Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are you a hoarder or a user

chip · 52 · 1132

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Are you a hoarder or a user
on: July 22, 2019, 07:16:14 AM
What percentage of your multitools do you actually use?

I could not tell you how many MTs I’ve got, I’m guessing more than 50 (that’s after selling quite a few when I was out of work) but use very few.

I have multiples of many tools because I buy one for the collection and one to use but can never bring my self to use them.

The ones I do use are, a wave, gerber diesel, skeletool,a shrade visegrip and a cs4 that’s it off the top of my head. But the ones I do use get used a lot.

And I kind of wonder what’s the point of owning the ones I don’t use as they live in a secure gun cupboard around my mums house and I had not even looked at them in over 3 years.

I do wonder what’s the point in collecting anything really, do stamp collectors regularly paw over their collection or is it all about the next purchase which then gets put in the album and forgotten about as they move on to the next.

So are you a hoarder or a user?

(I even bought some white cotton gloves the sort coin Collectors use off eBay last week as I thought I should really go through and catalogue what I have
As I genuinely shocked myself last week when I looked in the cupboard for the first time in years. Which makes me think is collecting in general a form of OCD)

Also I had not bought a multitool in a few years up until a couple of weeks ago, but in the last two weeks I have bought a surge, wave +, two spirits and an original wave. So I am thinking maybe  I am a recovering multitoolaholic who has had a relapse. :facepalm:

My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Re: Are you a hoarder or a user
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 07:44:31 AM
9 I buy one for the collection and one to use but can never bring my self to use them.
:facepalm:

Well, ya just gotta have a spare...

AND a back up to the spare, and a spare backup...

"Hi, my name is John... I'm a knifeaholic and I may have a problem."
Home is where the hoard is quote.jpg
* Home is where the hoard is quote.jpg (Filesize: 167.7 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 08:09:09 AM
big difference between a hoarder and a collector. If you've ever been inside a hoarders house or seen the show about them you know what I'm talking about, crap from the floor to the ceiling covering every square inch of the home.

I'm guessing your using the word a bit differently tho  :rofl:

nz Offline Pauldmmwc

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 08:30:38 AM
Hiya
I also think I have an addiction problem but only to Leathermans. I am a bit scared to get too close to other manufactures as that may start a whole new mess.
I have some shelf queens and then some double ups which I do try and rotate every few days.I think some of the shelf queens are worth keeping tidy if there ever to be a sale of goodies.
In the man cave there is a glass trophy cabinet that has a few shelves and this is where the collection is kept.  Easy to see the tools and enjoy them that way.
Magnets also used to hold them to the sides of the cabinet so they are less cluttered lying down.
There is a pic of one shelf below.

no small kids in the house so they are  not potentially harmful. to little fingers.
 :cheers:
shelf 1.jpg
* shelf 1.jpg (Filesize: 182.89 KB)
Semper Sitienti !!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 09:15:56 AM
Let us go right to the crux of the matter. If buying tools give you remorse/pain/unhappiness...then it is time to stop. Most collectors do enjoy the chase and also enjoy looking and or using them...but collecting is a highly personal endeavour. Folks do things that give them happiness most of the time. Take me for example. I have all sorts of collections...I like the chase, I like the organizing, and I like to look at them when I feel like it. I like to use my collections as house decorations myself. With all that said...I would stop in a heart beat if I ever had any negative feelings from a purchase.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:37:53 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 11:10:09 AM
 :iagree: :iagree:
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 12:21:17 PM
This is a purely personal perspective, but simply owning something doesn't add any value to my life. Collecting (anything) as a hobby, leaves me cold.

I did fall down the rabbit hole of wanting lots of different things, but it was predominantly for trying them out, to see which I found best aligned with my needs, or which I enjoyed using most. Sadly I bought at a much faster rate than I disposed at, and ended up swamped in stuff.

Over the last few years, I've been offloading a lot of it, keeping just what was the best for me. Despite now probably owning 1/4 or less of what I bought over the years, I do still feel somewhat overrun, but what's left is more difficult to part with, as I know they're great tools for me, even though I might not use them often.

In truth, I could probably offload 80% of what's still left, and get by quite comfortably, but I don't have to. I have the scope to pick and choose what I want to carry that day/week (I tend to stick with one set up for a while), and should anything get lost, broken, or stolen, I have something that can take its place, even if it's not like-for-like.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 12:28:46 PM
I too would be first to admit my hoarding problem...the way I see it:

If you are not using every tool you've owned, you are hoarding.

If you are 'accumulating', that's just hoarding in another name.

If you are 'collecting', still hoarding, but focused.

If you want to justify your next buy with this group, brother, congratulation you've just mistaken the bar for the AA meeting. >:D

no Online Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 12:46:37 PM
I think it was Comis who used the term "accumlator". In general think that might fit me better than either hoarder or collector. All my tools were bought at some point with a purpose of specific use in mind, and even if that use has ceased to exist I tend to just keep them, Thus over time it accumulates, but I don't get stuff just to get stuff nor do I collect them as such.

As for use I make it a point to use all the tools just for the experience, and having them around is also good reference - but that is kind of specific to what I do.

From a higher perspective I don't consider people's purchases along the actually useful or not axis. I just figure that if someone bought something it is because they find value in doing so - whether it is for use, for collecting or just shopping therapy there and then. That value might be short lived though. 

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

no Online Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 12:49:31 PM
I too would be first to admit my hoarding problem...the way I see it:

If you are not using every tool you've owned, you are hoarding.

If you are 'accumulating', that's just hoarding in another name.

If you are 'collecting', still hoarding, but focused.

If you want to justify your next buy with this group, brother, congratulation you've just mistaken the bar for the AA meeting. >:D

Ha - I just used your accumulator in another post as an alternative to hoarding and here you are saying they are the same. :D Bad timing of me!  :facepalm:

I do think there is a difference though - hoarders tend to buy stuff whether there is a need or not. And I think there is a difference between hoarding and collecting in that collectors take great care of their collection and tend to buy (and sell!) with a plan.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 12:53:54 PM
Well I can stop anytime. :climber:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 01:01:32 PM
But really I only buy new ones to see if they work better for me on an EDC basis or if I see a need/use for one for some specific use.

When I determine that I might have a keeper then I try to EDC it and see how it goes and this might take a long time to decide and I like to go back to previous keepers and see how I feel about them after a while too.

So I plan on using them all really but can only carry one at a time in general and I do not mess with selling the old ones either for time reasons mainly.

Its funny that someone mentioned that you should use them all the time or its collecting?

I use tools for a living every single day and have many more than I need all the time. This sure has no bearing on me needing to keep the tool though as there are plenty of tools that I need but only once in a while.
So sure I do collect the tools I need for my stock of working tools and I hardly consider this to be anything but being prepared for the work that I do.

I guess I don't collect for any other reason really or at least it never occured to me to do so?

Same with Knives and Lights as these are all just tools to me as well.

nl Offline nitram

Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 01:11:45 PM
Do you remember the days when you only had a SAK or a Leatherman and got most things done with that? The days when you carried just that tool and knew it inside out because that's all you had? I got to thinking about that feeling a lot and came to the conclusion to start letting go of my collection. As it turned out it wasn't the owning of three or four immaculate Sideclips that gave me pleasure, it was the usage of the one I bought new a long time ago and put my own battle scars on.

I decided to be a user with a fairly large pool of tools and not a collector. So out the door went all the Mini's, colored Alox and all the other pretty things that just sat in drawers, unused. They were nice to chase down, nice to look at and play with for a while but the ownership by itself did very little for me. I can really enjoy looking at some of the great collections on display on MTO and I do understand that it gives many of you a lot of satisfaction, it's just not for me (anymore).

Having said that, there are still round 50-60 multitools left, but most of those get used. Over the next year or so that number will probably be even lower and I will be left with just my user pool. The perfect tool might be out there but it must be very elusive if it exists. Most of the time I will just pick a tool that is optimal for my planned activities or something I just really enjoy carrying and using.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 01:28:36 PM
From my perspective it's more the technical aspects that attract me to multitools in general. How to put the most usefulness into the smallest possible space in an elegant way. This has also led to my penchant for modding - making tools more useful than they were as stock. This also explains why I don't count myself a collector or hoarder. I have one or two tools I rarely use, but most are ready for immediate use, possibly in a sheath with some extras.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 01:33:11 PM
I carry and use all of my multi tools and most of my knives.  :tu:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 02:07:31 PM
I think I consider myself a hoarder. User, yes but not all are bought with the intention of using them. Sometimes I buy multiple pieces for various reasons.. Sometimes them are cheap, rarer or I simply dig them for some reason. If someone can afford to pamper himself after taking care of the more important things in life, I dun see why not. Money made are to be spend. Whatever amt that was spend then truly belongs to you. Hoarder, proud to be one in this instances.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 02:39:50 PM
Hoarder = mental illness.

They buy with no reason and do not take care of what they buy. Furthermore...their buying has a negative impact on their standard of living.

Collector = someone who buys with a plan in mind.

Collectors tend to take care of their stuff and quite often displays their stuff. They tend to derive pleasure in the aquiring, history, and displaying of their collection. There is also an investment aspect in their collection.

I am not saying that all collectors do not suffer from mental illness...however the main difference is the archiving and maintenance.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 02:55:49 PM
Still think I am a hoarder. A hoarder with a little more directional sense. Mental illness, maybe a little...  :climber:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 03:11:49 PM
In America, the word "hoarder", these days, has offensive connotations to it. Hoarders don't appreciate the crap they mindlessly pile up in their homes. Collectors are particular about the value of their acquisitions and what they have.

Hoarders have garbage and smurf piled up in their house, so MT collectors aren't hoarders. We collectors take our trash out and clean our homes.

Collectors and hoarders are not the same thing.
Case in point: Most hoarders would say they only keep what they use. Most collectors would say they don't use most of what they keep.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: July 22, 2019, 03:18:18 PM
I tend to agree with GLBM on the naming here

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: July 22, 2019, 03:35:13 PM
User turned seeker turned collector revisited user turned hunter turned opportunist turned admirer turned accumulator turned user again.

I am a user who went looking for information.  I discovered MTo and became enamored with all the variety of tools.  I began to collect albeit focused at first.  I then began to see MTs at the fleamarket so I stopped online purchases and began only buying when I came upon a MT I liked.  This helped me to admire them more as I was not buying many since I didn't come upon then as often as online auction sites.  My MT hoard grew but I sold off quite a bit and gave away quite a lot too.  When I looked at what I had amassed recently after selling, trading, and giving away many, I was very happy with what was left over.  I still am.   

When this or any hobby is no longer fun its time to stop.  Using, admiring, hunting, organizing, etc are all part of many hobbies.  Its the care and custody of our stuff that sometimes weighs people down.  For others its the realization of money spent.  Do what brings you joy.  We acquire objects in our journey, some become keepsakes while others we keep for the sake of it.  The time spent is whats important.  If that time was fulfilling then I say wonderful.               

Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: July 22, 2019, 04:05:00 PM
Just in case what I wrote isn't descriptive enough, here is an example.

My collection desk.

Some hoarder's desk.
abb5f48ad6546c5d12b93262b6eb6f34.jpg
* abb5f48ad6546c5d12b93262b6eb6f34.jpg (Filesize: 76.16 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: July 22, 2019, 04:23:56 PM
I like how the wallpaper of the desktop shows even more shizzle :rofl:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 22, 2019, 04:27:40 PM
Great replies, thank you.
With regard to the use of the word hoarder and some people taking offence, that was not my intention I did use it very much tongue in cheek so I am sorry if anyone else did feel offended . I equate a hoard as treasured belongings, and as a metal detectorist“finding a hoard”is the holy grail.

I just love multi tools, I don’t know why And I noticed there were two definite camps on this site, people who own many MTs and take pleasure swapping them in and out of there edc or people like me who Collect them and like most collectors condition is important so may shy away from using them because of this.

Hey there is no right or wrong it’s what everbrings you pleasure  :tu:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 04:34:39 PM by chip »
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 22, 2019, 04:31:47 PM
Double post

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: July 22, 2019, 04:52:18 PM
It is all good, Chip!  :cheers:

No offense was taken. I just mentioned that, because of how the word is used, particularly in the US(and pockets of many other countries), these days.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 22, 2019, 05:09:56 PM
It is all good, Chip!  :cheers:

No offense was taken. I just mentioned that, because of how the word is used, particularly in the US(and pockets of many other countries), these days.
:cheers: thanks

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #27 on: July 22, 2019, 06:06:43 PM
Another group that I belong to defines members as "users", "collectors" and a combination of the 2.

Been buying knives for over 50 years.
For half of that I just got whatever caught my eye, at the time.  When I started carving I began "collecting" I got more focused on traditional Whittler patterns.  In all that time I've never sold a knife... Given away plenty and traded some more.

The first half I was content to have 1 knife that I'd use until something else caught my eye.  It was when I started the collecting phase that I felt I needed to have extras of my knives.

I don't know,
Collected, accumulator even to hoarder (knives/tools only) it's something that you have to decide for yourself.

I often tell folks tht ask for my recommendations to get what you like and get the best that you can afford.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: July 22, 2019, 06:11:34 PM
No offence taken either.  :salute:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: July 22, 2019, 06:45:23 PM
Again I think there is a third group too unless I am just not understanding your breakdown which seems likely here?

There is the group I feel I am in that gets the MT for use as they were designed in the first place......to be able to carry a pocket of tools in a convenient package.

I neither Hoard nor Collect though I suppose one could argue both of these as well.

I simply buy to use them as tools and just like all of my other tools I might buy another to fill a niche whether real or perceived.

I look at my work tools more as a Set than a Collection and to some they may look like I am Hoarding. :drink:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%