Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Windeler modular Multitool

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Windeler modular Multitool
on: June 10, 2020, 06:15:26 PM
Been chatting with windeler for a few months...their Kickstarter is finally here!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/windeler/windeler-a-new-genre-of-multitool

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Windeler modular Multitool
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 02:23:03 AM
I'm not sure what to think about this one? :think: It is a new concept, I'm curious, and I'd like to have one just for having one. I do wish the tools were hardened steel instead of titanium though. (Although I can see all those magnets getting stuck in all the wrong places with steel...)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 05:10:04 AM
 :iagree: Not really sure either  :think: New concept has certainly some advantages, but also some disadvantages. I don’t like that I have to take it apart every time I want to use a tool. That just calls for lost parts and seems tedious after a while.

If you want all features that are on modern MT’s you will end up with a bulky tool. Tool choices are limited so far and there is a lot of wasted space. For example prybar and bottle opener. That’s all those two are good for. If I see that right the bottle opener doesn’t even have a Phillips head. Why?  Certainly not densely packed with functions.

I like the fact that it is modular and easy to clean though.

Are you gonna get one, HG?   :popcorn:

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 07:17:35 AM
:iagree: Not really sure either  :think: New concept has certainly some advantages, but also some disadvantages. I don’t like that I have to take it apart every time I want to use a tool. That just calls for lost parts and seems tedious after a while.

If you want all features that are on modern MT’s you will end up with a bulky tool. Tool choices are limited so far and there is a lot of wasted space. For example prybar and bottle opener. That’s all those two are good for. If I see that right the bottle opener doesn’t even have a Phillips head. Why?  Certainly not densely packed with functions.

I like the fact that it is modular and easy to clean though.

Are you gonna get one, HG?   :popcorn:

yep,
and you dont have to take them apart for access, they fan out.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 11:52:58 AM
Hmmm...

Looks a lot like the Quirky Switch, which I dug out this fine morning for these photos.  :think:

Furthermore, not sure how they can say this is a new genre of multi-tool...it appears so much like a magnetic Quirky Switch with some different modules...

IMG_8574A by Chako, on Flickr

IMG_8575A by Chako, on Flickr

IMG_8576A by Chako, on Flickr

Not too keen on the magnetic version of the above tool to be honest. The big issue with the Switch is that it was too fiddly for EDC. I didn't want to customize everything on the go every time I went out. Besides, although 3 sizes were given, you could only have the one tool as there was only one end coupling included. I always thought they should have included 2 so that you could have a dual carry. I see the same issues with this as with the Switch, except now you have added the annoyance of magnets. Is there a sheath included? I can imagine this would get stuck to everything in your pocket provided it is of a magnetized metal.

Once you get it, please let us know what you think of it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 12:21:43 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 12:42:35 PM
That is close. Nice box by the way!

Reading the Kickstarter I get the where the choice of titanium comes from: "We commit to using the most exotic and high-tech materials and processes."

I find that somewhat backwards? I might be boring, but I like the concept of using the materials best suited to the task. If that turns out to be something exotic and high tech then so be it. However, I don't think using exotic and expensive materials should be a goal in itself? (Of course the task at hand can be Kickstarter marketing, and for that anything titanium seems to do great! I do get that.)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 03:13:40 PM
yep,
and you dont have to take them apart for access, they fan out.

I saw that but was under the impression that you had to remove the tool you wanted to use. That the magnetic lock is not strong enough to hold it together during use  :dunno:

Looking forward to your thoughts once you get it!

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 05:44:13 PM
That is close. Nice box by the way!

Reading the Kickstarter I get the where the choice of titanium comes from: "We commit to using the most exotic and high-tech materials and processes."

I find that somewhat backwards? I might be boring, but I like the concept of using the materials best suited to the task. If that turns out to be something exotic and high tech then so be it. However, I don't think using exotic and expensive materials should be a goal in itself? (Of course the task at hand can be Kickstarter marketing, and for that anything titanium seems to do great! I do get that.)

From chatting with him, may not have been the most accurate statement. He is a major lover of water sports, so the toolset was designed to stand up to issues that come from being in contact with water.

I saw that but was under the impression that you had to remove the tool you wanted to use. That the magnetic lock is not strong enough to hold it together during use  :dunno:

Looking forward to your thoughts once you get it!

He didn't state this but the magnets are cased in metal to keep them from shattering. You can use the center hold to bolt them together if you want to use them while stacked. I actually know for a fact that these fit the keybar, so I would use that or something similar as a platform.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 10:13:50 AM
First off... don't like the knife, somehow does not look like the blade is secured well when closed (might just be me)

I think this is more instead of a bike tool than a SAK or MT. Hence the chain splitter and spoke tool. I like the idea that you get a bike tool with only the hex-screwdrivers you need (usually you get several hex-screwdriver, yet you might only need one or two). So, if you don't look at it as an MT but a bike tool it seems like a good idea. It is also cool, because you can easily take the 2, 3 tools that are missing on your MT and supplement them. That said, the picture by HG shows tire-levers which seem not to be on kickstarter. IMO a huge oversight.
And of course they extend it to other sports (surfing is mentioned, though I cannot comment on the tool-selection for that).

Me, I like the idea, but I think their approach is off. Instead of a blade, they should have focused on specialized tools.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 08:22:02 AM
First off... don't like the knife, somehow does not look like the blade is secured well when closed (might just be me)

I think this is more instead of a bike tool than a SAK or MT. Hence the chain splitter and spoke tool. I like the idea that you get a bike tool with only the hex-screwdrivers you need (usually you get several hex-screwdriver, yet you might only need one or two). So, if you don't look at it as an MT but a bike tool it seems like a good idea. It is also cool, because you can easily take the 2, 3 tools that are missing on your MT and supplement them. That said, the picture by HG shows tire-levers which seem not to be on kickstarter. IMO a huge oversight.
And of course they extend it to other sports (surfing is mentioned, though I cannot comment on the tool-selection for that).

Me, I like the idea, but I think their approach is off. Instead of a blade, they should have focused on specialized tools.

In order to afford the tooling for many of the implements they needed to reach certain goals. The knife is easily the #1 reason he is selling atm. And his goal is to eventually make a knife in something like LC200N which would make the knife usable in any marine environment. the blade is also literally the perfect size to be used inside a keybar. If your asking for this to replace a main carry folder, thats not really a fair ask. Its a knife for utility purposes. How to combines with many other things, both in his ecosystem and beyond is what interests me. The other specialized bike tools will likely be added as part of backer kit. Someone asked about them as well and he said they may be available later.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 11:04:44 PM
As someone who is often working in the garage, this has no interest for me. Welding, milling, turning, grinding, drilling, this all makes metal chips and dust. With rare exception, I do everything I can to get rid of magnetic tools of any sort in my shop, as they're impossible to completely clean. I would never use a tool that is actively magnetic, it won't last five seconds before it's coated in potential metal splinters.

Charles.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 04:23:27 AM
As someone who is often working in the garage, this has no interest for me. Welding, milling, turning, grinding, drilling, this all makes metal chips and dust. With rare exception, I do everything I can to get rid of magnetic tools of any sort in my shop, as they're impossible to completely clean. I would never use a tool that is actively magnetic, it won't last five seconds before it's coated in potential metal splinters.

Charles.

I have glasses that (something I really didn't pay attention to back then) use magnets in the frames to secure a pair of included sunglasses to the frames over the regular lenses (which have, almost, never been used). The problem (which was quite boneheaded) was that they put the magnets in the frames, not the sunglasses. When doing metalwork, they fill up with shavings quite quickly, and it's a pain in the backside to remove them. It appears that the magnets are also impossible to remove (which, I think, is a legal requirement). But, they were sold as indestructible, and so far, that's rung true. 6 years and no broken hinges, unlike the previous 4 pair in 3 years.  Eh, anyway, they're worn out and my lenses are in rough shape, so time for a new pair.  Thinking I'll go with something in the safety category. Tough, and more protective.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 04:26:56 AM
My opinion--safety first. Which means a partially exposed knife blade is a total no-go.  Personally, the design is form over function. Looks bulky to use, and steel is a better choice than titanium.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 01:02:40 AM
+1 with Chako.  This looks like a magnetic quirky switch. Maybe a Quirky Switch Free?  :rofl: :facepalm:
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 05:51:44 PM
Also, thanks to you Chako I just bought the quirky switch.

Charles.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 09:37:49 PM
Also, thanks to you Chako I just bought the quirky switch.

Chako has had that sort of effect on lots of people - he is one of the more effective (but subtle) enablers here  :tu: :salute: :hatsoff:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 09:44:21 PM
What's the difference between the switch and the V2 switch? Is it a reduced toolset and simpler scales? Or is there more?

Charles.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: June 20, 2020, 12:54:39 AM
That is my take on it as well ChopperCharles.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 22, 2020, 05:47:40 AM
Tool density and multi functionality have been mentioned. Why not have more nut/bolt head sizes in the bottle opener? It looks like there may be a small SD tip on the bottle opener now, possibly a 2D #2 Phillips. Why not have a bottle opener in the knife handle?

On first look, the dimple in the lock of the knife I thought was a magnifying lens. How cool would it be if it had been?

Why not have a magnet in the other end of the knife handle to allow having tools opposite ends at the same time and making the tool slimmer for a tiny bit more weight?

Some interesting ideas, not something I'd be likely to buy, though

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 22, 2020, 08:25:55 PM
So yeah, thanks to this thread I bought a Quirky Switch.

So.... maybe I should say "no-thanks" to this thread. The Switch is a great idea with poor execution and quality control, and the tool is best left on eBay to languish forever. Even at $10 it's not worth buying. Even at $5.   Is there a thread on it somewhere already? So I can give warning? :)

Charles.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: June 22, 2020, 09:45:26 PM
Yeah. I winced when you said you bought one.

Here is my original take on it back in 2011.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,28349.msg492505.html#msg492505

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 22, 2020, 10:13:20 PM
I added my thoughts to that thread.

Charles.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #23 on: June 23, 2020, 01:53:28 AM
I bought one of the original big sets cheap.  As a collector item it checks all the boxes. Unusual, configurable, and somewhat rare.  spyderco/byrd get it right.  Quirky Switch, not so much.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: June 23, 2020, 04:20:09 AM
I completely agree. As a collector item, not so bad. As a user, :facepalm:.

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 23, 2020, 10:03:09 PM
I completely agree. As a collector item, not so bad. As a user, :facepalm:.

I am getting the EDC stack so I'll post about my thoughts when I get it later this year. Cheers.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%