Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need a new pack.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Need a new pack.
on: July 14, 2019, 05:31:06 PM
I realized that now that my old Wenger (which I've had since at least 2013) pack's zipper is shot, I don't have a decent pack I can use for EDC (I overloaded the old Wenger when at the community college, and I never waxed the zipper until the zipper first started giving me trouble). Now that I'm really finding a pack helps keep my EDC organized and keeps bulk out of my pants, I'm starting to really like the concept of an EDC backpack. All my other packs are the wrong choice--my other Wenger pack is designed and used as an overnight bag; my old "Outdoor Adventures" pack from Scouts is good, but is better as a camping and travel bag (while rather small, it can hold an unholy amount of stuff), and my 3-Day Assault Pack is too heavy, too bulky, and too "tacticool" for EDC use. But it is tougher than nails.

Right now, Jansport is looking pretty good, as they're fairly well made, inexpensive, and tough. I'm sure I might be able to pick a good used one up at a thrift store for peanuts. Just as long as it doesn't have floral print or something else feminine--I'm fine.   Any other options I should explore?  Max budget is around $50.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Need a new pack.
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 06:40:41 PM
Seeing what is available at a thrift store is a great idea for starters.  Why not see if you can find something you like for a buck or two and maybe try different styles?  I've ended up with numerous packs over the years, mostly bought used at thrift shops and tag sales,  and any packs I didn't like to carry were still useful for organizing and storage of different items. So, for example, I have 1 pack full of extension cords so I know where they are when I need them.  Got another pack with all of my bungee cords and cargo straps that I keep in my vehicle.   I prefer packs that don't unzip all the way to the bottom and open like a clam shell, because I don't like the idea of stuff falling out if I'm on the go and forget to zip it all the way up.  A zipper that only goes half way down means the bottom half of the pack is solid and my stuff won't fall out.  I like multiple smaller pockets on the outside and at least one of those pockets needs to have pen slots and other specific use dividers or sub pockets. It's nice to have a place for sunglasses and a means to attach a water bottle.  If you really want something new you might want to look up anti theft back packs. They are designed to be secure and prevent pickpockets from getting your stuff.  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%