Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pioneer Settler - Creation

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Pioneer Settler - Creation
on: July 26, 2019, 11:02:52 AM
Hi folks.

A picture of the Settler was what got me into SAK's years back when I was a firm traditional knife guy. Problem was they no longer exist. I'd be interested in getting one made but I've got some questions.

Assuming I would be using the small blade from a 91mm SAK (assuming the need of a spacer?), Which donor 93mm would give me a spring which would work with that small blade? The available options are a Solo or Pruner unless regular Pioneer blade layer would allow the small blade instead of the awl. The Solo might not allow anything opposite the main blade and the Pruner being considerably deeper might also not work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Re: Pioneer Settler - Creation
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 12:12:16 PM
Are you sure they are discontinued?
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 12:37:37 PM
Are you sure they are discontinued?

The Settler, yeah. At the time you could still pick one up new for about $50 but I waited too long. Now you'll pay real money for a used one.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 01:28:05 PM
The Settler, yeah. At the time you could still pick one up new for about $50 but I waited too long. Now you'll pay real money for a used one.

That surprises me as the large blade small blade combo is a classic penknife set up.
And by coincidence I happen to be looking at my SAK collection I had not looked at in years a couple of days ago and saw I had a NIB settler. :D

Which is of no use to you I am afraid,but I thank you for bringing the fact it’s now discontinued to my attention.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 01:47:49 PM
That surprises me as the large blade small blade combo is a classic penknife set up.
And by coincidence I happen to be looking at my SAK collection I had not looked at in years a couple of days ago and saw I had a NIB settler. :D

Which is of no use to you I am afraid,but I thank you for bringing the fact it’s now discontinued to my attention.

Hang onto it, it's going to be worth real money  :cheers:. Especially if it's old cross or coloured. The Apprentice (Pioneer single layer with electrician second blade) is also discontinued and it's value should be shooting up.

As you say, it's a classic penknife setup which is almost impossible to find anywhere weirdly. That combo of build and quality, fully stainless, decent sized spear and pen blades in a single layer with almost no crinking and at the prices they used to be (25 quid), I'd been looking for years till a Settler suddenly popped up in a google search and I realised I'd been looking the entire time in the wrong places.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 02:30:41 PM
Thanks for that, I will look to see which mine is tonight. I think it is a relatively new one, silver scales with modern logo.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%