Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old Wave, New Wave, Rebar- mod possibilities?

us Offline JasonJ

Old Wave, New Wave, Rebar- mod possibilities?
on: July 17, 2019, 06:15:43 PM
I have a brand new Rebar, which is great, although with probably more flat drivers than I need.  Afterwards, I find out how annoying it is to either A. Need to open the tool to access regular knife blade, or B. Have to carry a dedicated folder for quicker knife access.

Enter the original Wave.  OK, cool.. I see how this OHO, outside accessible blade thing is so much better.  Love that!  Also love that both OG Wave and Rebar have long shank, 3D phillips (Rebar being beefier). awl on Rebar is great, but scissors on OG Wave are handy too (eliminates need to have SAK Classic or LM Micra in tow...). 

Got a good deal on a used LM "New" Wave in BO.  All locking tools, even better (even if kinda not necessary), exchangeable bit driver, sweet!  Smaller scissors, eh.. ok.  Micro driver- hard pass. 

Maybe I can combine some tools from one or the other, or the other, and make one ideal Wave, and two other, varying purpose LM's.  What I figured out after mapping out my tool needs/wants is basically a Wave sized Surge, but without can/bottle opener, with a long shank phillips added somewhere. 

So what's doable?  I'd like to remove the Wave woodsaw and in it's place put either the Wingman scissors, or if need be, buy standalone Surge scissors.  Have a large flat driver/light pry bar, long shank phillips (from either orig. Wave or Rebar), the exchangeable bit driver, maybe a smaller flat driver (but not the micro-reversable eyeglass sized one!), and the awl from the Rebar, and perhaps, but not essentially, the Rebar plier head with repl. cutters- maybe, not super critical on that one.

Any ideas?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Old Wave, New Wave, Rebar- mod possibilities?
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 11:54:53 PM
I would probably leave the og wave as is and make something up with the rebar and wave parts.

3d philips and large bit driver are fat, all the other tools are thin.
You have to pick 2 fat and 2 thin or 1 fat and 4 thin.
Depending on the tool and plier head combination, sometimes you'll get a handle gap when closed with the wave.
There are ways of fixing that though.
Wingman scissors can replace the wood saw, pivot will need enlarging.
They don't work super well but there is a modification for that too.

us Offline JasonJ

Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 02:48:12 AM
That's interesting and helpful to know, thanks!

Maybe once the new BO wave gets here and I have a chance to use it for a few weeks in real life, I'll find that it's just fine as is...perhaps not.

I do know the tiny driver bit won't be useful to me. So we'll  see. It just seemed to me with the three, something more useful and practical could be made from them.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 02:51:03 AM
There are many many options. The biggest thing to decide is if you want the bit exchanger or the longer Philips, that's going to determine a lot about what u can do next. The 3 tools that easily fit with the exchanger are the bottle opener, small flat from rebar, and the micro bit exchanger. Ive also seen some ppl fit in the awl but it's very snug. On the other side ...well it depends on what you want to include. I personally find bottle/can openers to be worthless on a tool with pliers, but that is just me.
https://pin.it/aciha66d6tco5f

That will take you to my pinterest where you can find a ton of mods. Most of which have various threads here on MT.org that they redirect back to. Cheers!

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 03:05:40 AM
For me, the new wave is perfect. I have a few multitools but when it comes down to it the wave is the one I would not be with out.
If I was a rich man the tti would take its place, but I’m not and I know I would baby it because I would not beat up on a £220 tool like I do my wave.

Give the new wave a go and see how you get on.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline JasonJ

Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 03:43:45 PM
There are many many options. The biggest thing to decide is if you want the bit exchanger or the longer Philips, that's going to determine a lot about what u can do next. The 3 tools that easily fit with the exchanger are the bottle opener, small flat from rebar, and the micro bit exchanger. Ive also seen some ppl fit in the awl but it's very snug. On the other side ...well it depends on what you want to include. I personally find bottle/can openers to be worthless on a tool with pliers, but that is just me.
https://pin.it/aciha66d6tco5f

That will take you to my pinterest where you can find a ton of mods. Most of which have various threads here on MT.org that they redirect back to. Cheers!

Great help, thanks!  I do think that the bit exchanger is really only useful and has purpose if one also carries the bit card/extender, or at least some additional bits.  Without those, I'd much rather have a single dedicated phillips/flat driver. Some really interesting work on your Pinterest page... nice!

For me, the new wave is perfect. I have a few multitools but when it comes down to it the wave is the one I would not be with out.
If I was a rich man the tti would take its place, but I’m not and I know I would baby it because I would not beat up on a £220 tool like I do my wave.

Give the new wave a go and see how you get on.

For sure, Wave is great, perfect for some, almost for others.  It's so subjective like many things in life.  I was surprised at how thick the original wave is/was.  Especially as I was used to the Sidekick/Wingman, my dad's old PST, and my new Rebar.  It'll be interesting to see how I get along with the new Wave.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 01:32:50 AM
I love the wave platform, but if you are not carrying the bit kit... Well this is what my wave looks like:

us Offline JasonJ

Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 04:57:17 AM
I love the wave platform, but if you are not carrying the bit kit... Well this is what my wave looks like:

Love that one!  For me, id be inclined to fit outside scissors in place of the wood saw, but otherwise for a no but kit wave, that's a perfect tool load out.

And yes....I am finding that I too love the Wave platform, but on the new wave/wave+, not having a bit kit and bit extender really handicaps the driver capabilities of the tool.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%