Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Man on the Moon LE

Reinier · 197 · 10467

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: Man on the Moon LE
Reply #120 on: July 27, 2019, 07:56:39 AM
The seller at $200 BIN sold all 3 of his today.  At least prices are calming down a bit.  It'll be interesting to watch the next couple of auctions.

The blade etching is worth the price of the knife alone.  The part that gets me is how I missed them when they came out in '89.. :facepalm:

14 hours to go on this one...and 'only' bidding at $415 now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Knife-Master-Craftsman-Apollo-11-20th-Anniversary-RARE-/254306623961

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

scotland Offline VictorinoxEDC

• Scotland, UK
Reply #121 on: July 27, 2019, 08:53:12 AM
PM sent, Myron.  :pok:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #122 on: July 27, 2019, 04:38:50 PM
 :cheers: Actually, that's the best price I've seen on that knife in a long time.
If I picked up a knife for that price, everyone would be celebrating the first unpowered lunar orbit in history....mine! :facepalm:
The seller at $200 BIN sold all 3 of his today.  At least prices are calming down a bit.  It'll be interesting to watch the next couple of auctions.

14 hours to go on this one...and 'only' bidding at $415 now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Knife-Master-Craftsman-Apollo-11-20th-Anniversary-RARE-/254306623961

(Image removed from quote.)
Barry

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #123 on: July 27, 2019, 06:24:49 PM
I think I remember seeing one go earlier this year for $425 or so that was in NIB/NOS condition.  The one in this particular listing looks a little more, um, "used" to my eye. 

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #124 on: July 27, 2019, 10:03:23 PM
I remember that one too Myron.  I agree with you about this one, in that it looks like it's seen some action over the years.
Barry

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #125 on: July 27, 2019, 11:01:30 PM
Interesting...I'm guessing that it was just high up on the list for those two bidders. Real commitment on the bids.

I don't mind used copies, but not that and not in that price range.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #126 on: July 28, 2019, 10:44:28 AM
At this moment a 'Man on the Moon' is for sale (auction) at ricardo.ch.
Price now is already 225 Euro's.

https://www.ricardo.ch/de/a/victorinox-man-on-the-moon-1075728364/

BTW: I will NOT bid on it, nor am I the seller.

Offline Vicfan

• New User
Reply #127 on: July 28, 2019, 01:11:04 PM
Interesting...I'm guessing that it was just high up on the list for those two bidders. Real commitment on the bids.

I don't mind used copies, but not that and not in that price range.

Hi, I am the one who purchased the used knife for 455 USD :) I just registered on that forum to explain why I bought this knife in bad shape at such a high price after reading your comments.

It actually breaks my heart to see such nice collectibles in bad shape like this one. I'm lucky enough to live in Switzerland so I figured I would buy it - almost regardless of the price - and send it back to Victorinox workshop for a full restoration.

I already contacted them and sent pictures of the knife, they told me they can probably do something to remove the smaller "scars" and perform a full cleaning of the blades. They also mentioned that after the restoration we would still probably see some of the bigger "scars" and they warned me that if they break the knife during the process they cannot replace the sides as they are not being produced anymore...

But I'm willing to take the risk just to save that small little guy from its condition. I'm not sure if I will decide to keep it after the restoration process of sell it again, knowing that the idea is not to make any profit but get at least of portion of the cost back.

I apologize for any mistake in writing, english being not my native language :)

Thank you!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #128 on: July 28, 2019, 03:01:22 PM
Your English is excellent!  Thank you for saving this treasure, and please post pics of it when you get it back from Victorinox.
Barry

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: July 28, 2019, 03:08:35 PM
Yes, I can't wait to see it when it's done!  Please come back and let us know how it turned out, Vicfan.  Welcome to MTo!

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #130 on: July 28, 2019, 06:10:27 PM
Hi, I am the one who purchased the used knife for 455 USD :) I just registered on that forum to explain why I bought this knife in bad shape at such a high price after reading your comments.

It actually breaks my heart to see such nice collectibles in bad shape like this one. I'm lucky enough to live in Switzerland so I figured I would buy it - almost regardless of the price - and send it back to Victorinox workshop for a full restoration.

I already contacted them and sent pictures of the knife, they told me they can probably do something to remove the smaller "scars" and perform a full cleaning of the blades. They also mentioned that after the restoration we would still probably see some of the bigger "scars" and they warned me that if they break the knife during the process they cannot replace the sides as they are not being produced anymore...

But I'm willing to take the risk just to save that small little guy from its condition. I'm not sure if I will decide to keep it after the restoration process of sell it again, knowing that the idea is not to make any profit but get at least of portion of the cost back.

Thank you!

:hatsoff:

Guess you have been more convincing to the seller about shipping international, because when I asked he said he wouldn’t do international shipping  :cheers:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

Offline Vicfan

• New User
Reply #131 on: July 28, 2019, 06:32:14 PM
I am using a forwarder, so the seller actually ships to a US address and the forwarder ships it back to me, at additional costs for me of course.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #132 on: July 28, 2019, 07:07:23 PM

Thank you!

Thank you for taking the time to sign up and for your reply! You're english is great!

I do respect, admire, and appreciate the commitment to save and restore this one.  :tu:  I was interested in doing the same, but I would have done the resoration myself.  I only wish you got it at a lower price...the other bidder was very committed too.  I am glad I wasn't your competition!  :)

Please share the pictures of the before/after restoration if you can!

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #133 on: July 28, 2019, 08:30:22 PM
Nice username, Vicfan. Have you ever visited vicfan.com?
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Offline Vicfan

• New User
Reply #134 on: July 28, 2019, 08:55:10 PM
Nice username, Vicfan. Have you ever visited vicfan.com?

Well I just did now :) Are you the owner ?

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #135 on: July 28, 2019, 10:04:37 PM
Yes I am :)

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #136 on: July 28, 2019, 10:23:30 PM
Didn´t know that Reinier. Nice !

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #137 on: July 29, 2019, 08:55:29 AM
Thanks. I never update it though.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #138 on: July 30, 2019, 03:53:03 AM
At least prices are calming down a bit.  It'll be interesting to watch the next couple of auctions.

Wrongo.  :facepalm:  :oops:

Looks like at least 11 sold so far globally on *bay, at prices solidly above $300 USD before shipping.

I'm wondering if unboxing or checking numbers hurts or helps values.  #1,224 is also for sale in the US. 

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #139 on: July 30, 2019, 04:06:46 AM
As always, your best bet is here on MTo.  I sold mine to a fellow forum member for exactly what it cost me, plus shipping to his country of course. 

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #140 on: August 02, 2019, 05:35:26 PM
Seems like many sold in the US are still around #1,200.  I'm surprised there isn't anything outside of this number range coming out of the US.

There are #1,206 and #1,244 for sale, seller is letting buyer choose one. 

scotland Offline VictorinoxEDC

• Scotland, UK
Reply #141 on: August 02, 2019, 10:14:49 PM
As always, your best bet is here on MTo.  I sold mine to a fellow forum member for exactly what it cost me, plus shipping to his country of course.

It's absolutely true. He did. Cheers again, Myron  :cheers:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #142 on: August 02, 2019, 10:36:13 PM
Seems like many sold in the US are still around #1,200.  I'm surprised there isn't anything outside of this number range coming out of the US.

There are #1,206 and #1,244 for sale, seller is letting buyer choose one.

If it helps, mine is in the high 1300s. :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #143 on: August 02, 2019, 10:48:53 PM

:tu: Helps to know, sure!  :hatsoff:  I'm really curious about where the #1,9xx ones went!

Looks like #0439 went to Switzerland.

It's absolutely true. He did. Cheers again, Myron  :cheers:
Nice that it worked out for you and CeHo!  :tu:

Offline Vicfan

• New User
Reply #144 on: August 07, 2019, 12:08:02 AM
Hi all,

I just purchased this one (see attachment) on ebay - how can I know if it's one of the rarest edition or not ?
I have good hope it's a pre-1991 model as it doesn't seem to have a hook or chisel.
What do you think ? Thanks!
Vicfan.jpg
* Vicfan.jpg (Filesize: 134.5 KB)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #145 on: August 07, 2019, 03:45:49 AM
Hi all,

I just purchased this one (see attachment) on ebay - how can I know if it's one of the rarest edition or not ?
I have good hope it's a pre-1991 model as it doesn't seem to have a hook or chisel.
What do you think ? Thanks!

It certainly looks like it's pre-'91...But not sure if it should have a can key in the phillips?  I was looking at it too.

EDIT: Maybe it's a 'rare' early version?  Doesn't have the 90º stop opener.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 04:04:03 AM by kamakiri »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #146 on: August 07, 2019, 03:50:05 AM

There's a #1,351 for sale from the states and #352 available from Germany.

Interesting to see where number ranges went so far.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #147 on: August 07, 2019, 06:16:06 AM
 :cheers:

I still have CeHo's MOTM, but haven't opened the shipping carton. I'm assuming it is close to the one I have, but we'll find out when CeHo gets it. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #148 on: August 08, 2019, 12:46:41 AM
It certainly looks like it's pre-'91...But not sure if it should have a can key in the phillips?  I was looking at it too.

EDIT: Maybe it's a 'rare' early version?  Doesn't have the 90º stop opener.

Mine has the can key slotted Philip's driver and no 90º stop on the cap lifter.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #149 on: August 08, 2019, 05:56:17 AM
Mine has the can key slotted Philip's driver and no 90º stop on the cap lifter.

(Image removed from quote.)

:think: I think I was confusing Astronaut dates (c. '86+) with Space Shuttle dates (mid '80s?).  :dunno:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%