Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hello From Scotland

scotland Offline calcifur83

Hello From Scotland
on: July 09, 2019, 03:37:31 PM
Hi All,

Thought I would introduce my self. 

I am a fan of all things gadgety, so naturally Multitools and SAKS are always on my RADAR, not that I actually own that many! However I plan on changing that over the next few months/years.

See you in the forums!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Hello From Scotland
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 04:40:47 PM
Welcome to the forum matey.  :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 05:18:13 PM
Welcome to  :MTO:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 05:59:33 PM
Howdy and Welcome!   :waving:

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 09:36:29 PM
welcome mate
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 09:44:39 PM
Welcome to  :MTO: :cheers:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 11:30:04 PM
Welcome. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 11:33:14 PM
Welcome to MT.o, calcifur83!  :cheers:

Any pics of the tools you have?  :drink:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 12:13:51 AM
Hello and welcome !   :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 12:36:48 PM
Welcome to :MTO: calcifur :cheers:

Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 08:34:58 PM
Welcome to MT.o, calcifur83!  :cheers:

Any pics of the tools you have?  :drink:
Here is my megre stash.

True Utility Dawg - actually very useful

Leatherman PS4 Squirt - handy, but the pliers are a bit of a gimick

Leatherman Surge - A bit disappointed with this really.  Pliers are good, blades are good, scissors are not so good and the screwdrivers are very brittle, already broken then and had them repaired. Bit driver is good.

Victorinox Hunter - awesome! I bought this new nearly 20yr ago when I was 16 on holiday on Murren, Switzerland.

Victorinox Camper - Belonged to my girlfriend's father, I got it after he died some years ago, never left my side. I use it everyday.

Gerber Shard - only had it a few weeks.  No use for it so far and its horrible to have in your pocket.  Its days are numbered!!!

Time for the camper to be replaced with something else before I destroy it.  Thinking about a Swiss Champ.

Also want to add a mini champ, I have had 2 in the past and they were amazingly useful, but I lost them both.

Also want to add a SOG or two to the pile.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 01:58:38 PM
Nice wee collection there. :tu:

If you fancy moving up from the Camper can I suggest you look at the Ranger?  The Champ is a great SAK but I've always found it a bit big for day-to-day.  The Ranger is as big as I find comfy and has most of the useful functions.

Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 03:07:42 PM
Yes, the ranger is also on my list of possibles. It's just that since being young and in Scouts I always wanted a champ. I may end up being a pack knife. 

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 03:43:08 PM
Yes, the ranger is also on my list of possibles. It's just that since being young and in Scouts I always wanted a champ. I may end up being a pack knife. 

that is EXACTLY the same reason I now own one myself.  :D

Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 03:49:44 PM
The thing I like about SAKs is they are cheap enough that it's not gonna break the bank having more than one!  .

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: July 14, 2019, 03:49:05 AM
Here is my megre stash.

True Utility Dawg - actually very useful

Leatherman PS4 Squirt - handy, but the pliers are a bit of a gimick

Leatherman Surge - A bit disappointed with this really.  Pliers are good, blades are good, scissors are not so good and the screwdrivers are very brittle, already broken then and had them repaired. Bit driver is good.

Victorinox Hunter - awesome! I bought this new nearly 20yr ago when I was 16 on holiday on Murren, Switzerland.

Victorinox Camper - Belonged to my girlfriend's father, I got it after he died some years ago, never left my side. I use it everyday.

Gerber Shard - only had it a few weeks.  No use for it so far and its horrible to have in your pocket.  Its days are numbered!!!

Time for the camper to be replaced with something else before I destroy it.  Thinking about a Swiss Champ.

Also want to add a mini champ, I have had 2 in the past and they were amazingly useful, but I lost them both.

Also want to add a SOG or two to the pile.

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice group there, calcifur83! :like:

Sorry I didn't see the reply until now. The thread somehow didn't show up in the replies list. :ahhh

You've got a lot of bases covered indeed. The Champ is always a winner, and will pretty much do everything most people would need. :)

If you are looking at SOG, I recommend bypassing the "tacticool" stuff they make now and try their older models. The PowerLock and PowerAssist come to mind for heavy duty. The PocketPowerPlier and older PowerPlier are great tools as well, but the tools are slip joint instead of locking.

Thanks for sharing! :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Reply #16 on: July 14, 2019, 04:11:11 PM
Yeah
I fancy something like the power access.  Also like the power pint as something to add to my motorcycle tool kit.

I am on the hunt for a pocked power plier but they are hard to find here in the UK it seems.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: July 14, 2019, 04:21:25 PM
 :cheers:

The PowerAccess isn't a bad tool(nor is it good). It just has some issues that need sorting. Problem is that SOG won't sort them. :facepalm:

Main issue is the file. I estimate 25% of them have a useless file, because the teeth weren't ground deep enough. And the ones with a usable file are way below par. The older SOG's files are usually acceptable(though still not great).
The other issue, that I will say I also had, was the tools opening passed the lock bars. It was remedied by filing a clean edge on the driver tang, but nobody should have to repair a brand new tool in fear a replacement from SOG could be worse. :facepalm:

If you get a good example of the Access, it is perfectly adequate for moderate usage though. :)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: July 14, 2019, 04:22:30 PM
Just my opinion, calcifur, but SOG is making some crap tools these days. I would not be tempted by their innovative designs and low prices, were I you. Leatherman and Victorinox are solid choices. I just found a used Leatherman Super Tool on Ebay for a very reasonable price ($25US). I think it is better quality--though a bit more quirky--than the newer Leathermans.

Stalk and hunt the used markets. You may save yourself some brass and end up with a better choice or two.

The SwissChamp is a fun knife. Once you become accustomed to carrying it, it doesn't seem as bad as it seems with first impressions. I really like mine.  :tu:

Having said that.....for a similar price, you could get the fantastic Vic Spirt.

Staying with the pocket SAK, theme, I've found that a Vic Fieldmaster makes an excellent all-around SAK. Covers most Scouting needs and it's easy to pocket carry.  I don't have a Ranger (  :pommel: ), but it does seem like an excellent choice. So I'll second that recommendation (despite my actions clearly showing a preference for the 4 layer beasties  ;))

Don't worry, over time you'll end up with more SAKs and multitools than you really need.  :cry:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: July 14, 2019, 04:42:40 PM
calcifur, I'll make you a deal:

Post a photo or two of your bike in the Motorcycle thread: Anything to do with motorcycles, scooter, etc...

After you post a photo there, send me your mailing address and I will send you this SOG Powerlock (see photo below). I used this multitool for a 30-day challenge and found it to be fairly good. Not free of issues, but a good tool. It would be good for a biker, since it has a 1/4" bit driver, perfect for all your bike's most common sockets and drivers. (maybe read through the challenge thread to make up your mind as to whether or not you want to try it out.)

RF52 had a great 30-day challenge with his Powerlock, so perhaps I'm just being a bit too fussy with my expectations: RF52's Powerlock challenge. A good read and a great example of how to do a 30-day challenge well! 

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: July 14, 2019, 04:46:58 PM
Very nice of you Nix  :like: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: July 14, 2019, 04:49:28 PM
Very nice of you Nix  :like: :tu:

Nah, I just want to see his motorcycle......  :rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: July 14, 2019, 04:49:51 PM

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: July 14, 2019, 04:53:10 PM

Nah, I just want to see his motorcycle......  :rofl:
That’s a great way to get to see his motorbike  :D

Reply #24 on: July 15, 2019, 11:21:46 AM
calcifur, I'll make you a deal:

Post a photo or two of your bike in the Motorcycle thread: Anything to do with motorcycles, scooter, etc...

After you post a photo there, send me your mailing address and I will send you this SOG Powerlock (see photo below). I used this multitool for a 30-day challenge and found it to be fairly good. Not free of issues, but a good tool. It would be good for a biker, since it has a 1/4" bit driver, perfect for all your bike's most common sockets and drivers. (maybe read through the challenge thread to make up your mind as to whether or not you want to try it out.)

(Image removed from quote.)

RF52 had a great 30-day challenge with his Powerlock, so perhaps I'm just being a bit too fussy with my expectations: RF52's Powerlock challenge. A good read and a great example of how to do a 30-day challenge well! 

If you have a look you will see a couple of pics now.   :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 02:18:09 PM
 :like:

Shoot me your mailing addy, and I'll get the Powerlock over to you.  :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 02:41:17 PM
Very generous Nix  :like: :tu:

Reply #27 on: July 15, 2019, 02:46:18 PM
:like:

Shoot me your mailing addy, and I'll get the Powerlock over to you.  :tu:

:iagree: Very generous indeed.  I think I sent a PM regarding this, but it doesn't appear in my sent folder.... :think:

If it hasn't sent let me know @NIx and I will send it again.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 15, 2019, 02:48:18 PM
Very generous Nix  :like: :tu:

Yeah, that's how it starts, then you get the calls in the middle of the night asking for inappropriate pics of your motorbike and what pocket knife you carrying tomorrow...  :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: July 15, 2019, 02:49:54 PM
Good work, Nix!  :tu:

Very cool.  :)

Yeah, that's how it starts, then you get the calls in the middle of the night asking for pics of your motorbike and what pocket knife you carrying tomorrow...  :facepalm:

shhhhhhh. Don't spill the beans, Fuzzy.  :poh:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%