Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Attempt to improve microdriver for corkscrew

cz Online z1913

Attempt to improve microdriver for corkscrew
on: December 14, 2021, 06:25:57 PM
As I learned in the other thread, the usability of Philips 000 from the micro driver set seems to be rather limited so I tried to improve the microdriver for CS by replacing the tiny slot driver with Philips 0.

I cut a tip from a regular 0 philips driver (actually not every Ph 0 fits into the corkscrew - some have too wide head), removed the tiny slot driver from the plastic "handle" (I used a candle to heat it up and extract it - it went out very smoothly), drilled a hole into the plastic and insert the 0 Ph driver into it - and voila, we have Ph 0 for corkscrew.

All went very well when dry assembled - you could easily screw and unscrew it to and from the corkscrew, but something went wrong when I used a superglue to fix it together - the handle is relatively soft and I probably deformed it during the process so I had to file some parts to fit into the corkscrew again.

I tested it on some recessed screws for battery compartment and as well with small philips screws in sunglasses. It is not great, the torque you can achieve with the tiny screwdriver is of course limited, but I was able to unscrew all of them, so so far so good.

* ph 0.jpg (Filesize: 86.19 KB)

* Ph 01.jpg (Filesize: 71.14 KB)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Attempt to improve microdriver for corkscrew
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 06:28:09 PM
That's great! :like:
I hope we see more driver variety from Vic.
And I need some sleep, because I read the title of your thread, and thought you were microwaving a corkscrew.

00 Online Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 07:38:30 PM
Nicely done!  :tu:

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 07:57:36 PM
Great work! :like: :like:

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 12:10:14 AM
Nice!  :tu:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 04:18:14 AM
As I learned in the other thread, the usability of Philips 000 from the micro driver set seems to be rather limited so I tried to improve the microdriver for CS by replacing the tiny slot driver with Philips 0.

I cut a tip from a regular 0 philips driver (actually not every Ph 0 fits into the corkscrew - some have too wide head), removed the tiny slot driver from the plastic "handle" (I used a candle to heat it up and extract it - it went out very smoothly), drilled a hole into the plastic and insert the 0 Ph driver into it - and voila, we have Ph 0 for corkscrew.

All went very well when dry assembled - you could easily screw and unscrew it to and from the corkscrew, but something went wrong when I used a superglue to fix it together - the handle is relatively soft and I probably deformed it during the process so I had to file some parts to fit into the corkscrew again.

I tested it on some recessed screws for battery compartment and as well with small philips screws in sunglasses. It is not great, the torque you can achieve with the tiny screwdriver is of course limited, but I was able to unscrew all of them, so so far so good.
Very nice and creative, z1913!
 :like:

To increase the grip on the screwdriver for better torque, you can screw it into the corkscrew backwards. Also, the hex barrel type like yours will fit in a hex bit driver or coupler.

* 2021-12-14 21.14.12.jpg (Filesize: 406.57 KB)
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 05:45:42 AM
Very nice and creative, z1913!
 :like:

To increase the grip on the screwdriver for better torque, you can screw it into the corkscrew backwards. Also, the hex barrel type like yours will fit in a hex bit driver or coupler.
Wow! I knew that the hex barrel of the mini driver would fit a standard 1/4" hex driver, but I never thought of attaching an adapter to the Phillips driver. Seems obvious now!
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 05:51:33 AM
Wow! I knew that the hex barrel of the mini driver would fit a standard 1/4" hex driver, but I never thought of attaching an adapter to the Phillips driver. Seems obvious now!
I put a small rubber-ish shim in to keep it snug on the Phillips. With the coupler, there are lots of possibilities...

* Hex bits 1.jpg (Filesize: 487.84 KB)
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD