Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool vs Swisschamp

Poll

What do you prefer to carry?

Swisstool
4 (10.8%)
Swisstool Spirit
17 (45.9%)
Swisschamp
16 (43.2%)

Total Members Voted: 37

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Swisstool vs Swisschamp
Reply #30 on: August 31, 2019, 05:09:37 PM
It's those moments like you had with the Chaplain that make carrying a multitool so much fun :D
Yes! In my last job there was a resident who knew how much I loved to use my Farmer so she'd bring up all her cans for me to open because her 'tin opener wasn't working properly'  :D While fixing her sink one day I checked her electric can opener while she wasn't there and it was working perfectly  :D What a sweetheart!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #31 on: August 31, 2019, 05:21:06 PM
I agree!!
Barry

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: August 31, 2019, 09:13:03 PM
What a hard choice!

During my last two years working Hamkeys(I can say that out loud now :rofl:) the only multis I EDCd were my Spirit and a Swisstool X.

When I was packing my home up last year to relocate,I exclusively carried a Swisschamp.

All three are great tools. Loved Mags quip about the Swissclump,and I'd always thought its be too big to be practical,but in practice its surprisingly agile in the hand.

I love the clunk clunk clunk of the Swisstool,like hearing a Transformer transform,or the slam of the door of an old school Jaguar. It's a beast. I sold my ex-Aussie BO Swisstool to one of the young lads I used to work with. He'd been edcing a Ranger,and was looking at stepping up to a multi. The Swisstool just blew him away. Being born in Oz,the link to the Australian army was the cherry on the top.

But the Spirit...
I bought mine second hand off the artist formerly known as 50ft Trad. I have no excuse for having bought another tool there after. Wonderful ergonomics, great F+F,it just always feels special. Oh...and there was the day at Hamleys I sawed through a lock with it to the surprise of the maintenance staff...
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #33 on: August 31, 2019, 10:23:07 PM
You sawed through a lock?  :ahhh Give that man a medal  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 31, 2019, 11:24:17 PM
Swisschamp for me. I like the tool set and I prefer pocket knife based MT. If I need a better pliers I have to walk back to my Jeep but the SC pliers usually can handle what I need.

IMG_20190526_101254.jpg
* IMG_20190526_101254.jpg (Filesize: 317.51 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #35 on: September 01, 2019, 03:25:05 AM
 :iagree: Mags!  Sawing a lock is rough with a hacksaw, let alone a M/T.

Nice pic Gene!  I've never felt the Swisschamp unwieldy.  I actually like the girth for sawing and cutting. 
Barry

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #36 on: September 01, 2019, 07:59:50 PM
What a hard choice!

During my last two years working Hamkeys(I can say that out loud now :rofl:) the only multis I EDCd were my Spirit and a Swisstool X.

When I was packing my home up last year to relocate,I exclusively carried a Swisschamp.

All three are great tools. Loved Mags quip about the Swissclump,and I'd always thought its be too big to be practical,but in practice its surprisingly agile in the hand.

I love the clunk clunk clunk of the Swisstool,like hearing a Transformer transform,or the slam of the door of an old school Jaguar. It's a beast. I sold my ex-Aussie BO Swisstool to one of the young lads I used to work with. He'd been edcing a Ranger,and was looking at stepping up to a multi. The Swisstool just blew him away. Being born in Oz,the link to the Australian army was the cherry on the top.

But the Spirit...
I bought mine second hand off the artist formerly known as 50ft Trad. I have no excuse for having bought another tool there after. Wonderful ergonomics, great F+F,it just always feels special. Oh...and there was the day at Hamleys I sawed through a lock with it to the surprise of the maintenance staff...

You sawed through a lock?  :ahhh Give that man a medal  :cheers:

I'm impressed with the lock dissection too, John.  :salute: Good to hear that Spirit is still going strong  :tu: It still amuses me when I think of when you told me what happened when you first opened it, and as the tool snicked precisely into place, you said that's just ruined everything  :D I still feel the same way, and the Spirit is now the only locking bladed tool I'll ever carry, but the spear blade on the X and the 2010 RT suits me better.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #37 on: September 02, 2019, 02:59:37 AM
Definitely the SwissChamp for me. The Swisstool and Spirit are nice, and I’m sure they’re gold in the hands of a man who’s handier than I. But I’m not a particularly handy man.

I like to tinker with things as a hobbyist, and examine the world around me. I’m also an avid outdoorsman. For these uses, the SwissChamp reigns supreme. I can look at the details of the world through my magnifier, and measure them with my ruler. The scissors are often called to duty for the more delicate cuts in life, and the pliers are superb for handling small objects. The file keeps my nails in working order, and the eyeglass screwdriver keeps my spectacles together. The cap lifter opens my daily beer, and the can opener helps me eat in the field. The Philips head screwdriver and other small screwdrivers are remarkably handy for adjusting my bicycle, and the tweezers removes the splinters from my fingers.

As an aid to living my daily energetic life of exploration, there is no finer tool than the SwissChamp.

--
'Buzz

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #38 on: September 02, 2019, 03:51:30 AM
 :like:  and    :like:   the photo and  :iagree:  - Although I love the Spirit too     :cheers:    :o

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #39 on: September 02, 2019, 04:10:15 AM
For me, Id go with spirit mainly cause one of the most common tools I use are pliers.

But doesnt mean I dont love a good swisschamp

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: September 02, 2019, 04:51:51 AM
Definitely the SwissChamp for me. The Swisstool and Spirit are nice, and I’m sure they’re gold in the hands of a man who’s handier than I. But I’m not a particularly handy man.

I like to tinker with things as a hobbyist, and examine the world around me. I’m also an avid outdoorsman. For these uses, the SwissChamp reigns supreme. I can look at the details of the world through my magnifier, and measure them with my ruler. The scissors are often called to duty for the more delicate cuts in life, and the pliers are superb for handling small objects. The file keeps my nails in working order, and the eyeglass screwdriver keeps my spectacles together. The cap lifter opens my daily beer, and the can opener helps me eat in the field. The Philips head screwdriver and other small screwdrivers are remarkably handy for adjusting my bicycle, and the tweezers removes the splinters from my fingers.

As an aid to living my daily energetic life of exploration, there is no finer tool than the SwissChamp.

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice scales on your SC  :tu:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: September 02, 2019, 08:58:17 AM
I'd have to tentatively say SwissChamp - if only because it provides for better mod fodder than SwissTools of any size. (A case in point is my attempt to get an even larger SwissClump  ;) in the form of my CyberChamp Lite). But if you have to have full size pliers, I'd go Spirit for portability. Sadly the two full size Swisstools I own have not been carried recently - they are simply too large to pocket, and the original horizontal carry sheaths I have for them are a tad conspicuous, and appear a little bit too prone to tearing for me to trust them as EDC... maybe I should try to get one of the newer sheaths. Options, options...  :ahhh
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #42 on: September 02, 2019, 03:27:17 PM
A SOG Powerloc sheath works very well for the full size Swisstools, and not nearly as wide.

Great write-ups everyone!
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69