Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

White Master Craftsman (Astronaut)? Yes please!

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
White Master Craftsman (Astronaut)? Yes please!
on: July 23, 2019, 07:51:39 PM
So picked up a Master Craftsman today. Tools are mint/unused but scales scratched from sliding around a draw for a couple decades...

So off to the spa and a change of clothes.

Now a pristine example of this very interesting model.  :tu:

Trying to figure out her age...pre-‘91 as no hook, but she has a chisel which appears to be unusual.

I’ve included a pic of the original scales...I can’t make sense of the dating marks. Can someone help explain them?  :dunno:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 09:10:29 PM by Max Stone »
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: White Master Craftsman? Yes please!
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 08:08:35 PM
Looks great, Max!

I'm reading the scale as 1989, either March or 'batch #3'. Could you post pics of both whole scales? There may be other marks to read on the other one.

EDIT:
And based on the age range, I'd guess that this would be an 'Astronaut' model.  Also would guess that if there are date marks on the front scale that it would be '88.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 08:21:19 PM
 :drool: :drool: :drool:
Barry

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 08:49:47 PM
Here’s a pic of the full scales...some other scratch marks visible...
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 08:55:49 PM
That is very nice, :climber:
I love alox as much as the next man but I think I prefer cellidor.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: White Master Craftsman (Astronaut)? Yes please!
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 09:24:41 PM
Thanks for the whole scale pics.  I have some decoding work to do on the unmarked 'wheels'.  I think the top 'wheel' corresponds to the (12) mark.

And in case I didn't explain enough about the '89 year on the back scale, the 'wheel' is marked for the last digit of the year. Some years, it's embossed in a circle like (85) and some of the wheels only have 3 or 4 numbers on it to indicate the direction of rotation. Some of the wheels are surrounding the small end rivet hole. (82) and (92) in the rivet hole do not (always) indicate the year.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 09:37:15 PM
So pleased you understand these marks kamakiri.  :salute:
And a big ‘thank you’ for narrowing the dates down a little.  :hatsoff: it’s especially nice to know this is an Astronaut version with the 50th moon landing just celebrated. And as an ‘89 model this is still a little bit of 30 year old history.  :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 09:40:07 PM
That is very nice, :climber:
I love alox as much as the next man but I think I prefer cellidor.

Thanks Barry, chip.  :hatsoff: I feel a little spaced-out at the moment over this little gem.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 11:37:11 PM
Very nice Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 11:41:13 PM
Thanks VICMAN  :hatsoff:

Offline srjaynes49

• New User
Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 09:51:24 PM
The date markings on the scales are actually mold dates to capture the units each mold has made. After the mold reaches its predetermined maximum, it’s changes out for a fresh one. Not normally helpful for determining date of manufacture for most molded plastic parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 09:57:40 PM
It looks an awfull lot like mine and mine is boxed as an Astronaut.
Can you make a detailed pic of the file patern?

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 11:30:22 PM
Hi Mechanickal, I think it's the 2nd gen file (1975-1990)?
20190724_231832_compress81.jpg
* 20190724_231832_compress81.jpg (Filesize: 58.32 KB)

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 11:40:28 PM
...and I had to post another pic of the back tools. This model is especially tidy with the Phillips driver and without the hook.  :tu:
20190724_233619.jpg
* 20190724_233619.jpg (Filesize: 165.15 KB)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 12:04:55 AM by Max Stone »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 12:37:56 AM
Nice shot and clean looking...also easy type to delete the keyring.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 25, 2019, 12:51:19 AM
The date markings on the scales are actually mold dates to capture the units each mold has made. After the mold reaches its predetermined maximum, it’s changes out for a fresh one. Not normally helpful for determining date of manufacture for most molded plastic parts.

I've been using it as a "knife can't have been assembled before the later scale batch date/number". IOW, an earliest possible build timeframe.  I am under the assumption that most scales sit around for (at least) several months.  And that the batch or month number changes for scales with the same year stampings. 

