Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Generic stanley auto plier is better than the actual one.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
A while back I bought a Stanley Auto Plier new in the packaging. If you're not familiar, it's a keychain-sized version of the SOG switchplier, in the same vein as the SOG Micro ToolClip. My brand new auto plier was very stiff to use, with a resistance to closing smoothly. I chalked it up to the design of the tool - just a poor leverage design causing basic movement of the plier to require too much force from the lever. The wire cutters were also crap. Well, not long after I sold my auto pliers, I happened upon an auction for a no-name copy of the stanley auto plier for $5 or $7. I don't really remember. I just snagged one and then put it in bag I store the keychain sized tools.

Well, I got it out the other day and played with it for the first time. It still has terrible leverage, but the binding/resistance is far less, so that the plier jaws operate smoothly. You can still feel it, but they're not as bad anymore. The wire cutters also work on the generic version! They require FAR too much force to cut stranded 18ga automotive primary wire, but they actually do the job. They cut a cheapo USB cable okay, and the internal tiny wires in the USB cable are cut perfectly and easily.

The tools are still too small and difficult to access, and the plier mechanism actually robs leverage instead of compounding it (Is the switchplier like this as well?). But the cheapo is actually significantly better than the branded version, which I found really weird.

Charles.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Re: Generic stanley auto plier is better than the actual one.
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 03:23:59 AM
Good write-up but....

:worthless:
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 04:09:23 AM
 :iagree:

Very unfortunately, I find the SOG switch pliers the same. Weak pliers due to the rotating mechanism and further inpeded by the excessively strong spring. It doesn't have very good cutters either. It's one of my very first SOG. I must say I am pretty disappointed by the performance.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 05:42:11 AM
.... I happened upon an auction for a no-name copy of the stanley auto plier for $5 or $7. I don't really remember. I just snagged one and then put it in bag I store the keychain sized tools.

.... But the cheapo is actually significantly better than the branded version, which I found really weird.

You got lucky !   I bought a bunch of these no-name copies, and every single one was crap.  The only consolation was that they were quite cheap, but as is often the case, I got what I paid for.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 06:11:05 AM
Pics as requested!

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 06:12:26 AM
Another

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 06:13:22 AM
Last one

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 06:16:31 AM
Oh don’t get me wrong. It’s still crap. It just actually cuts wire and has smooth ish movement. Neither of which the Stanley I had could manage. It could be I have a normal cheapo tool and had gotten a bad Stanley I suppose.

At any rate these aren’t good tools. Kinda fun to fiddle with but not good for actual use. Sog ToolClip is by far better in this size range.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 11:44:25 AM
Would make a good Christmas ornament; I know I hang one on my tree.
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 01:15:53 PM
Cool find. Along with the Stanley, I have a pair of Fast and Furious advertisers in different colours (circa 2001).Those are kinda cool. I have as yet personally seen the no name branded version like yours.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 02:11:32 PM
Cool find. Along with the Stanley, I have a pair of Fast and Furious advertisers in different colours (circa 2001).Those are kinda cool. I have as yet personally seen the no name branded version like yours.

If international postage from Oz wasn't so expensive I'd flick one of these no-name copies your way (I'm never going to use any of mine).  I also have some Fast & Furious versions (I'm a sucker for brightly coloured MTs, so I grabbed the pink, lime green, red, orange & black ones)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 05:34:19 AM
Would make a good Christmas ornament; I know I hang one on my tree.

Your brilliant. .. so many ideas.. imagine a tree of Vic classics !   :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD