Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pioneer Blade Thickness

il Offline israelpiper

Pioneer Blade Thickness
on: August 04, 2019, 01:47:22 PM
Pioneer Blade Thickness vs. Regular 91mm Models

Anyone wanting a definitely more robust blade than found on most 91mm Victorinox models,
go for the Pioneer line. Pioneer X w/scissors, or Farmer w/saw. For Bushcrafting and whittling
I love the extra heft. The back-spring is a bit stronger, too. Maybe thicker, though I can't put my
hands on my calipers right now.

Of all the reviews of the Pioneer that I have watched or read, only one actually mentioned the
more robust blade. A great selling point for a serious small knife user.

Basic Pioneer, as the Soldier Knife, did last a half-century or so in the Swiss military.   

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Pioneer Blade Thickness
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 02:42:36 PM
That's a good point, maybe more commonly known to all SAK enthusiasts, but it's a good point for new buyer for reference.

Another point is even within 91mm family, new and older blade has different thickness as well.  The older blade, AFAIK, should be 0.4mm thicker than the new blade and has different liner than the modern 91mm SAKs.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 03:06:28 PM
Good post Piper  :salute: I'd add that the bottle opener is larger and thicker than on the 91mm - even more useful for prying

The crowning tool in the 93mm range for me is the in-line awl - brilliant
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 04:15:49 PM
Another point is even within 91mm family, new and older blade has different thickness as well.  The older blade, AFAIK, should be 0.4mm thicker than the new blade and has different liner than the modern 91mm SAKs.
Only the tang was 0.4mm thicker. In my opinion, I doubt that makes the blade stronger, if the spine was not thicker.
Some say it looks nicer with the thick tang, and I can understand that.

The new liner is definitely stronger than the old one (again, in my opinion), as I understand that aluminium plate with stamped indents is stronger than the same aluminium plate with no indents.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 10:06:25 PM
I was surprised at how thick the blade was when I got my first alox Soldier.

All the tools are beefier than those in the 91mm range. The flat SD was beefier still when it had the cutting edge and no wire stripper notch.

The Pioneer/Soldier is a fantastic general purpose knife, really well thought out and engineered.  :salute:

I agree! Wish it was available as standard in the other large size ranges.
Rambler

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 10:17:57 PM
Only the tang was 0.4mm thicker. In my opinion, I doubt that makes the blade stronger, if the spine was not thicker.

The new liner is definitely stronger than the old one (again, in my opinion), as I understand that aluminium plate with stamped indents is stronger than the same aluminium plate with no indents.

The old tang looks better to me. But that's all, as I've never seen a blade broken off at the tang, whether thick or thinner.

I'd like to see a newer stamped liner and its indents. I have a Climber with an obvious indent right at the end of the liner where it meets the large blade. There's a small notch between the liner and the scale. I've always wondered it it was a manufacturing flaw since none of my other thinner tang knives have it.
Rambler

us Offline Intorikata

Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 11:20:43 PM
The tool thickness was one of the reasons my first adult SAKs were alox. Too bad they're not still called "Sturdy Boy." 😎

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 11:33:12 PM
The old tang looks better to me. But that's all, as I've never seen a blade broken off at the tang, whether thick or thinner.

I'd like to see a newer stamped liner and its indents. I have a Climber with an obvious indent right at the end of the liner where it meets the large blade. There's a small notch between the liner and the scale. I've always wondered it it was a manufacturing flaw since none of my other thinner tang knives have it.
I had some loose specimens... :cheers:
Blade side (top) and scale side (bottom)
rsz_burst20190804222814864_cover.jpg
* rsz_burst20190804222814864_cover.jpg (Filesize: 109.34 KB)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 12:25:28 AM
Thanks, Don Pablo. They’re way different to the old outside liners! Gotta be stronger, as you say. And it shows the notch in my Climber really is a flaw.

Your photo really needs to be in some reference place.
 :cheers:
Rambler

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 02:05:32 AM
The notch is there for purposes of compensating for tang thickness... The moon shaped indentation is for purposes of allowing more room for the tools to open and close...

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 08:04:19 AM

Ahh...good point :hatsoff: , I need to do more precise measurement on both to see whether the blade thickness might be different as well.

Good post Piper  :salute: I'd add that the bottle opener is larger and thicker than on the 91mm - even more useful for prying

The prying tool is definitely another great point, and those who loves the awl will find the 93mm awl quite satisfying. :tu:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 10:15:15 PM
The notch is there for purposes of compensating for tang thickness... The moon shaped indentation is for purposes of allowing more room for the tools to open and close...

The evolution of all these parts are all for cost savings.  The outer liners have been stamped for decades and adding the half moon indentations cost less than the stainless saved from narrowing the tang and backspring another 0.4mm.  And I say another, because it was reduced again, decades earlier from 2.7mm to 2.4mm. The stampings on the outer liners were used for increased tool clearance even back then.  They were made even more pronounced with the 2.0mm tang change out of necessity to retain the required clearance.

The newer liners aren't more rigid or stronger, IMO, and will be more prone to wobble as the tools age. The main 'benefit' of the half moon indent is reduced friction for opening and closing action. It also does prevent oil from migrating all over the place and helps keep it near the pivot. Modern knives shouldn't stick or lock up with age like older knives would.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%