Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bike lamp, battery tech question

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Bike lamp, battery tech question
on: July 15, 2019, 04:27:38 PM
Hi folks,

I'm not very electrical minded. I have this lamp (https://www.ebay.com/itm/263711644964) on my electric bike but it doesn't get used any more. If I wanted to fit it to my regular bike, could I power it with 18650 cells and if so how many would I need in tandem to get it to run? I don't mind less than full power, it's very bright already. It's a good light.

Thanks!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Bike lamp, battery tech question
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 05:31:34 PM
Hi folks,

I'm not very electrical minded. I have this lamp (https://www.ebay.com/itm/263711644964) on my electric bike but it doesn't get used any more. If I wanted to fit it to my regular bike, could I power it with 18650 cells and if so how many would I need in tandem to get it to run? I don't mind less than full power, it's very bright already. It's a good light.

Thanks!

Pomsbz, the specification on the ebay page claim it operates from DC 12V-80V, how do you used to supply the power to this light from your electric bike or do you know how many volts is your electric bike supplying to the light?   Is your electric bike running on something like a car battery?

I think it may be possible to use 18650 to power this, but just want to make sure there is enough power and the current draw is not too high so the batteries get too warm too quickly.

Another way is simply to ask the seller whether this light can be run on 18650(protected?) and how many cells are needed.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 06:33:39 PM
Pomsbz, the specification on the ebay page claim it operates from DC 12V-80V, how do you used to supply the power to this light from your electric bike or do you know how many volts is your electric bike supplying to the light?   Is your electric bike running on something like a car battery?

I think it may be possible to use 18650 to power this, but just want to make sure there is enough power and the current draw is not too high so the batteries get too warm too quickly.

Another way is simply to ask the seller whether this light can be run on 18650(protected?) and how many cells are needed.

The bike battery is 48V (I think). To be honest I think I'm just going to stick with a flashlight. I bought this bracket https://www.ebay.com/113812182929 and I'll just stick one of my BLF A6 SE's on it.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 09:36:57 PM
The bike battery is 48V (I think). To be honest I think I'm just going to stick with a flashlight. I bought this bracket https://www.ebay.com/113812182929 and I'll just stick one of my BLF A6 SE's on it.

Wow, 48volts :o

That will be a lot of 18650 to match that voltage, and finding a good weather proof case and maintaining those batteries would probably be a hassle.  I agree with you--it probably is easier to find a flashlight with decent throw and good spill for bicycle use.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 12:12:15 AM
For 48V, you would have to buy extra electronics to bump the voltage from a couple of 18650s to 48V (slightly complicated, inefficient and not free), or hook up 13 batteries.  :ahhh
A 18650 bike flashlight will definitely be cheaper.
(And more streamlined. :D )
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 03:28:07 PM
The light only needs 12V, not the full 48V of the bike battery. :)

I've been riding for the past couple of nights with just a flashlight and it's been more than fine actually!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 02:53:02 PM
The light only needs 12V, not the full 48V of the bike battery. :)

I've been riding for the past couple of nights with just a flashlight and it's been more than fine actually!

That's cool!  Should be pretty easy to maintain and less weight too!

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 07:57:08 PM
I used to run with one of these (the big one in the pic) MTE G33

With the new ebike I chose this one, Fenix BC30R:

:angel:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

Donations