Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Charge Plus TTI - cap crimper

MrVic · 16 · 1373

Offline MrVic

Leatherman Charge Plus TTI - cap crimper
on: July 30, 2019, 01:28:55 AM
I’m curious about the Charge Plus TTI

Has anyone found any use for the cap crimpers on this MT, other than crimping detonation fuses?

Seems strange that LM put the crimpers on a non speSmurfpillst MT like the Charge. But has anyone found any other uses for the crimpers.

Also, has anyone found the crimpers to either weaken the pliers or otherwise impede their primary function?

Cheers

:multi:

us Offline JonesE

Re: Leatherman Charge Plus TTI - cap crimper
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 02:03:05 AM
Hi MrVic, I truly have not noticed any weakness in the pliers jaws of either my standard Charge TTi or my Charge Plus TTi. My uses are more along the lines of around the shop and EDC.

JonesE

Offline MrVic

Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 02:18:39 AM
Hi MrVic, I truly have not noticed any weakness in the pliers jaws of either my standard Charge TTi or my Charge Plus TTi. My uses are more along the lines of around the shop and EDC.

JonesE

Thanks JonesE. Have you found any use for the cap crimpers?

Cheers

Omar

us Offline JonesE

Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 02:23:03 AM
I think once or twice I may have installed some terminals on some wires. I honestly forget the crimpers are there.  :facepalm:

JonesE

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 02:47:00 AM
They are great for crimping small lead sinkers when fishing. I also use it for cracking open pistachios that are only slightly split open.

Offline MrVic

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 05:56:45 AM
I think once or twice I may have installed some terminals on some wires. I honestly forget the crimpers are there.  :facepalm:

JonesE
So there’s some other possible uses.. :multi:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MrVic

Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 05:57:15 AM
They are great for crimping small lead sinkers when fishing. I also use it for cracking open pistachios that are only slightly split open.
Hahah never saw that coming! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 06:09:28 AM
I did not like them at all.  I had no reason other than I had no use for them and I also thought they might weaken the plier.  I have had any issued on my TTi but I've also not found any good use for them either.  They are not in the way nor hamper my use.  It would be nice however to use them at some point  :D
Esse Quam Videri

Offline MrVic

Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 11:51:48 AM
I did not like them at all.  I had no reason other than I had no use for them and I also thought they might weaken the plier.  I have had any issued on my TTi but I've also not found any good use for them either.  They are not in the way nor hamper my use.  It would be nice however to use them at some point  :D

Thanks Aloha. The TTI tempts me, but I probably shouldn’t. Have a Charge Plus, which I got mainly because the crimpers put me off the TTI..

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 02:37:18 PM
If you are interested in Titanium but no cap crimpers you could locate a Ti ( older version ).  It has 154CM main blade and no gut hook.  Just a thought. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 02:59:39 PM
If you are interested in Titanium but no cap crimpers you could locate a Ti ( older version ).  It has 154CM main blade and no gut hook.  Just a thought.

:iagree: :cheers:

Offline MrVic

Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 09:30:58 PM

It was more the S30V blade that was interesting me. I seem to be doing a good job of convincing myself I need it (I don’t). I like the replaceable wire cutters (not that I’ve had to replace any yet!).

Am I just spending too much time on MTO???  :facepalm:

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 09:46:25 PM
Really nothing wrong with 154CM if you’re looking for better the stock garden-variety 420. Recently picked up the older Ti with the 154CM blade and can highly recommend it.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 10:17:24 PM
 :like:

That's the one  :tu:

Of course you "need" a TTi or Ti  :pok: especially since you don't have one.  Replaceable cutters  :dunno: thats where I am not certain I "need" the upgrade from my TTi and Ti. 

Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 06:09:40 PM
I’m curious about the Charge Plus TTI

Has anyone found any use for the cap crimpers on this MT, other than crimping detonation fuses?

Seems strange that LM put the crimpers on a non speSmurfpillst MT like the Charge. But has anyone found any other uses for the crimpers.

Also, has anyone found the crimpers to either weaken the pliers or otherwise impede their primary function?

Cheers

:multi:

NO.

Okay, here's some explanation. I love the CC because I once -for a very short time- was doing some work in Special FX. In that line of work you really need a good multi-tool. Most of the time my SwissChamp saved my day.
When the TTi with CC came out, I already stopped doing SFX for a long time, but I still love the CC as a sort of personal nostalgic remembrance.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 06:37:57 PM
  The lead sinker crimper takes up too much real estate on the pliers, v1.0 or v.2.0 it's a waste of space. Can pull nails out with it, or... succumb to the dark side of the force...

(Not my work, but sharing is caring)
ReCharge TTi.jpg
* ReCharge TTi.jpg (Filesize: 55.17 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%