

I really don’t view the SwissChamp as a multitool at all. Multitools are called to duty, whenever something needs to be repaired and whatever tasks handy men distract themselves with. But the SwissChamp is simply an invaluable aid to life. A cap lifter and can opener is always at my disposal. The little screws on my bicycle shifters are always adjusted in tune. Small dowels have met their match with the wood saw. The SwissChamp allows to me to manipulate the physical world in such a way as to assure a reasonable amount of order, and increase my understanding of how the natural world works. The SwissChamp satisfies my curiosities, and helps me to wade my way from day to day, and remain a gentleman while doing so.

The SwissChamp isn’t a multitool to me, or a knife. The SwissChamp is more like a personal research assistant, an extra hand when I need one. It’s a friendly companion throughout my day, always willing to provide input and insight into whatever fate befalls me. At this point in time, I can’t imagine life without the SwissChamp, or how I survived the quagmire of life’s uncertainties previously. It’s become a part of my lifestyle, as no other multitool or knife ever has before. It’s a reassuring friend in my pocket, and a technical instrument in my hand.

I stand before you, a man convinced. The SwissChamp is incredibly worthy. My only goal now is to use my summer vacation wisely. Demonstrate my SwissChamp to my daughter, encourage her to use her own SwissChamp, and hope that she comes to value it’s companionship as I have of late.

--
'Buzz

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: A Month of the SwissChamp
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 06:38:10 PM
You nailed it my friend!  SAKs in general tend to bring out the fix it in all of us, but the Swisschamp had a very special way of doing it.  You should post your write-up on Vic's Swisschamp review page, because it's one of the best I've ever read on this wonderful companion!
Barry

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 07:20:34 PM
You nailed it my friend!  SAKs in general tend to bring out the fix it in all of us, but the Swisschamp had a very special way of doing it.  You should post your write-up on Vic's Swisschamp review page, because it's one of the best I've ever read on this wonderful companion!

In excellent idea!!!  I've submitted to both Swissarmy.com and Amazon.com
--
'Buzz

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 07:44:23 PM
My son is the one that sold me on my Swisschamp.  Mine is probably about the same vintage as yours Buzz.  I've done a couple of challenges with it.  If you read the reviews, it's the stuff of legends!
Barry

us Offline HolyDeuce

Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 10:14:18 PM
Very nice Buzz, I enjoyed the read.  I love my SwissChamp but after reading your review, I think I love it even more!!   :hatsoff:
Once you go SAK, you'll never go back.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 11:54:40 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

I’m not really quite sure how to say this, so pardon me if I ramble a bit. I feel I just need to opine a bit about my last month of carrying the SwissChamp.

I stand before you, a man convinced. The SwissChamp is incredibly worthy. My only goal now is to use my summer vacation wisely. Demonstrate my SwissChamp to my daughter, encourage her to use her own SwissChamp, and hope that she comes to value it’s companionship as I have of late.

Very well said Buzzbait! :like: :tu: :tu:

I enjoyed your journey as you used the various tools! :cheers:

Your daughter is in for a treat during your vacation.

I was a Vic Dealer when the SwissChamp came out and I have EDC'd one ever since. I can totally relate to how you feel about the SwissChamp. It enables you to be prepared for the various tasks that you run across on any given day.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 01:00:29 AM
There's just something about the Swisschamp that I can't explain.  It has personality!
Barry

us Offline evh

Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 02:08:14 AM
You are spot on.  I have carried many knives and once I started carrying the SC, I couldn't believe how many times I used it each day.  I should keep a tally of how many times I pull it out vs the maximum number of different tools I use each day. 

What you can't appreciate until you carry one is the vast number of tools you will end up using. It is not as heavy duty as many of the Leatherman's, but I actually think that is part of it's charm and versatility.  It has just the right tool selection and finesse/usability.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 02:53:08 AM
While I cannot abide by the SwissChamp and Deluxe Tinker  Plyers, I do own a Deluxe Tinker and it is in my pocket right now. I also own a great, vintage beater Champion. No plyers there, but just about everything else. I keep it in my backpack because it is

So
Damn
Useful
!

Nice writeup

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 04:13:28 AM
I just picked up a Deluxe Tinker from my son's inventory reduction rack.  I'm impressed by it! 
Barry

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 04:22:15 AM
You had me at drawer knobs.  :cry: Seriously though, great review. Don’t think anyone could word it better. I’m gonna have to try one out now.

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 05:55:33 AM
Thanks for sharing your history!
I can't feel properly dressed without a SAK in the pocket.
The Swisschamp have a fine tool selection, a real gentleman pocket toolbox.

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 06:25:19 AM
That was worth reading!  :tu:  :hatsoff:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 10:53:43 AM
Excellent review, much in tune with my own experience of this wonderful knife. Great pictures, too.  :hatsoff:
Rambler

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 03:27:22 PM
Loved your review, Buzzbait.   I had a Champ that I bought in a Vx Survival Kit in 1989 and found it to be similarly handy.  25 years later I gave it to a kid in my Webelo den because he had lost his own. 

I often think I should replace it, and I think now your post will push me over the edge. 

Thanks again for the great write up; I really enjoyed reading it.   

Myron

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 04:02:47 PM
I enjoyed your musing of the SwissChamp.  As I read through your post, I was nodding my head up and down in agreement.  :2tu:
Plus you used a word I didn't expect to see...quagmire, giggity. :clap:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 12:16:00 AM
Great write-up, BB!   :tu:

I feel everyone should take a Swisschamp challenge at some point.  For some, the SC will turn out to be the perfect SAK.  For others (including me), it will be more than we want to carry around on a daily basis, but we will still gain valuable insight into which tools we really use (and which we don't), and the SC will still be a great glove box, desk, or kitchen drawer tool.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 12:19:58 AM
Great post Buzz !   :like: :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 08:17:47 AM
Buzzbait, thank you for your story, and what an awesome read that was!  Hope the fun continue with your daughter!  :tu:

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 03:36:10 PM
Thank you so much, everybody. I would have replied sooner, but I was doing a SwissChamp survival test run the last few days, camping in the mountains with a bunch of family. Tons of fun was had, and everybody loved the SwissChamp. The entire extended family got into it, finding ways to use the SwissTank for every conceivable task.

--
'Buzz

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #20 on: July 08, 2019, 03:41:55 PM
 :like: :tu:. It is a loveable beast isn't it? :D
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!