Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss Flame

us Offline bren10man

Swiss Flame
on: December 19, 2008, 06:48:20 PM
I am going tomorrow to buy it from the vender I saw who had it in Seoul, ROK.... :climber:

Hopefully, I will figure out how it works, fill it, and then post pics of it Saturday nite...stay tuned!! :drool:

P.S.: no, it will NOT be for sale after I buy it!!!!  :oops: So, do not even ask... :twak:
MOLON LABE!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Swiss Flame
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 06:51:03 PM
IF, it's still there!  :D ;)
B

us Offline bren10man

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 07:06:10 PM
Me thinks it is still there.  You see, there are these "flea market" vender types all over Seoul.  This dude I first visited last year.  I first noticed the 1884-1984 Vic Champion-Classic set when I first went there a year ago, and he still had it...He mostly pushes luggage.  You wouldn't know if he sold them but by digging around.  This is not a retail store, think flea market here...  The trick will be to see if he knows the price of it, and then see if I can get a good deal or not.

I did get ripped last summer before I went home.  I bought a Wenger Deluxe cigar cutter knife (has scissors and cigar cutter) at a tobacco/smoke shop in one of the fancy hotels here near the COEX Mall.  Nothing but Cuban cigars ( I spent some money on that alone!!) sold there.  This one has stainless handles with a black lizard skin insert.  Not sold in the USA.  I gave it to a friend of mine back home who is a cigar afficianado type....Only thing I do not like about it is it has no key ring to attach a lanyard.
MOLON LABE!

Flash

Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 07:09:15 PM
Dude,

Seriously, if he has 2 get one for me and I will cover all of your costs.

Cheers,

Flash

us Offline bren10man

Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 07:11:51 PM
Dude,

Seriously, if he has 2 get one for me and I will cover all of your costs.

Cheers,

Flash

He only had one...and it was used, no box, no instructions, and if memory serves me right, key ring was missing (easy fix).
BTW, this one is the Swiss Flame, has scissors.  The Camp Flame has saw in lieu of scissors. 

I will make a good list and post what I find.....
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 07:19:23 PM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 07:20:41 PM
If you want a Swissflame for a collection, then go get it but I can't recommend buying one to use. 

They are notoriously unreliable.  That's one of the reasons Victorinox discontinued them so soon.  Its a shame really as the concept wasn't bad.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 10:02:09 PM
Well fingers crossed for you mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 10:33:41 PM
Good luck.  :tu:
I'm back!!

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 11:57:18 PM
Good luck! Picture of the flea market you have been raiding is much appreciated  :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline bren10man

Swiss Flame is now in my posession...with 2 others types as well!!
Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 07:47:20 AM
Well, went back to the underground mall where the dude sells luggage and other stuff (Zippo's, SAK's, multitools, etc) and raided the store.

Swiss Flame: paid 72,000 won (need a key ring for it).  No box or papers, though. I bought some butane, will try to figure the thing out. 

Deluxe Angler: paid 50,000 won (this is the one that has the pliers and the scissors with the corkscrew, rare I have been told)

1897-1997 100 year Victorinox SAK Spartan in the tin: 68,000 won (even has the sleeve on it, the tin is long, silver colored, the tin needs cleaning), has all paperwork

Total paid for all three: 180,000 won, about $130.00

Not bad I would say.

I looked, he had no other Swiss Flames.  He had numerous Swiss Champs (red and blue), Swiss Champ w/analog clock (Supertimer I think), OD Green Hunter, Trekker/Trailmaster (not OH type), Outrider lockblade, numerous Campers, Huntsmans, saw a Cyber Tool 34 (but after I bought the other stuff, it was in a window), etc.

I was looking for the most unusual, and think I plundered him between trip 2 weeks ago and today....I found a line on another store that sells SAK's and see what he has as well. 

Will post pics later.
MOLON LABE!

Flash

Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 10:52:35 AM
Dude,

Please grab that OD green Hunter if you go back...I will cover all expenses.

Thanks in advance,

Flash

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 10:55:45 AM
Sounds like you had a great trip mate :tu:

Can't wait for the pictures :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline bren10man

Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 01:41:07 PM
Key ring problem solved, went back to the store and he took one off a Econoline Camper (blue handles, marked Minolta and other words, he had lots of those). I took a GOOD look at the Deluxe Angler/Fisherman.  Has corkscrew with no groove.  Scissors has flat head screwdriver screw holding it.  Pliers has no crimper.  Has the hook, and the bottle opener opens halfe way.  Reamer has sewing eye.  Key Ring on the blade side, not the corkscrew side.  Any idea how old it is?  How rare is this thing?

Flash: no problem on the Green Hunter....will go back and try to get it for you.  I found another one as well at another store.

Went to more shops, all camping types and odds and ends.  It appears Seoul is loaded down with Victorinox SAK's.  I did see a Wenger Swiss Grip (the one that has the pliers sticking out). 

Pioneers (Solider with Victorinox cross emblem and key ring) all over the place.  Lots of Swiss Champs, more Huntsmans, some Trekker/Trailmasters as well (not OH though).  I DID find a Victorinox German Army knife with the new hole in the blade.  I want that one.

I also found at the same store the German Army OHT was a Solo with the red Safari series handles.  I heard that one is wanted by more than a few folks.  Shocked to see that.  Pocket Pals of various colors were also in abundance.

Some places are higher, some are lower.

Give me a few, will post picks of the Swiss Flame all wants to see.  It appears this one has never been used (flame wise) or it burns clean.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:43:33 PM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 02:23:44 PM
If you wouldn't mind snagging that Super Timer as well, I'd be happy to cover your expenses too!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline bren10man

Bad news....
Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 02:47:34 PM
Damn Swiss Flame doesn't work....I am using Ronson Multi-Fill Ultra Butane Fuel for lighters.

Filled it twice, nothing.  I read the instructions for butane lighter filling I found on the net...

Any guesses?
MOLON LABE!

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 04:56:56 PM
I wouldn't use ronson fuel, I heard it ruins butane lighters.
(

us Offline bren10man

Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 05:24:54 PM
Roger about the Ronson fuel...all the PX had.

Any other recommendations?

I am downloading pics to Photobucket as I type this....pics to follow shortly.
MOLON LABE!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 05:39:43 PM
That's pretty typical for them, which is why they were discontinued.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline bren10man

PICTURES!!!
Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 05:49:57 PM
Here you go!!!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v105/bren10man/SAK/

It is a shame I left more in the states....what you see here is what I have bought in Korea the past 18 months (sans the Super Tinker- bought that in 2006 at Smokey Mountain Knife Works...the OHT I ordered from SMKW....).  I think I am over 20 in count now...Jeez!!!

And, that pic does not even show the other knifes I have, both at home (bayonets for all my military rifles, i.e. M1903, M1, M14, AR-15, etc.; 1944 M3 Trench knife, Gerber BMF NIB, Gerber Mk-II used in OIF-1, etc) and here (Benchmade mini-Stryker switchblade, Cold Steel SRK, Camillus MC-1 paratrooper/pilot switchblade, etc).  I have one at home I have never seen.  I bought a bayonet for my 1981-made German HK-91 rifle...bought it off Gunbroker.com and it came with the adapter and scabbard.  I beat the looming obamination that is rapidly developing.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 06:03:37 PM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

us Offline bren10man

Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 06:05:06 PM
That's pretty typical for them, which is why they were discontinued.

Def

Figures, maybe why the previous owner ditched it.

MOLON LABE!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD