Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can I be Honest for a Second?...

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Can I be Honest for a Second?...
on: July 04, 2019, 11:35:10 PM
I just picked up a brand new Gerber MP1 from Ebay that I got for way too little (60). Based on feedback I've seen on YouTube and other sources I've heard it wasn't that great. Is there a reason to keep it as is or Cannibalize it for parts to modify other tools? Thoughts?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Can I be Honest for a Second?...
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 11:40:29 PM
It's the MRO model (maintenance, repair, and operations) model. It doesn't show up that often used, as I don't think too many were sold.

For what I do, it's not too weapon-centric like most special purpose Gerbers; but it is different. I like the webbing cutter serrated blade (cutting hook at end) and hook). But if you do decide to use it for mod fodder, there's some tools that would be cool to mess around with putting into others--i.e. the hook.

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 11:46:46 PM
It's the MRO model (maintenance, repair, and operations) model. It doesn't show up that often used, as I don't think too many were sold.

For what I do, it's not too weapon-centric like most special purpose Gerbers; but it is different. I like the webbing cutter serrated blade (cutting hook at end) and hook). But if you do decide to use it for mod fodder, there's some tools that would be cool to mess around with putting into others--i.e. the hook.

Oh...you have no idea... >:D >:D >:D Basically the only letdowns on this tool for me are the pliers (big deal), and the overall size. But the weight is surprisingly low which is interesting. If I can save it by replacing with a Leatherman Plier head I might keep it together, at least for a little while. If not, expect to be seeing a bad ass Surge/St300 Hybrid with bit driver coming soon.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 03:00:12 AM
Typically gerber parts are not able to fit in a LM. There's just not enough material to engage the lock. Especially a ST/sized one, you will need even more. But that shouldnt stop u from doing magic. If I remember correctly, a rev pliers is a drop in for most butterfly gerber MTs.  :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 08:51:35 PM
Typically gerber parts are not able to fit in a LM. There's just not enough material to engage the lock. Especially a ST/sized one, you will need even more. But that shouldnt stop u from doing magic. If I remember correctly, a rev pliers is a drop in for most butterfly gerber MTs.  :cheers:

hopefully there is enough on this one, the videos I saw of it show thats its massive compared to the wave. Fingers crossed.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 04:03:43 AM
hopefully there is enough on this one, the videos I saw of it show thats its massive compared to the wave. Fingers crossed.

Actually yesterday I was cleaning my stuff and notice the the tools on the mp1/mro and much much bigger than I thought. All along I had the impression that they may be the same as the mp600 series. But I am wrong. They have so much more material at the pivot. May have more than you need to even use at the outside blades area. So, grind away.  :popcorn:

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 01:08:14 AM
Actually yesterday I was cleaning my stuff and notice the the tools on the mp1/mro and much much bigger than I thought. All along I had the impression that they may be the same as the mp600 series. But I am wrong. They have so much more material at the pivot. May have more than you need to even use at the outside blades area. So, grind away.  :popcorn:

My video review, much better tool than I expected...if they just kept some of these tools with a better pair of pliers...omg.. would be such a winner.

Looking really good for modding Sam, check these shots out:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 04:58:29 AM
 :like:
Nice work and review, HG! :tu:

I like the base model version for fine detail/tech work. Super sharp plier tips and 1/4" bit holder are great for technical work IMO. I used mine sometime back when I rebuilt two of my computers into new cases. Wish I had of owned an MP1 back in my PC repair days. :ahhh

I don't have that version, but I do have the regular MP1 and the AR weapons oriented version. As you said, good tools with disappointing pliers. They would have been much better off not trying to fit a spring cavity in the small pivot. :facepalm:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 05:13:24 AM
:like:
Nice work and review, HG! :tu:

I like the base model version for fine detail/tech work. Super sharp plier tips and 1/4" bit holder are great for technical work IMO. I used mine sometime back when I rebuilt two of my computers into new cases. Wish I had of owned an MP1 back in my PC repair days. :ahhh

I don't have that version, but I do have the regular MP1 and the AR weapons oriented version. As you said, good tools with disappointing pliers. They would have been much better off not trying to fit a spring cavity in the small pivot. :facepalm:

That's the reason I passed on it. They do one thing that strengthens the pliers (making them out of drop forged carbon tool steel, as opposed to cast stainless steel), then do one thing that pretty much negates any gain in durability from making them out of tool steel (putting an internal spring inside the pivot).  To me, big tools really don't sprung pliers. It's only necessary on SAK pliers and scissor-based tools.

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 02:47:30 PM
That's the reason I passed on it. They do one thing that strengthens the pliers (making them out of drop forged carbon tool steel, as opposed to cast stainless steel), then do one thing that pretty much negates any gain in durability from making them out of tool steel (putting an internal spring inside the pivot).  To me, big tools really don't sprung pliers. It's only necessary on SAK pliers and scissor-based tools.

Gerber does the frustrating thing of having a brilliant implementation in Mind then completely mess up on a key feature. The MP1 is a great example. With a plier head like the surge is would be a slam dunk home run.

The chisel, serrated blade, pry bar 3 in 1, and bit driver are just sooo good. In fact I love the serrated so much I think I might mod a surge serrated to have a similar end. I love the draw cutting potential.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%