Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

AA light recommendation, preferably budget $

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: AA light recommendation, preferably budget $
Reply #30 on: July 17, 2019, 01:55:28 AM
OK first of all I got the model wrong,mine is the R2 which is the AA version and they are $36 Today still on Prime Day.

The light is not really fiddly at all although I am not too sure what that even means either?
The swivel head is really tight and smooth and not at all jiggly or loose feeling which I was a little worried about too.
Also while I don't usually prefer lights with in built charging this one seems to work well and faster than others that I have tried.

Today I was on a service call involving a Rack inside a dark closet.
I normally would go out and get a big Milwaukee Drill Battery powered light with a magnet but it was POURING out so bad that I just didnt want to!
So I stuck the Rofis on the metal door frame and could actually swivel the head to exactly where I needed light which is not possible with a regular RA light usually.

Yes the R2 is really slim almost as slim as the Jetbeam and certainly more slim than the ZL and the honking huge AT which I also really am liking!

I love my R2 and will probably order one with a bigger battery soon but I am not sure if it will be 18650 as I have planned or 21700 which I see they now offer too!?!

YMMV obviously.

Thanks for the additional input.

When I said fiddly, I was really thinking about what you described: whether the head would be loose or jiggly. Thanks for clarifying. Maybe it’ll make it back on the list!
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #31 on: July 17, 2019, 01:56:36 AM
The Fenix E12 (8/50/130 lumens) is a good rugged light under $30.

I was interested in this initially, mainly because I’ve had such good luck with my fenix aaa. I kind of ruled it out due to the optic and somewhat diffuse beam pattern.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: July 17, 2019, 02:01:11 AM
Thanks for the additional input.

When I said fiddly, I was really thinking about what you described: whether the head would be loose or jiggly. Thanks for clarifying. Maybe it’ll make it back on the list!

Yeah I would have returned it for sure if it had not been so well done.

The funny thing about this light is that it is really one of the only true "Convertible" HL to regular handheld lights on the market and it is really well done and thus not a real bad deal as the functionality is so high at least for me.

The Maker is really a lot like that kind of value to me too,it is a really sweet little light and the Jetbeam is just a no brainer especially of you can find one on sale,I think I paid $13 for mine and I got several and gave them away and all are still working!
The Jetbeam is a Cool White which I normally can not stand too but it is more bright white than angry blue too and a keeper because if it!

Life is too short for Angry Blue!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #33 on: July 17, 2019, 02:49:48 AM

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #35 on: July 17, 2019, 02:56:59 AM
You gonna go for it?

Probably not, at least not yet. I want to see what zebralight says before I buy a new light.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: July 17, 2019, 02:59:27 AM
Probably not, at least not yet. I want to see what zebralight says before I buy a new light.

Good call. I’m hoping Zebralight stands behind their lights. Would make buying them worth every penny.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #37 on: July 17, 2019, 04:14:15 AM
Just got a reply from zebralight:

“We charge a flat $15 for out of warranty repairs. We'll issue an RMA if you'd like to proceed.”

:woohoo:

So, I’m going to get it repaired. I can’t think of anything else new that comes close for $15

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 17, 2019, 12:59:19 PM
Just got a reply from zebralight:

“We charge a flat $15 for out of warranty repairs. We'll issue an RMA if you'd like to proceed.”

:woohoo:

So, I’m going to get it repaired. I can’t think of anything else new that comes close for $15

Id say thats an understatement! :like: :tu:

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: July 17, 2019, 01:57:40 PM
That’s awesome!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: July 17, 2019, 04:26:50 PM
Great news from ZL.   :woohoo:

@ezdog, great patina on your ZL  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #41 on: July 17, 2019, 04:47:24 PM
Nice!
That makes me want to have a Zebralight too!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
AA light recommendation, preferably budget $
Reply #42 on: July 17, 2019, 07:35:13 PM
Great news that Zebralight is going to repair it for $15.

If you decide to also look for a new light, my highest recommended AA flashlights are the Fenix LD12 and the EagleTac D25A.  Both these lights have proved reliable for me. 

The LD12 was put through the ringer for Navy shipboard use and survived.  It has now been passed on to my niece who needed a reliable camping flashlight.

The D25A has not endured as much abuse, only because I didn’t discover it until later.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #43 on: July 18, 2019, 01:38:03 AM
I just noticed this thread, but I had got the Lumintop tool 2.0 for $12 with tax, it came yesterday and is a great light, I have the first version, and this is a great improvement over it. Even with NIMH it has a great output, they got rid of annoying PWM, better tail cap, is slightly shorter then version 1 and clip seems a little stouter, perfect beam and anodizing, a real bargain at $12 so if you need a back up and see it on sale definitely pick one up.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: July 18, 2019, 02:54:38 PM
 :iagree:

I picked on up a while ago and its been a good light.  Needed a beater for around the house that I could leave on the coffee table or garage. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #45 on: September 07, 2019, 06:06:32 PM
Wanted to provide an update. I just got the zebralight back yesterday. It’s working again!  :woohoo:

I believe I sent it in around July 17th, so a little over 7 weeks turn around time. It was hard to wait that long, but I knew it would be about that long going in.

So far, the light seems to work fine. I’m not 100% sure if they repaired my light or replaced it. The one I got back has some rash marks in the aluminum ridge around the switch, and a little ding in the edge near the emitter end. Those weren’t there when I sent it in, so it could be a rough repair process, or they just send out a refurbished light that may not be 100% cosmetically speaking. For $15, I can’t complain as I still don’t think there’s a new light with similar features available for that price.

So, while I’d prefer one in the same condition I sent it in, overall I’m pleased.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: September 07, 2019, 08:04:12 PM
That’s great news! Thanks for the update. I’d prefer to get my own light back, but for $15 I wouldn’t complain.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: September 09, 2019, 02:47:26 PM
That’s great news! Thanks for the update. I’d prefer to get my own light back, but for $15 I wouldn’t complain.

:iagree:  A working light is better than a non working one even if the condition is less than.  I do have to say I appreciate when Vic warranties their tools, they send the broken tool back.  Its seems like a small thing but I very much appreciate it. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD