Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Buck Factory visit

Nix · 257 · 6222

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Buck Factory visit
on: August 02, 2019, 12:50:35 AM
I think I've mentioned my plan to visit the Buck Factory in August in a couple of other threads, but I thought I'd make a dedicated thread for it.

This should be a fun little road trip for me, I'm planning a loop that runs from Montana to Post Falls, Idaho (home of Buck) then up to Sand Point, Idaho. My return will take me through some really nice country. I'll try to get some photos posted as I go.

I'm not sure how much photography is permitted in the factory--guild secrets and all that--but I'll shoot what I can and post here as I'm able.

I'm also planing on taking an MTo sticker along; I'll try to get an employee to let me put it up on a wall or desk somewhere. #mtowashere

My Factory tour is scheduled for August 8th. If you have specific questions that I can ask while I'm on tour, post them in this thread.

I'll be traveling light, but if I'll make a point of bringing back some schwag...which means a GAW will be in order.  :D  I don't know what the prize(s) will be, yet, but it seems that a GAW is in order (see rules below).

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Buck Factory visit
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 12:51:57 AM
Oh, weather looks HOT for the first couple of days......  :-[

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 12:53:40 AM
Buck GAW

1. Enter your name on the list below.  If you have a Buck memory or question, please list that next to your name.
2. That's it. We'll figure out the rest later.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 12:55:05 AM
00 - Nix : I recall handling my first Buck 110 when I was 10 years old. It seemed like the most amazing knife I'd ever seen at that point in my long and experienced life. I was hooked.....which is why I have too many 110's..... :facepalm:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 01:35:58 AM
Great idea Jack   :like:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 01:37:12 AM
Sounds like a great trip mate  :tu:.

And you've said it, we need pics, lots of pics. Not only from the factory (if allowed) but also from the scenery during your trip.

I really, really like scenery pics from all around the world, great to look at and at the same time maybe some ideas for future trips (in this case probably very distant future  :-\).

Now, questions for Buck...

00 - Nix : I recall handling my first Buck 110 when I was 10 years old. It seemed like the most amazing knife I'd ever seen at that point in my long and experienced life. I was hooked.....which is why I have too many 110's..... :facepalm:

01 - Top-Gear-24: Have they ever thought about directly taking on Victorinox, I mean, are there (or have there been) plans to make a Buck version of the Swiss Army Knife. Maybe a new brand with a fresh look at the concept might spice things up a bit (also the reason why I'm so excited about the coming Gerber Armbar).

Edit: If they have a SAK like knife already in their line up (that I don't know about, since I'm an absolute Buck noob  :-[) please take this question off the list (or if you don't like it for any reason, also remove it, no harm done  ;)). 

Edit 2: I do mean a real Buck version of the SAK, not a Wenger with Buck scales.

And now I'll be doing this...  :popcorn:

« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 01:42:25 AM by Top-Gear-24 »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 01:41:34 AM
 :tu:

us Offline David

Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 02:34:45 AM

01 - Top-Gear-24: Have they ever thought about directly taking on Victorinox, I mean, are there (or have there been) plans to make a Buck version of the Swiss Army Knife. Maybe a new brand with a fresh look at the concept might spice things up a bit (also the reason why I'm so excited about the coming Gerber Armbar).

02 - David : My first Buck was a 110 I bought in 1974. I thought it was the most beautiful knife I'd ever seen. I still think the 110 is one of the best folding knives ever.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 02:36:31 AM
 :iagree:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 02:45:03 AM

02 - David : My first Buck was a 110 I bought in 1974. I thought it was the most beautiful knife I'd ever seen. I still think the 110 is one of the best folding knives ever.

03 - Huntsman - As a Swiss knife fan I am fascinated with the SwissBuck family of models in the 1990s - And also really like those models - I have two - How did that partnership come about? And why did it end? (.... and do they like the SAKWiki Buck page? ;) )

Great stuff Nix - Thanks for sharing and good idea on the Qs/GAW

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 02:48:38 AM
Great question!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 03:51:44 AM

03 - Huntsman - As a Swiss knife fan I am fascinated with the SwissBuck family of models in the 1990s - And also really like those models - I have two - How did that partnership come about? And why did it end? (.... and do they like the SAKWiki Buck page? ;) )

04 - Mine isn’t a specific memory, rather an association with my childhood.  While I was growing up, my Dad almost always had a Buck on his belt in a leather sheath.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 05:01:32 AM
My father rarely carried a pocket knife. It was my grandfather who always had a knife with him, including a Buck.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 05:02:03 AM

04 - Sos24 - Mine isn’t a specific memory, rather an association with my childhood.  While I was growing up, my Dad almost always had a Buck on his belt in a leather sheath.

us Offline LoopCutter

Buck Factory visit
Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 02:18:03 PM
Thank you for taking us along on your road trip, it will be great to get away!

The Buck knife offerings are very interesting and a tour would be most interesting.  There is one model, the Marksman, that is interesting and would appreciate your impressions if able to fondle one.  I suspect your hands to be XL or XXL like mine. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #15 on: August 02, 2019, 02:27:12 PM
05 - LoopCutter, I read my grandfather’s Outdoor Life magazines and I am sure I was impressed by the Buck ads, yet never saw a Buck knife until my cousin (2nd) went to Vietnam, before deployment on his first tour he search town for a Buck fix blade and recalled he found it at a high in sporting goods store. He carried it everyday in country, serving 5 or 6 tours. And it was not the same fancy knife he left with. And, I understood he never removed it from its sheath since.  He passed away 3 years ago from cancer.  And his wife placed that knife in his casket.

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: August 02, 2019, 04:36:02 PM
Thanks for the story, LC. Powerful.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 04:36:22 PM
Thank you for taking us along on your road trip, it will be great to get away!

The Buck knife offerings are very interesting and a tour would be most interesting.  There is one model, the Marksman, that is interesting and would appreciate your impressions if able to fondle one.  I suspect your hands to be XL or XXL like mine. 

Will do!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: August 02, 2019, 04:37:18 PM
I'm going to keep a condensed list running, but keep those memories, stories, and questions coming!  :salute:

01 - Top-Gear-24
02 - David
03 - Huntsman
04 - Sos24
05 - LoopCutter

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 02, 2019, 04:52:27 PM
06 - alexanderre

When I was still in my teens I remember my dad returned from the US and brought a folding knife I’ve never seen before - it was beautiful, had a nice leather sheath and with every detail of it it ensured quality and confidence. My dad gifted the knife to his uncle and he’s been using it for the rest of his life. Now his son has and uses it. I remember now that back in a day I thought that when I grow up I’ll get one just like that for myself. It was a legendary Buck 110.
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 04:58:52 PM
 :tu:  Great story.   :tu:

01 - Top-Gear-24
02 - David
03 - Huntsman
04 - Sos24
05 - LoopCutter
06 - alexanderre

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 05:07:25 PM

Got my first Buck knife for my birthday , 13th I think  :think:  I carried it a lot for camping when I lived in Colorado and even for work until I got my PST.

Buck 112 Ranger

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 05:16:50 PM
That's a beauty, Steve!  :like:

01 - Top-Gear-24
02 - David
03 - Huntsman
04 - Sos24
05 - LoopCutter
06 - alexanderre
07 - SteveC

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #23 on: August 02, 2019, 06:12:44 PM

Got my first Buck knife for my birthday , 13th I think  :think:  I carried it a lot for camping when I lived in Colorado and even for work until I got my PST.

Buck 112 Ranger

(Image removed from quote.)

Okay ... that's a beauty  :sa:

Show content
opens another window to do a google search for "Buck 112 for sale in Belgium" ...  :facepalm:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: August 02, 2019, 07:28:09 PM
What a great idea Jack  :like:
It's always a treat reading your hiking stories.
And now you're doing a roadtrip and a visit to one, if not the, most iconic knife maker of the US?
+ GAW? I'm in  :D

08 I have no memories nor experience with Buck knifes. SAK's were considered "the shizzle" back in my childhood around here. I assume a 110 was just not considered "practical".
I guess a question I have in mind would be...

Do they follow a different strategy for the European market?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: August 02, 2019, 08:00:47 PM
Nice!

01 - Top-Gear-24
02 - David
03 - Huntsman
04 - Sos24
05 - LoopCutter
06 - alexanderre
07 - SteveC
08 - McStitchy

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: August 02, 2019, 10:25:48 PM

My first Buck was a Pathfinder.

This is a picture of my 3 most prized knives of all the knives I own.

The top knife is the West-Cut, Boulder, Colo. knife my dad carried in World War II when he served in the US Army Timberwolf Division in Germany.

The Buck Pathfinder right below it was my dad's, and the bottom Buck Pathfinder is the one he bought for me.

It was 1967 and I was 16 years old. It was a Saturday and it was raining out. My dad asked if I wanted to go to the Phil's Gun Shop. Naturally I said yes.

When we got there he walked over to the Buck Knife Counter Display and bought both Buck Pathfinders.

I could not believe that I finally had a Buck knife. I still remember the feeling every time I see these two knives.
GEDC0535.JPG
* GEDC0535.JPG (Filesize: 286.65 KB)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: August 02, 2019, 10:42:21 PM
05 - LoopCutter, I read my grandfather’s Outdoor Life magazines and I am sure I was impressed by the Buck ads, yet never saw a Buck knife until my cousin (2nd) went to Vietnam, before deployment on his first tour he search town for a Buck fix blade and recalled he found it at a high in sporting goods store. He carried it everyday in country, serving 5 or 6 tours. And it was not the same fancy knife he left with. And, I understood he never removed it from its sheath since.  He passed away 3 years ago from cancer.  And his wife placed that knife in his casket.

Oh boy, that was terrific what his wife did!  :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: August 02, 2019, 10:42:44 PM
Thanks for the story, LC. Powerful.  :tu:
:iagree:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: August 02, 2019, 10:46:20 PM

Buck 112 Ranger

Nice one and still looking great!  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85