Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Found Leatherman Reference in book

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Found Leatherman Reference in book
on: December 20, 2008, 12:42:04 AM

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/Special-Operations-Forces-in-Afghanistan_9781846033100

On page 46 of theis book there is a picture of a  US Special Forces ODA demolitions Sergeant was diffusing a IED.   And in that picture there is (possibly) a blade deployed Supertool.

Also, In page 28, there is a story of the late SGT. Paul "Scruff" McGough(British SBS), during a firefight at Qala-i-Janghi:"immediately realized the need for heavier weapons and , with the assitance with another SBS man, he used his Leatherman Multi-tool to dismount the GPMGs from the vehicles."

Mutlitools in real world, life/death use!!! :salute:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Re: Found Leatherman Reference in book
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 12:57:07 AM
Thx. Interesting what type of mount it was. The GPMG in question has to be a FN MAG (called M240 by US forces). Handling various MAG mounts from HMMWV to APC and other vehicles there are only two pins (one if you only engage the rear pin only for more elevation) to remove which are usually easily removable. 

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 01:36:02 AM
The vehicles in question were Short wheel based Land Rover 90s mounted with L7A2 GPMGs.
Basically an updated slightly smaller version of the late SAS "pink Panther" Land Rover.
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 02:26:26 AM
Sounds like those tools really earned their keep. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 02:45:43 AM
BTW, anyone else noticed this too?

What I noticed from news reports of the "war on terror", is that none of the soldiers are carrying "fixed bladed" knives(bayonets, Ka-Bars, etc.).  Instead their pocketing Multitools, tactical folders, and/or BOTH?

has anyone else noticed that with their respective national armed forces involved in this conflict?? :think:

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 05:58:48 AM
I highly doubt that, BT.. Coldsteel sells hundreds of thousands of fixed blade knives to soldiers every year..
B

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 07:38:09 AM

What I noticed from news reports of the "war on terror", is that none of the soldiers are carrying "fixed bladed" knives(bayonets, Ka-Bars, etc.).  Instead their pocketing Multitools, tactical folders, and/or BOTH?

has anyone else noticed that with their respective national armed forces involved in this conflict?? :think:
I've seen a lot of our boys and girls carrying there issue bayonets :)

And a good few Royal Marines carrying Kukri's, as have the Ghurkas :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 08:46:12 PM

Nice find BT  :tu:

With regards to what soldiers carry I think it very much depends on where they are deployed . I jungles locations I think you would see alot more large fixed blades .

Dunc

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 06:59:46 AM
I know for a fact that US Marines are only allowed to fix bayonetes if ordered to do so, otherwise they have to use the blade as a handheld blade.  However, if they do not have bayoneete orders, it makes more sense to carry a multi and/or folder for lighter and more compact carry.

-Dough
W

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24