Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Black Bar Logo again

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Black Bar Logo again
on: August 02, 2019, 02:54:12 PM
Hello everyone,

Some of you may have noticed that we have once again posted the Black Bar logo that indicates that a member here has passed on.  You are probably looking for information on who, so that we can all send off our friend with the honor they deserve, and, when able, I will provide it.

At this time his family has asked me not to announce it until they deal with some prevailing issues, some of which are legal matters, and I am 100% in favor of respecting his family's wishes.

So, why did we change the logo?  Simple- regardless of the member's identity, we here at Multitool.org have a reputation of looking after our own.  We respect each other (even if at times we don't much like each other) and I feel that this member, and his family are worthy of knowing that, while this person may be gone, he is absolutely not forgotten, nor will he ever be as long as there is a Multitool.org.

I realize that it may not sit right with some members, that they are expected to mourn the loss of someone when they don't know who that person is, and I am truly sorry for any discomfort this may cause you, but I simply could not allow the memory of this man to pass unnoticed.

Many of you won't even know his name when I do announce it, as he has not been active in some time, but I guarantee that every one of you here has felt the impact of what he has done for this community, and for the entire industry at large.  Many years ago he was involved with starting a snowball that has since grown into a glacier, and is now so much a part of the fabric of the entire industry, let alone just this site, that most folks don't even think about it anymore.

Because of that, and because he was absolutely one of us, and always will be, I felt it necessary to observe his loss, even if I am not yet able to disclose his identity.  For now, he will be the Unknown Soldier of Multitool.org- worthy of more praise, respect and honor than even we can provide.

So, I ask you all to bear with me- I realize that this is not an ideal situation, but then, if ideal is the concept we are chasing, we would have no need for the black bar logo to begin with.

Thank you for your understanding.

Grant
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Black Bar Logo again
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 02:57:44 PM
Though I don't know the identity just yet, I am sorry to hear we have lost another member.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 04:04:45 PM
 :salute: RIP. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 04:15:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up,  Grant  :salute:

RIP :salute:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 04:24:41 PM
RIP  :salute:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 04:26:21 PM
Grant, I do understand your conflict of respecting the family's wishes, and yet wanting to pay tribute to the member that has passed away, but I wish you'd waited to change the banner till the details could be released. Being told "one of your friends has died, but I can't tell you which one" is even worse than either being told who, or not being told at all.

I'm not going to press for details, as you're quite right to respect the family's wishes. It's just the "teaser banner" that I think was a little ill judged. Sorry mate.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 04:26:45 PM
R.I.P. Unknown MTO-friend  :salute:.

And my deepest condolences to his family and friends.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 04:27:52 PM
I was wondering what the black logo was for. Now  I wish I'd stayed ignorant.  :salute:
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 05:07:01 PM
I agree with AimlessWanderer on this occasion. With that said, my condolences to the family.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 08:22:33 PM
Al and Dan,

You both are absolutely correct, however if I had waited I am certain I would have gotten just as many folks complaining that they would have liked to be informed right away.  It's a difficult call to make, as it will be wrong whichever way I go. 

In the end, showing the family that we care and respect the lost member is, to me, more important than a bit of temporary upset in not knowing who.  What I will say is that this member has probably not been active since either of you joined, and so neither of you are likely to have known him.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 08:44:28 PM
 :hatsoff:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 08:49:38 PM
 :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 10:25:51 PM
Al and Dan,

You both are absolutely correct, however if I had waited I am certain I would have gotten just as many folks complaining that they would have liked to be informed right away.  It's a difficult call to make, as it will be wrong whichever way I go. 

In the end, showing the family that we care and respect the lost member is, to me, more important than a bit of temporary upset in not knowing who.  What I will say is that this member has probably not been active since either of you joined, and so neither of you are likely to have known him.

Def
:iagree: :hatsoff:

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 02:55:10 AM
Thank you for letting us know Grant. Regardless if we knew them or not multi-tool is still a community of sorts so it is only proper to pay our respects...

Farewell and Godspeed to whomever has passed on. Condolences and best wishes in this difficult time to their family.
 :hatsoff:
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2019, 03:04:54 AM
R.I.P. Multitool Brother  :salute:
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline superpaco

• Bigly bragadocious
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2019, 03:58:11 AM
I'm all for paying respect to someone who deserves it even if I don't know the person or their name. May he never see another speck of rust.
Life is hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #16 on: August 03, 2019, 03:04:25 PM
R.I.P  :salute:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 03, 2019, 05:57:00 PM
Godspeed  :salute:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #18 on: August 03, 2019, 06:46:08 PM
RIP and SALUTE to the dearly departed and strength to family in their time of sorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 03, 2019, 09:25:08 PM
:salute:

:hug:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #20 on: August 03, 2019, 10:08:21 PM
Condolences to the family.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 01:50:04 PM
Lest we forget....
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 03:13:52 PM
My condolences to his family and friends  :(
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 05, 2019, 10:40:42 PM
I'm sorry to read that and I hope that whoever it was has found peace and that the remaining family remembers the good times

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #24 on: August 06, 2019, 04:15:32 AM
condolences  :salute:

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 06, 2019, 04:40:44 AM
RIP.   :salute:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: August 07, 2019, 12:48:29 AM
The cat is out of the bag (figuratively, although poignant considering the source) on Facebook, so I'm going to share it here.

Our good friend Felinevet, aka Tim has lost his son, known to many here as Rotokid or just Tom.  I have a lot to say, but here is what Tim had to say on Facebook:

I have waited to post until I was ready. Our son, Tom, died suddenly last Tuesday. Two weeks before his 51st. Birthday and a day before my Birthday. He has been disabled for nearly 20 years due to a work-related injury. Prior to his injury, he was an avid Golfer, a 300 bowler, creative and innovative woodworker, an inventor with a patent, and a lover of life.

He had a wonderful wit and a brilliant mind. He was slightly right of Atilla the Hun politically (these three qualities he obviously got from me!)

As he and I were alone in iCU one evening and he lay comatose and unresponsive, I had a conversation with him. As I did so, I invited God to join us and I felt His presence. During that conversation, I told Tom how much I loved him and that I was entrusting him to God as his Heavenly Father as I was no longer able to be his earthly father.

As we mourn, we do so with a mixture of relief that he is no longer in constant pain and sadness for his life that he was not able to live as he wanted.

In thinking of the best way to honor Tom, I realized that due to my strokes, surgeries and heart conditions I have been living life defensively, afraid that something more would happen to prevent me from doing the things I wanted to do so not doing them.

Tom's body failed him but, while mine is bowed, it is not broken and the best way to honor my son is to LIVE life. I might die tomorrow but, until I do, I will LIVE! I will take the River Cruise on the Columbia and Snake River, I will visit Lisa in Virginia, I will get back to the gym, I will volunteer at the Police Department, get back to writing, and the many other things I have put off till I was "confident" that I was "healthy" enough.

The picture I chose here is one that portrays the Tom we had before his injuries. It is my computer screensaver and the way I will remember him.

I love you Tom, and I will see you on the other side! Dad.

Goodbye old friend- as long as there's a Multitool.org, you won't be forgotten.

Def
FB_IMG_1565131494988.jpg
* FB_IMG_1565131494988.jpg (Filesize: 36.41 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: August 07, 2019, 01:08:45 AM
May he RIP    :salute:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 07, 2019, 01:25:12 AM
Condolences to the family,
I am only recently back on the forum but have had dealings with tim in the past and remember rotokid.

Sorry to hear such sad news and hope Tim can live by his sons example and do all the things he had previously put off.

RIP Rotokid.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 07, 2019, 01:33:20 AM
Tom, may you find rest and joy with our Heavenly Father.  Tim may you find Joy in LIVING the journey and may that joy bring Peace
God's Love and Blessings fall upon you.
Douglas
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24