Or are you providing specific Victorinox procedure information?  Are the 'batch numbers' actually unit counters like 10k, or 100k? 

Scale dates do seem to correlate very well to part evolution and related chronology, when used as the 'not earlier than' limit.

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 03, 2019, 04:16:14 AM
Oh my.....another victim of the Master Craftsman scourge, so sorry 😛.  There is a 12 step program for this somewhere but certainly not on this site.  Looks to be in very nice shape and those white scales certainly don’t detract.  Trick will be stopping at one 😜.  My 1st two were 84mm, quite by accident, and then on to “bigger” things.  I carry one of the 84mm knives most days.  Enjoy..... :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #17 on: August 03, 2019, 04:47:50 AM
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :like: :like: :like:. My dream stash of knives!!
Barry

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #18 on: August 03, 2019, 04:52:05 AM
Beautiful tool with the white scales! Very classy! :drool:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #19 on: August 03, 2019, 08:50:30 AM
That’s a nice collection Boonies. Better keep those locked up  :pok:

Thanks Boonies, GLBM, turned out very nicely.  :hatsoff: I’m trying to be a little selective on scale swaps. Doing all my CyberTools solid blue, and not too worried about trying different scales on a few Spartans. The white did turn out nicely on the Astronaut.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 03, 2019, 04:36:52 PM
Certainly looks good in white - mine dates from 1981 when I bought it with the first 2 weeks pay from shelf stacking in Tesco past time when I was 16 - scales were a little scuffed, so I swapped them for some blue + models a year or so back

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #21 on: August 03, 2019, 05:26:10 PM
That does look good Rizio. Great to see it still loved almost 40 years on.  :like:
I’ve found some solid blue plus scales that I’m using on my CyberTools.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 04, 2019, 09:48:39 AM
Thanks, Max! Took it everywhere back in the days when no one thought you’d take over a plane with a SAK.... only repair it needed was to the scissor screw ( quick belt with a small nail punch did the trick) and replacement of the scissor spring which was done while I waited at a Vic store in Berne. When I bought it, I was sure the box said “astronaut”, but the Wiki would suggest my memory is faulty (sadly, box got thrown out with other stuff of no value when I left home!) - I picked it mainly for the Philips head which was handy for adjusting many screws on my bicycle (Campag nuovo record anyone?!), and the slot has been used to open up the odd can missing its key (not seen one of those for years!). Now lives in retirement with an ever expanding collection (cough, cough) a common complaint round here....! :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #23 on: August 04, 2019, 10:10:01 AM
Thanks for sharing Rizio. It’s great to have a direct history, makes the SAK all the more valuable to the owner.  :salute: I like the clean lines of the older Astronaut, without the hook and still with the full-height liners between each tool, before they trimmed them back to stop the saw teeth catching. Just looks overall much neater when closed.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: August 04, 2019, 10:40:17 AM
Excuse me, Max!
I forgot about your thread here. I'll get into that file surface ASAP for you!

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #25 on: August 04, 2019, 01:27:10 PM
No hassle Mechanickal. The Space Shuttle program is cancelled so my Astronaut’s not going anywhere soon.  :pok:

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #26 on: August 04, 2019, 01:33:59 PM
Or the Victorinox Titanium Sky High watch. It comes with a WHITE Craftsman.
The price is a little bit high, but you get a watch plus a white Craftman!
No, it's not in my collection.
Sky High Craftsman Knipsel.jpg
* Sky High Craftsman Knipsel.jpg (Filesize: 164.23 KB)

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #27 on: August 04, 2019, 03:59:11 PM
Yes, I think I saw it in a watch shop window once...no interest in the watch, but the SAK is nice! Thanks EMZ.  :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $160.46
PayPal Fees: $9.45
Net Balance: $151.01
Below Goal: $148.99
Site Currency: USD
50%