Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thinking of getting Free P4, 3rd Party Sheathe Question

00 Offline Landsavage

• New User
Hello,

I am new to the forums. I have always been a multitool user, I was in a program as a youth and we had to earn our "knife" which was basically the privilege to carry full sized tools which were checked out and returned daily, and the ability to carry a multitool on our persons at all times. It was a build your own structure, no electricity kind of program where we really learned to be self sufficient. Needless to say, I have loved multitools ever since and am still a daily user.

Now that background and introduction is over, I currently carry a Leatherman Skeletool and have been for about 2.5 years, probably more. I love it, because its simple, has pliers, knife, screwdriver, which those 3 are my main needs from ANY tool. I recently started installing satellite internet systems and I love that I can use the carabiner to hook it to my front right belt loop. I wear a tool belt for many of my cable tools and different fasteners and of course, zip ties, lots of zip ties.

With my tool belt on I can access the Skeletool in a pinch, even while crawling under a house, its probably my most used tool. However something that I don't like is the pliers are not easily accessible with one hand, many times I am hold a drill or wrench, or even something larger, and need to get those pliers to hold a nut or something. I am able to do it, but its not user friendly. I started looking around for something that meets my needs, I need easily accessible pliers, knife, and a screwdriver would be nice too. Gerber slide pliers are cool, but in my experience over time, they become loose and drop out, so I think more traditional pliers is better for me (sorry Gerber).

So I stumble upon the Free, and am intrigued. Similar to Wave, but all outside tools, a clear distinction of which is the knife, and pliers that appear to be only held tight by a magnet which afterwards, seem to be "free" folding, making it easy to flip open. I noticed similar one handed flipping operation on the SOG PowerAssist (I don't like the metal cover on the other tools though). So I started thinking, "this Free, might be for me". What about the sheathe though? I do not want to withdraw a tool on my belt where the opening for the tool would technically be above my belt line, as my tool belt will most likely block that opening. I did a Google search for a "low hanging sheathe for Free P4" and found nothing.

I was wondering, does anyone know of a sheathe that would cover this? Or maybe even another tool, it doesn't HAVE to be Leatherman, but I do like their products and commitment to quality. I feel like it will be hard to transition to any traditional style sheathe after having had the versatility of the Skeletool.

I appreciate any help in advance.

us Offline JonesE

Re: Thinking of getting Free P4, 3rd Party Sheathe Question
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 03:22:31 AM
Hi Landsavage, and welcome to the forum.

So my suggestion for you would be to search for a sheath for the Charge or Wave. They are close in size to the Free P4. I am adding a photo as a visual reference to help you out.

JonesE

au Offline aussieman

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 03:23:06 AM
If you haven't had the pleasure of discovering Zapwizard, then let me be the guy to tell you today is like christmas morning. He is a genius on this forum that makes 3D printed holsters.

I have one on order from him, so I can't vouch for it before it arrives, but if anyone can do this for you it would be one of his ones. He has a (P4 only at this stage) holster with every sort of belt option possible.

Shapeways shop:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/N7R8PYNUQ/holster-for-leatherman-free-p4?optionId=102732138

Change the size options to see the five different attachment options.

Thread on the development:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,81481.0.html

Custom option he did for me - a trimmed down variation of the "Large" option.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/HLHE8NHNG/holster-free-p4-mid-mount-metal-clip-cropped

And lastly check out his other amazing things - I ordered his thumb tabs because the P4 blades can be hard to open. He also does bit holders.
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/zapwizard

This guy can fix just about everything wrong with a P4 and make a great tool a dream tool.

au Offline aussieman

Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 03:32:44 AM
Hi Landsavage, and welcome to the forum.

So my suggestion for you would be to search for a sheath for the Charge or Wave. They are close in size to the Free P4. I am adding a photo as a visual reference to help you out.

JonesE

One note is that some sheathes that are designed for the Charge might not cope with the extra length. I have a 3rd party one that fits the thinner P2 fine but is very tight on the P4. I assume it would stretch a little over time and get better.

The P4 is thinner but longer than the Charge , so as long as there is some flex you should be good, but see if you can try in person before buying.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 04:25:16 AM
Welcome to  :MTO:  Landsavage :cheers:

Hope that you find a sheath that will work for you :tu: also as aussie man has said, Zapwizard may be a great person to  message on here and see if he can make something for your needs :salute:

00 Offline Landsavage

• New User
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 05:06:08 AM
Guys I really appreciate the fast responses. I looked at ZapWizards, sheathes and they are very nice looking. I see he has a side carry option as well, which may work for my needs.

I am going to keep looking, I'm not 100% set on the Free P4 yet, though whatever I choose I will definitely be checking out those sheathes.

Any other suggestions on multitools maybe? I really liked the look of the Gerber CenterDrive, but like I said, I feel like Gerber's pliers tend to have issues over time, and some reviews I watched it seemed to have a bit of play, which is a red flag, but such a great idea for the 3 main tools I need.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%