Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Huskey Plumber's multi tool

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Huskey Plumber's multi tool
on: July 26, 2019, 04:57:50 PM
I just snagged this for $12 on eBay:

The main tool is a heavy-duty PVC pipe cutter. It also has a deburring tool/flat driver, a reamer for copper pipe, a saw, a flashlight, and a 2.5D phillips driver. Seems pretty slick, I actually need a pair of PVC cutters, so I snagged this. Hopefully it's decent!

Charles.

Offline mikekoz

Re: Huskey Plumber's multi tool
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 05:14:57 AM
   I was temped to buy one of these a few months back at Home Depot. I bought a few of the previous models they  had a few years ago, but they were slightly different. The ones I have are branded "HDX" and have nylon and grey and orange rubber scales. I never used them, but they are kind of crudely made. The cutters on mine are very sharp though!

Offline mikekoz

Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 11:23:07 PM
    I picked one of these up at Home Depot today for $12.48. Here are my initial thoughts!

1. It is ugly
2. The saw is VERY sharp
3. The blade is surprisingly sharp, but a but thin
4. The phillips driver is one of those flat 2D type which I do not care for, but may work OK
5. The flashlight is bright for its size, but uses 4 small button cell batteries that will probably be not too easy to find when they run down. The replacement cells may also cost as much as the tool.  >:D
6. It has a tool on it they call a reamer, but it has no edge at all on it. I am not a plumber, so maybe it has a function that I am not aware of.
7. The tools are a bit hard to open and like a lot of cheap tools that are not made so well, clump when you open them
8. The PVC cutting blade is also sharp and may work well, but again, I am not a plumber, so have nothing lying around to test them.
9. It is a large tool, which I like, but came with no holster
10. It is ugly

I also own the older HDX tool, which has the same cutters, knife, burring tool, flashlight, and phillips driver. That tool also had two other implements called a Hex Stepped Seat Wrench and a  Square Stepped Seat Wrench. Not sure what these are for. The older tool had a better looking, more comfortable grippy handle and came with a holster.  It I get a chance later, I will post pics of both tools together.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 11:55:41 PM
The step wrenches on the older tool are for disassembling leaky faucets and replacing the seats that the rubber washers seal against.

I got my Husky yesterday. It came in opened packaging that was hastily taped back together. The Phillips driver was not machined. It’s obviously a return by someone else, and I returned it too.

My blade wasn’t particularly sharp, but the cutting head was. Sliced myself getting it back in the package to return it. The cutters do work great on fuel line or heater hose, but I’ve not tried them on PVC. I wouldn’t mind getting that HDX tool and combining some of the blades - there is a lot of space between tools taken by over-thick washers.

The weird triangle reamer tool you press into a copper pipe and then rotate.  When you cut copper pipe with one of the tools that clamps on and spins around the tube, the copper pipe is flared inward at the cut. This flares it back outwards (or back to straight).

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD