Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Building a desktop system

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Building a desktop system
on: August 02, 2019, 03:49:42 PM
Just like to hear what you guys would like to use in building a desktop system. I plan on using this mainly for web browsing, a bit of media play and some gameplay but would like to build it to last a long time :cheers:

Opinions (and links :D ) for motherboards, cooling system, processor, ram, hdd, ssd, graphics card, types of drives like blurry and/or types of flash memory drives and case would be appreciated  :salute: and also whatever else for the inside you might recommend  :salute: I have upgraded system that I have bought but never built from scratch :ahhh would really love to do this but of course it may he a while still yet before this idea comes to fruition  :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Building a desktop system
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 03:50:44 PM
I also might like to use more than 1 monitor :cheers: if the mother board supports this it is a plus :like: also plenty of USB 3.1 ports :cheers:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 04:21:18 PM
So far, an AMD processor paired with a B450 motherboard (some of them even have USB C to go with USB 3.1 and 3.2) looks good.

I like the look of the Ryzen 2200G processor.
It definitely has enough CPU-power for multimedia and webbrowsing, and has an integrated graphics good enough for light gaming. But you'd probably need an external graphics card for 2 monitors, if I'm not mistaken.

Both a B450 motherboard and a 2200G processor can be found for about $80 each.
I was looking at the MSI mATX B450 Gaming Plus myself.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 04:57:09 PM
Thanks,  Pabs  :cheers: I like have an idea of what to look for :salute: I have already been looking and have an idea of what I want but I will sit down at a computer and write all that out ::) just on phone now and harder to sit and type it all out without going back and forth a lot to write all the letter and numbers for the different model numbers  :D

Also I want around 16gb of RAM since what I have now has 8 but it is much slower type of RAM than what is out today :ahhh or would 32gb be overkill :whistle: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 04:57:30 PM
What about different graphics cards :think:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 07:03:29 PM
Thanks,  Pabs  :cheers: I like have an idea of what to look for :salute: I have already been looking and have an idea of what I want but I will sit down at a computer and write all that out ::) just on phone now and harder to sit and type it all out without going back and forth a lot to write all the letter and numbers for the different model numbers  :D

Also I want around 16gb of RAM since what I have now has 8 but it is much slower type of RAM than what is out today :ahhh or would 32gb be overkill :whistle: :D
Definitely 16GB. :tu:
No more unless you are doing HEAVY video editing, and 8 only if you absolutely know what you're getting into. 16GB is the sweet spot.
Try to get 2933MHz or faster.

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 07:05:02 PM
What about different graphics cards :think:
I haven't looked at those much. :think:
I realised that the integrated graphics on the Ryzen 2200G would be good enough for my light gaming, and so I didn't look farther. :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 08:10:04 PM
I hate to say this...but I created this post on my last "new computer" and that was back in 2013. I have as yet found any need to upgrade this, and I do my fair share of gaming on it as well. There was a time when the software lead the hardware, and to keep up with the latest or to be able to run the latest, necessitated a constant upgrade cycle. I mean, I used to build my own systems. My last purchase of this Asus Republic of Gamer system, was the last time I needed to upgrade my hardware.

Here is the thread I created on here when I bought the system.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,49063.0.html

I haven't had to keep up with the latest and greatest...so you could use as a good basis to start from.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 10:19:08 PM
My system from 2011 still does what I need it to  :cheers: and I may never get to this  build  but if I do get birthday and Christmas money, I will add some of my own money and see where it will get me :cheers: just like to see what peeps opinions are here at MTO  :salute: :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 04:21:04 PM
I have decided to try and upgrade my current system  :tu: I have been looking at what parts will work for it that would make it the fastest version of it possible  :D may go from an Intel i3 to an i7 processor :dd: from integrated graphics to a graphics card (one that is period correct for this machine) and a bigger power supply :like:

Since the parts are older I think I can get them rather cheap and hopefully still get a good bump in performance  :think: :cheers:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 05:22:46 AM
Sounds like a plan.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 05:38:07 AM
I have decided to try and upgrade my current system  :tu: I have been looking at what parts will work for it that would make it the fastest version of it possible  :D may go from an Intel i3 to an i7 processor :dd: from integrated graphics to a graphics card (one that is period correct for this machine) and a bigger power supply :like:

Since the parts are older I think I can get them rather cheap and hopefully still get a good bump in performance  :think: :cheers:

I have three systems in use. Two I built in 2010(Intel Q6600 2.6GHz@3GHz quad core and 8GB DDR 3 with 1GB GDDR5 Ati video)/2011(AMD Phenom Black Edition 2.8GHz@3.2GHz and 8GB DR2 with 1GB GDDR5 Nvidia video), and a Dell Studio(i7 and 8GB DDR3 with 1GB GDDR5 ATi video) from 2013(given to me).
All seemed slow with Windows or Linux. Upgraded to SSDs for the OS/primary programs and they run crazy fast now.

I recommend using Windows to shrink the main partition(to the size of the selected SSD drive) and making an image backup with Windows backup. Then load the image to the SSD. Cheapest upgrade I have found for browsing/video/media use. I am not a gamer, so can't speak to their effectiveness for modern high-resource gaming, but am now spoiled with 10 second boot times and instant browser/media player loading. All three systems have upgraded power supplies and cooling.

Just my $0.02 on the matter. :ahhh

Edit: Disk manager in admin tools is how I modify partition size. If it can't do it, there is a free CD bootable Linux distro with a great partition manager I used on the Dell Studio(1TB drive needed to be 250GB for the cheap SSD and Windows only allowed for 500GB reduction).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 05:51:26 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 04:08:09 PM
I had already been looking at ssd's  :cheers: thanks for the comments and tips on them :tu:

Have already been reading up on cloning Windows to the ssd as well :like:

I got a graphics card coming and only paid $15 for it, hoping it lasts a while but according to all the reading I have done on them it is one of the few that should work with no problems :salute:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 08:53:53 PM
 :cheers:

SSD and video card should make a notable improvement over integrated graphics and motor disk drives. :woohoo:

Let me know if it is a lemon. I think I've got an extra GDDR3 512MB Nvidia or ATi PCIe laying around you can have. Good enough to watch 1080p youtube with anyway.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 09:23:38 PM
Poncho, what chipset/or generation/or model is your motherboard?
(I'm assuming that you're not planning on upgrading the motherboard?)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 10:23:32 PM
I built my own PC a couple of years ago. The original plan was for my friend to build it but he piked on me and said I should build it myself. He had already helped me order the parts so it was just a matter of finding a good YouTube tutorial or two and taking the leap.

I put Windows and programs like games on the SSD and things like my CAD program on the D:/ drive. The SSD is almost full, being only 256GB. They are probably much bigger now and perhaps I will get a bigger one sometime. So get bigger than you think you will need.

If you want I could list my components so you know what was good in 2016.  :D

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 10:30:44 PM
I am definitely no expert but you may find with upgrading that you are constrained by what you are keeping limiting how much you can upgrade.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 11:53:47 PM
Technology has come a way in years. :dd:
It's amazing how the integrated graphics in the 4 core AMD 2200G processor almost match a dedicated graphics card with 2gb of graphics card RAM, for $80!
And the motherboard is cheaper.

(Though for some reason, the gpu benchmark website only shows the benchmark for the slow laptop version of the Vega 8 graphics in the 2200G. :dunno: )

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 12:06:23 PM
:cheers:

SSD and video card should make a notable improvement over integrated graphics and motor disk drives. :woohoo:

Let me know if it is a lemon. I think I've got an extra GDDR3 512MB Nvidia or ATi PCIe laying around you can have. Good enough to watch 1080p youtube with anyway.

Thanks for the offer :salute: I will keep that in mind :D :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 12:09:07 PM
Poncho, what chipset/or generation/or model is your motherboard?
(I'm assuming that you're not planning on upgrading the motherboard?)

2nd Gen i3 in a Pegatron Caramel 2 and trying to keep the motherboard :ahhh :D

Going to have to keep the new CPU in the same gen, so I am going with an i7 2600 if I can get one at a good price :ahhh :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: August 09, 2019, 12:13:02 PM
I built my own PC a couple of years ago. The original plan was for my friend to build it but he piked on me and said I should build it myself. He had already helped me order the parts so it was just a matter of finding a good YouTube tutorial or two and taking the leap.

I put Windows and programs like games on the SSD and things like my CAD program on the D:/ drive. The SSD is almost full, being only 256GB. They are probably much bigger now and perhaps I will get a bigger one sometime. So get bigger than you think you will need.

If you want I could list my components so you know what was good in 2016.  :D

Lists are always nice :dd: :like:

Hope the system is still running great for you :tu: I have a few external hdds and will turn the 1.5 gb internal into extra space after I clone it :cheers: Not sure if I can find a bigger ssd than 256 gb for the connectors I have :ahhh it is sata 2 and so many options for these on eBay :ahhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: August 09, 2019, 12:14:26 PM
I am definitely no expert but you may find with upgrading that you are constrained by what you are keeping limiting how much you can upgrade.

I am using the model number for my pc to upgrade it to the max of it's limitations :cheers: I will see how it all goes and hope to be able to keep this system for several more years :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: August 09, 2019, 12:17:13 PM
Technology has come a way in years. :dd:
It's amazing how the integrated graphics in the 4 core AMD 2200G processor almost match a dedicated graphics card with 2gb of graphics card RAM, for $80!
And the motherboard is cheaper.

(Though for some reason, the gpu benchmark website only shows the benchmark for the slow laptop version of the Vega 8 graphics in the 2200G. :dunno: )

Technology like this is sure quarky :D love to see that it has gotten cheaper over the years and amazing that prices have dropped as they have on everything :ahhh :like: I have been wanting to upgrade this particular pc for some time :salute: it still runs great but I want it to be the best pc it can be :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: August 09, 2019, 12:19:04 PM
I also have added a new power supply on the cheap  :cheers: it is 600 watts, so hopefully big enough to power everything I am changing :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: August 09, 2019, 12:44:17 PM
2nd Gen i3 in a Pegatron Caramel 2 and trying to keep the motherboard :ahhh :D

Going to have to keep the new CPU in the same gen, so I am going with an i7 2600 if I can get one at a good price :ahhh :D
Poncho, I'm sorry to say, that motherboard is a bit too old. :(
I don't know how cheap you will be able to find a i7 2600 for (PCPartPicker says $250 ??? ), but a last generation $100 processor paired with a brand new $60 motherboard will beat it slightly AND still have lots of upgrade life in it....
True, you'll need to buy (maybe 8GB) of DDR4, buts RAM is currently the cheapest it's ever been in 2-3 years, almost as cheap as it was in 2016. So now is a great opportunity.

I wouldn't pay much more than $50 on a new processor for a 2nd generation Intel motherboard.

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #25 on: August 09, 2019, 12:46:21 PM
Yeah it's going great. Just like I said about getting low on space on the SSD. I could have got a better tower. I might get liquid cooling one day.

• Intel Core i7-6700 3.4Ghz 8MB Cache *Quad Core* 2000Mhz Socket LGA1151 CPU Retail Boxed - (p/n: BX80662I76700)
  • ASUS Z170-K - Motherboard - ATX - LGA1151 Socket - Z170 - USB 3.0, USB 3.1, USB-C - Gigabit LAN - onboard graphics (CPU required) - HD Audio (8-channel)
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB Dual Channel kit (2x8GB) PC19200 DDR4 (2400Mhz) Memory CL15-15-15-35 - (p/n: F4-2400C15D-16GVR)
  • Samsung 950 PRO MZ-V5P256BW - Solid state drive - encrypted - 256GB - internal - M.2 - PCI Express 3.0 x4 (NVMe) - buffer: 512 MB - 256-bit AES - (p/n: MZ-V5P256BW)
  • WD Black WD2003FZEX - Hard drive - 2TB - internal - 3.5\" - SATA-600 - 7200 rpm - buffer: 64 MB - (p/n: WD2003FZEX)
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC Gaming - Graphics card - GF GTX 1060 - 6 GB GDDR5 - PCIe 3.0 x16 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DisplayPort
  • Asus DRW-24D5MT 24x Dual Layer Multi-Format (Black) SATA DVD-Writer
  • Silverstone Strider Gold ST65F-G - 80 PLUS Gold 650W ATX Power Supply Unit
  • Cooler Master N300 (Black) Mid-Tower Case NO Power Supply Unit *Front Audio & USB
  • Viewsonic VX2457-mhd - LED monitor - 24\" (23.6\" viewable) - 1920 x 1080 Full HD - TN - 300 cd/m2 - 1000:1 - 2 ms - HDMI, VGA, DisplayPort - speakers
  • Logitech Wireless Wave Combo MK550 - Keyboard - wireless - 2.4 GHz - ergonomic - mouse - USB wireless receiver - (p/n: 920-002555)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #26 on: August 09, 2019, 12:49:03 PM
Oooh I like that list function :dd:  defo gonna use it more in future.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: August 09, 2019, 12:50:22 PM

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: August 09, 2019, 01:10:00 PM
Poncho, I'm sorry to say, that motherboard is a bit too old. :(
I don't know how cheap you will be able to find a i7 2600 for (PCPartPicker says $250 ??? ), but a last generation $100 processor paired with a brand new $60 motherboard will beat it slightly AND still have lots of upgrade life in it....
True, you'll need to buy (maybe 8GB) of DDR4, buts RAM is currently the cheapest it's ever been in 2-3 years, almost as cheap as it was in 2016. So now is a great opportunity.

I wouldn't pay much more than $50 on a new processor for a 2nd generation Intel motherboard.

That's my plan ;) another reason I am not building from scratch and brand new :D I have had this sytem for almost 8 years and although it is showing it's age occasionally, it still runs very well for what I use it for :cheers: I just want to breathe a bit of new life in it for what it's worth :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: August 09, 2019, 01:10:26 PM
Oooh I like that list function :dd:  defo gonna use it more in future.

and a very fine list of parts it is :dd: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD