Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Going to mod the small blade on the explorer...which should I go with?

Offline Myoman

I am thinking of replacing the small blade with the electricians blade or the alox awl blade. If use the awl, I would replace the bottom reamer with the small screwdriver.

What are you thoughts between these two implements; pros, cons, etc?

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Almost exactly what I’m looking at doing.

On my Explorer, swap the small blade for inline awl.

Add metal saw/file layer from my Mountaineer.

Swap backside awl for a smaller flat head driver.

Not sure I’ll do it myself though. Might send to a guy that does well at that kind of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Myoman

Yeah I have someone on here that does great work with mods.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Pruner blade, and only because I love the one on my Master Gardener. It will cut stuff far more effectively than the large blade despite being so much smaller. But for practicality (and ease of resharpening) go with the electrician's blade.

Stinks neither of those blades are common on the 91mm frame.

Offline Myoman

I have a pruner blade on my other mod, but a local knife sharpener has said those are really hard to resharpen. Btw this will be more for urban carry.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
I have a pruner blade on my other mod, but a local knife sharpener has said those are really hard to resharpen. Btw this will be more for urban carry.

Yep, pain in the rear. I have quite a few (around here, the coal mines used them quite heavily, and I find Klein versions all the time for next to nothing, and it's a nightmare to sharpen if the blade is really dull. A tapered diamond rod does help; and a ceramic rod is great for touching it up. But if it's too far gone, you're in for a world of trouble.

Offline Myoman

Great so so far it's 1 for the awl and 1 for the electrician's blade lol.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I vote for the awl.   :tu:   :tu:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
The inline awl is is one of the best and most defining tools in the Victorinox arsenal, so I say go with that. :tu:

Do you have experience with the back side flat screwdriver? I've never used it. I see - and have had - so many twisted ones on used knives in otherwise great condition that I'm not convinced it can take much torque. :think:  I'd rather have the chisel, if it'll fit instead.
Rambler

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Poncho put an inline awl in his modded Ranger if I recall correctly.  I can't think of anything better to put in!
Barry

Offline Myoman

Do you have experience with the back side flat screwdriver? I've never used it. I see - and have had - so many twisted ones on used knives in otherwise great condition that I'm not convinced it can take much torque. :think:  I'd rather have the chisel, if it'll fit instead.

I saw something on here once saying that the back fine screwdriver fits the small philips screws that the  more blunt inline philips cannot. I don't know if that's true.

How useful is that chisel anyway? People rag on the corkscrew, fish scaler, and hook, but for an urban edc I don't know what use the chisel could possibly be. Maybe carving graffiti in suburban forest preserves?

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
I saw something on here once saying that the back fine screwdriver fits the small philips screws that the  more blunt inline philips cannot. I don't know if that's true.

I've been looking for a screw to test this on; can't find one unfortunately. I can't imagine it being better than the inline Phillips, which is an excellent tool. The #0 #1 Phillips on the Rambler's combo tool is just as good. It fits #2 Phillips as well - not that I'd recommend it it for serious tightening and loosening on that size screw.

How useful is that chisel anyway? People rag on the corkscrew, fish scaler, and hook, but for an urban edc I don't know what use the chisel could possibly be. Maybe carving graffiti in suburban forest preserves?

Lol about carving graffiti! :D 

The chisel definitely has limited use in my experience. I've used it to enlarge a lock mortice when I had no other chisel small enough for the job. That's about it. I guess you could use it as a small wedge. I'd prefer it over the fine SD because as a tool it's so much more robust. A tool that's damaged easily with the usage it's designed for and has no other function I can think of is practically worthless, in my opinion.
Rambler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD