Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

AA light recommendation, preferably budget $

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
on: July 16, 2019, 10:31:08 PM
Howdy!

I have a few zebralight AAs, the latest is an sc52w which is my main AA light. Well, it’s starting to act wonky where it won’t turn off or switch modes reliably  :-\ so I’m looking for a replacement AA. My edc is a AAA Felix ld01, so this will mainly be for camping, car repair, or other uses when I need a bit more oomph.

Since this is the second zebralight I’ve had go bonkers, I’d like to try something else, preferably a bit cheaper. I do like the really low mode for middle of the night when camping, but a sub-lumen mode isn’t strictly necessary.

I kind of like to lumintop tool AA (which is on a prime day sale today), mainly for the price, but the low mode is pretty bright.

Any suggestions?
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: AA light recommendation, preferably budget $
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 10:41:25 PM
Does Zebralight have a warranty that you can use?

My only AA is a Manker E03H.
It's a headlamp that can be used as a hand light.

I like it because you can set the moonlight mode (which comes on first, by the way) to whatever brightness you want, from "I can't tell if this is on or not, even in the dark" to "that's getting kinda bright... More like a low mode".

And yes, it has a low mode too.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 10:46:30 PM

I like it because you can set the moonlight mode (which comes on first, by the way) to whatever brightness you want, from "I can't tell if this is on or not, even in the dark" to "that's getting kinda bright... More like a low mode".

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check it out.

Zebra has a warranty, but mine is long past it. I’m not knocking them, I still think they are great lights. It’s just my really abused ld01, which cost me ~$20 8 ish years ago is going strong. The ~$60 zebra which is rarely used is failing after around 4-5 years. So, it’s not bad, 4-5 years is still a good run, but I just don’t have the cash currently to drop $60 on another light.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 10:52:30 PM
I can’t speak for the Lumintop AA, but I have 4 of their AAA lights. All have been solid lights. Plus that Prime price is looking pretty good.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 11:07:55 PM
Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check it out.

Zebra has a warranty, but mine is long past it. I’m not knocking them, I still think they are great lights. It’s just my really abused ld01, which cost me ~$20 8 ish years ago is going strong. The ~$60 zebra which is rarely used is failing after around 4-5 years. So, it’s not bad, 4-5 years is still a good run, but I just don’t have the cash currently to drop $60 on another light.

I am pretty sure that ZL will repair your light for $15 flat.
Luckily mine have been perfect and I still EDC one full time.

I really like that Manker too but it can be tough sometimes to make a right angle light work for me.

I just snagged a couple of Armytek AA Partners for under $20 each on sale direct from them and they seem to go on sale pretty often and they seem like outstanding lights so far.
A little long but also really tough.

The Jetbeam Jet1-MK is an amazing AA light for cheap and everyone seems crazy for the Tool too.

I try a lot of AA lights but I can not imagine not having an SC52w in my pocket at all.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 11:11:29 PM
I can’t speak for the Lumintop AA, but I have 4 of their AAA lights. All have been solid lights. Plus that Prime price is looking pretty good.

Yeah, the price is certainly tempting!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 11:12:33 PM
I am pretty sure that ZL will repair your light for $15 flat.
Luckily mine have been perfect and I still EDC one full time.

I really like that Manker too but it can be tough sometimes to make a right angle light work for me.

I just snagged a couple of Armytek AA Partners for under $20 each on sale direct from them and they seem to go on sale pretty often and they seem like outstanding lights so far.
A little long but also really tough.

The Jetbeam Jet1-MK is an amazing AA light for cheap and everyone seems crazy for the Tool too.

I try a lot of AA lights but I can not imagine not having an SC52w in my pocket at all.

Thanks for the additional suggestions!

I’m going to email zebralight now. If I can get it fixed cheaply, then that’s a no brainer. I love the tint and UI, so if I could get it working right again, I’d love it.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 11:19:56 PM
Let us know the outcome please. My SC52 L2 has performed flawlessly for years. I’ve dropped it numerous times on concrete and even metal grating. If they fix them for $15 flat, I will know where to go when it’s time to upgrade.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 11:23:26 PM
Let us know the outcome please. My SC52 L2 has performed flawlessly for years. I’ve dropped it numerous times on concrete and even metal grating. If they fix them for $15 flat, I will know where to go when it’s time to upgrade.

Will do. I’ve sent the email, so hopefully I’ll know soon.

I always assumed with the design that they weren’t repairable, but if they have some sort of flat rate repair or replacement thing, that would be amazing. And basically would secure me as a customer for life!

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 11:27:08 PM
Will do. I’ve sent the email, so hopefully I’ll know soon.

I always assumed with the design that they weren’t repairable, but if they have some sort of flat rate repair or replacement thing, that would be amazing. And basically would secure me as a customer for life!

That would be pretty close to a Leatherman warranty.  :iagree:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 11:27:57 PM
If the zebralight can’t be repaired, I’m liking the looks of the jetbeam ezdog suggested. The mode spacing seems perfect for me. Low for night use, a not too bright medium for general tasks and a nicely high high for distance use or outdoor daylight use. I also like that it has a real reflector instead of an optic (which always seems more floods than I like).

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 11:31:52 PM
I’ll have to take a look at it. Did the Lumintop have an optic? If so, I’d give it a pass.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 11:33:01 PM
I’ll have to take a look at it. Did the Lumintop have an optic? If so, I’d give it a pass.

The “tool AA” looks to still have a glass lens and reflector. The aaa tool and the worm (which is renamed) both have optics now.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 11:34:46 PM

Just looked at the manker. That’s a very cool light. I like the nichia option, magnetic tail, built in diffuser...

I can see this being a difficult decision  :D

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 11:37:35 PM
The options are ridiculous for AA lights. That low on the fenix looks good, but some of the reviews I read put me off it. That and a 2 year warranty.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 11:38:14 PM
Now you have me looking for a light I don’t need.  :twak:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 11:39:08 PM
The options are ridiculous for AA lights. That low on the fenix looks good, but some of the reviews I read put me off it. That and a 2 year warranty.

Which fenix?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 11:39:34 PM
Now you have me looking for a light I don’t need.  :twak:

You’re welcome  :D  ;)

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 11:40:42 PM
Sorry. Meant Jetbeam.  :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 11:59:24 PM
Just looked at the manker. That’s a very cool light. I like the nichia option, magnetic tail, built in diffuser...

I can see this being a difficult decision  :D
Yeah, the Nichia was a big draw for me too. :D that's the one I have.

I took off the clip-on diffuser (requires lots of force), but that's pretty handy to have. And the red and green diffusers are good for some fun.

I will say though, this light is a bit fat and heavy compared to a Zebralight.
And don't assume that it's waterproof!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 12:27:05 AM
So I have been carrying one of those Jetbeams on the opposite side from the ZL for maybe 3 years now and it has been an amazing light especially considering the price!
It also works with 14500 cells as does the SC52 and though I rarely really need to extra output it can be handy when I do!
The AT do also!

The Manker is truly a cool little light and the choice of 22 levels for the Moonlight is a pretty amazing feature all by itself for sure but then the light just keeps it up with even more great and uncommon features and mine has been pretty rugged so far too.
I liked it so much that I ordered the AAA version as well and both of mine are the 219b,it is a great little light.

I know that I have read many times about the ZL flat rate repair and it may take a while but it seems a sure thing and no brainer for sure.

Another light that I recently added and is really interesting is the Rofis R3 which easily changes from a standard light to a right angle light at any time.
These come with a 14500 battery and are easily charged inside the light with an included magnetic charging cable and mine is Warm Tinted and comes with a HeadBand too!
I saw these on Prime Days too so if you hurry.......

Sorry can't locate the Manker right now? :dunno:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 12:32:21 AM by ezdog »

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 12:34:07 AM
I don’t use anything other than eneloops or energizer lithium, so lack of 14500 support isn’t a deal breaker.

The slight size increase of the manker doesn’t bother me, though if it isn’t water resistant, that would be an issue. I don’t swim with a light or anything, but they do get rained on, held in my mouth, etc.

I think the rotating head of the rofis would be too fiddly for me, but it’s a cool concept.

So, right now I’m liking different things about both the jetbeam and manker, so they’re both in the running.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 12:38:48 AM
So I have been carrying one of those Jetbeams on the opposite side from the ZL for maybe 3 years now and it has been an amazing light especially considering the price!
It also works with 14500 cells as does the SC52 and though I rarely really need to extra output it can be handy when I do!
The AT do also!

The Manker is truly a cool little light and the choice of 22 levels for the Moonlight is a pretty amazing feature all by itself for sure but then the light just keeps it up with even more great and uncommon features and mine has been pretty rugged so far too.
I liked it so much that I ordered the AAA version as well and both of mine are the 219b,it is a great little light.

I know that I have read many times about the ZL flat rate repair and it may take a while but it seems a sure thing and no brainer for sure.

Another light that I recently added and is really interesting is the Rofis R3 which easily changes from a standard light to a right angle light at any time.
These come with a 14500 battery and are easily charged inside the light with an included magnetic charging cable and mine is Warm Tinted and comes with a HeadBand too!
I saw these on Prime Days too so if you hurry.......

Sorry can't locate the Manker right now? :dunno:

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
Is the Rofis as slim as it looks in the pic? Looks like a deep carry in 90° mode.  I can think of numerous times I could use a right angle light. I also like a warm tint.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 17, 2019, 12:46:50 AM
Sorry Gus. Not trying to take over the thread. Just curious. It looks like an interesting light.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 12:53:11 AM
Sorry Gus. Not trying to take over the thread. Just curious. It looks like an interesting light.

No worries!  :cheers:

I’m interested in learning about it too.

Besides, this is MTO. This doesn’t even qualify as a derailment  :whistle:

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 17, 2019, 12:55:19 AM
True, but the price I found just derailed it for me.  :(

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #26 on: July 17, 2019, 01:12:01 AM
True, but the price I found just derailed it for me.  :(

Uh oh. A price too good to pass up, or too high to pay?

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 17, 2019, 01:14:34 AM
Uh oh. A price too good to pass up, or too high to pay?
High in my opinion, but ezdog might be able to put my mind at ease about it. I’d love a 90° light, but seems steep in $ to me.

Edit: Should have included the lowest price I found. Around $55.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 01:30:23 AM by Roc »

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 17, 2019, 01:35:41 AM
High in my opinion, but ezdog might be able to put my mind at ease about it. I’d love a 90° light, but seems steep in $ to me.

OK first of all I got the model wrong,mine is the R2 which is the AA version and they are $36 Today still on Prime Day.

The light is not really fiddly at all although I am not too sure what that even means either?
The swivel head is really tight and smooth and not at all jiggly or loose feeling which I was a little worried about too.
Also while I don't usually prefer lights with in built charging this one seems to work well and faster than others that I have tried.

Today I was on a service call involving a Rack inside a dark closet.
I normally would go out and get a big Milwaukee Drill Battery powered light with a magnet but it was POURING out so bad that I just didnt want to!
So I stuck the Rofis on the metal door frame and could actually swivel the head to exactly where I needed light which is not possible with a regular RA light usually.

Yes the R2 is really slim almost as slim as the Jetbeam and certainly more slim than the ZL and the honking huge AT which I also really am liking!

I love my R2 and will probably order one with a bigger battery soon but I am not sure if it will be 18650 as I have planned or 21700 which I see they now offer too!?!

YMMV obviously.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 01:45:09 AM by ezdog »

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: July 17, 2019, 01:42:04 AM
The Fenix E12 (8/50/130 lumens) is a good rugged light under $30.
- Steve

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD