Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Noob at MultiTool.org - Free P2 and T2 question / Blade Swap

Offline Jlyrgr

• New User
I joined so that I could ask the brain-trust here this question:

** Moderators, if this belongs in the "Mod Squad" please let me know. Sorry in advance if I mis-posted.

I have a Surge, a Skeletool, and a Wingman... I am looking for the best EDC in pocket, but want a straightedge blade. I have broken the Skeletool 3 times (I am a tradesman) and the Wingman 2 times. The Surge has only been in once for a twisted large flathead tool. I mention that because I really do use my tools on a daily basis. So my question is 2 fold:

1.) Is the Free P2 up to daily use as an EDC even with handle play given the elastomers and the separate piece hand construction? Is there a better pocket EDC in the line I am missing that can still be used as a "work" tool. (I had a wave and gifted it... replaced with Surge. Should I just get a wave again?)

2.) I HATE a combo blade... NEED a plain edge blade. I asked Leatherman... will not sell Plain Edge blade for P2 stand alone. Won't allow it to be requested when ordering from them. SO - I was wondering if anyone could verify if the plain edge blade in the T2 is the same as the one in the P2? (I don't imagine they are manufacturing that many different blade blanks!) Looks like buying a T2 to swap the blades with could work. Does anyone have experience with this? Does anyone own both tools and could visually verify or guess as to swap-ability? Am I missing something?

Thank you for helping a new guy out! Look forward to your feedback. - Josh
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 07:35:18 PM by Jlyrgr »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Welcome to  :MTO:  Josh  :cheers:

I don't have any of the Free series tools yet but we have several peeps here that do and I am sure some of them have both of the tools you are asking about :salute: so hopefully someone can give you an answer :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
I, too, prefer a straight edged blade.  No experience with the Free series, however.

ro Offline Raoul Octav

I was thinking about the same, regretably i do not have a T2 or T4 at hand yet...
The locking, better said, the tang and pivot hole and all that is the same as P series.
But, the length seems to be lesser on T series and also the wideness of the T blade seems to be a bit  on the plus size, it can fool the eye due to shorter lenght
Sanger's laws:

-any problem has more than one resolve!

-by the way you look at the problem, the resolve may change!

-where's a will there's a way !

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Roighly the T blade is shorter with 1cm or 1inch (maxed)
Refference point the awl.

* Leatherman-T-Series-P26-T2-jr-thumb.jpg (Filesize: 14.73 KB)
rsz_img_20190726_220401.jpg
* rsz_img_20190726_220401.jpg (Filesize: 120.4 KB)
Sanger's laws:

ro Offline Raoul Octav

And, if Wave and Surge can be compared from size point of view, Free P is a different story, not as robust or heavy duty (my feeling) yet wayyyy more easy to use with one hand, exceptional for allsort of tasks. Right now, when i have the wave or something else, i try getting to the inside tool by swiping the finger hahahha.
Depends what exactly you need, depends on your type of EDC guy. I see a lot of EDCguys with back up to backup to backup tool... wich is not my style, yet one multitool paired with a lighter pocket knife do make sense, to complete each other. For example, P2 i would pair with a 91 Victorinox that has a saw, blade and corkscrew.
Sanger's laws:

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Have you thought about a Charge? If you really want a workhorse, the S30V blade should be right up your alley. It is more expensive, but more versatile than the P2  :hatsoff:

Offline jorritvS

I have the same problem with the Free P2, the combo blade. Therefore I choose the Free P4 it's a little thicker then the P2 but has a straight and serrated knife. And the size shouldn't be a problem compared to the surge. I carried the Surge myself for a long while until I got the Free P4. It's not as heavy-duty as the Surge but I like it a lot. I haven't pushed it to the edge yet like I did it with the Surge but the Free P4 didn't fail me yet. So maybe the Free P4 is an option for you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

ro Offline Raoul Octav

I asked someone to make picture.
Screenshot_20190730_204053.jpg
* Screenshot_20190730_204053.jpg (Filesize: 152.79 KB)
Sanger's laws:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD