Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

If only

chip · 18 · 1033

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
If only
on: July 23, 2019, 02:51:07 AM
If only the centre drive had a saw blade exchanger in place of the serrated blade and a pocket clip it would be my perfect work multitool.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: If only
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 03:10:18 AM
Why not? Gerber has made a staggering amount of MP600 variants. Yet, basically only a couple variants of  Center Drives; the standard and Plus. I like blade exchangers because you're not limited to just wood and softish metal (which is what a wood saw and file can cut), but basically anything suited to the jigsaw blade you've got fitted in it. I'm partial to the Remgrit type blades--they do great on hard stuff; and cut most metal quickly and easily.    I just wish Gerber would go to a T-Shank like Leatherman. U-Shanks are kinda outdated. I can find all kinds of variants of T-Shanks at local hardware stores, but not U-Shank.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 05:38:21 AM
Pocket clip is addable, exchanger moddable... But nothing can fix the wire cutters shattering, unless we can get a third party ..or I make them myself now that I think of it..  :think:

I bet u could mod a T-shank exchanger from the st300eod

How much bigger is the CD relative to the wave?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 08:08:39 AM

Edit.
Realized the photo perspective makes the tools look to long. :facepalm:

Wave is 4" long and CD is 4.75" long.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 08:13:41 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 12:52:57 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Edit.
Realized the photo perspective makes the tools look to long. :facepalm:

Wave is 4" long and CD is 4.75" long.

How's the usability of the weirdishly short handle of the scissor in the plus GLBM?  :D

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 02:17:51 PM
But nothing can fix the wire cutters shattering, unless we can get a third party ..or I make them myself now that I think of it..  :think:

Didn't Sam put third party cutters in his? :think:
From what I recall, he just bought them and added them, without having to modify them at all, although I think he sharpened them? :think:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 03:12:28 PM
Between the standard and plus I thought I would buy the plus for the scissors until I saw it had a combo blade, nnooooooo,
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 04:10:38 PM
You mean like this?

Charles.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 04:32:06 PM
Didn't Sam put third party cutters in his? :think:
From what I recall, he just bought them and added them, without having to modify them at all, although I think he sharpened them? :think:

Yeah. These are pretty heavy cutter with I dun know what steel. A wire of this gauge will shatter the standard carbide 100%. No problem with the m3 screw either though it took a few adjustments. Didn't even dent or ding the hard wire notch.
IMG_20190723_223019-912x684.jpg
* IMG_20190723_223019-912x684.jpg (Filesize: 190.14 KB)

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 04:35:01 PM
You mean like this?

Charles.

:drool: I want one

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 04:58:40 PM
Heh, I’d have to charge a ridiculous amount for one to make it worth my while. The titanium clip is $26, and the amount of labor is pretty intensive. A used pro scout goes for around $35, sometimes less, depending on condition.

If you want to DIY the clip you’ll need tungsten carbide drill bits, a drill press, a high quality Irwin tap (either 3mm or 4-40 depending on preference), and the screws heads will have to be turned on a lathe (or chucked into the drill press with a file held to them) until they fit through the slot in the clip. You can save that step if you don’t use a deep carry clip, but I prefer having the tool a little deeper in my pocket.

Also a dremel to cut the screws shorter and to ream out the holes in the clip itself.

if you’ve already got most of the tools it’s not that bad to do one for personal use. But the amount of time required makes it unprofitable to sell.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 05:03:21 PM
The cutters don’t bother me because they’ll shatter. I never cut hard wire, I don’t care about hard wire. I don’t like the cutters because they can’t cut thin gauge stranded wire. The tolerances are larger on the replaceable cutters than on the cast-and-machined cutters, and so they don’t do a good job on Motorcycle wiring harness wire, which is usually what I need wire cutters for.

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 05:04:25 PM
How's the usability of the weirdishly short handle of the scissor in the plus GLBM?  :D

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71930.msg1966579.html#msg1966579
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 05:14:45 PM
Heh, I’d have to charge a ridiculous amount for one to make it worth my while. The titanium clip is $26, and the amount of labor is pretty intensive. A used pro scout goes for around $35, sometimes less, depending on condition.

If you want to DIY the clip you’ll need tungsten carbide drill bits, a drill press, a high quality Irwin tap (either 3mm or 4-40 depending on preference), and the screws heads will have to be turned on a lathe (or chucked into the drill press with a file held to them) until they fit through the slot in the clip. You can save that step if you don’t use a deep carry clip, but I prefer having the tool a little deeper in my pocket.

Also a dremel to cut the screws shorter and to ream out the holes in the clip itself.

if you’ve already got most of the tools it’s not that bad to do one for personal use. But the amount of time required makes it unprofitable to sell.

Charles.
Great job and thanks for sharing :tu:
Looks like I will have to wait for gerber to bring out a
Factory version (I can dream).

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 05:20:39 PM
The cutters don’t bother me because they’ll shatter. I never cut hard wire, I don’t care about hard wire. I don’t like the cutters because they can’t cut thin gauge stranded wire. The tolerances are larger on the replaceable cutters than on the cast-and-machined cutters, and so they don’t do a good job on Motorcycle wiring harness wire, which is usually what I need wire cutters for.

Charles.

I can't speak for CD as I have not really put them to use.. The pliers are spring loaded so I guess that's why the pivot tolerance are higher. All my user MPs with replacable cutters cuts small gauge wires. With the 3rd party cutters, it's pretty much having the same advantage as the LMs pliers.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 05:23:52 PM
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71930.msg1966579.html#msg1966579

Hmm.. That's so expected but still sucks... That's quite a lazy change to call them a "plus" model..

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 05:44:06 PM
I can't speak for CD as I have not really put them to use.. The pliers are spring loaded so I guess that's why the pivot tolerance are higher. All my user MPs with replacable cutters cuts small gauge wires. With the 3rd party cutters, it's pretty much having the same advantage as the LMs pliers.

Not a one of my MP600s with replaceable cutters are GOOD at thin stranded wire. They’re acceptable, but not good. The ancient mp600 with cast cutters that are dinged and damaged from years of hard use out perform brand new replaceable cutters every time, on thin stranded wire.

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 09:40:05 PM
Hmm.. That's so expected but still sucks... That's quite a lazy change to call them a "plus" model..
:iagree:
Pretty much the same thing LM did with the Wave/Charge+. Change pliers head and make it a new model. Gerber did at lease offer a new finish for the CD+ on top of the scissors and large combo blade. :dunno:

I really like the satin SS and stone washed looking tools. Not quite as much as I liked the original two-tone CD, but still like it a lot.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%