Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Revisiting the Deluxe Tinker

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Revisiting the Deluxe Tinker
on: August 03, 2019, 05:28:56 AM
A Tourist was the first Swiss knife I ever tried. It taught me an important lesson - a Swiss knife without scissors is incomplete. In a short space of time, I upgraded to a Deluxe Tinker.

I carried that knife for several months, and it served me well. However, at that time I needed more capable pliers, and started getting into pliers based tools. This rendered the Deluxe Tinker less suited to my needs, so I traded it away, and my broader exploration of Swiss knives began. I tried all the common sizes, from 58mm to 130mm, and found some great tools along the way. Eventually, I figured out that the best formulas for me, tended to be Climber-esque knives, paired with a 4" pliers tool with a decent Phillips.

Since my life became more sedantry due to health reasons, I found that carrying a pliers tool was unnecessary for the vast majority of the time. I didn't want to lose pliers function altogether though, and tended to veer towards lighter pliers tools, or just rely on the Gerber Dime on my house keys.

I've now gone full circle, and got myself another Deluxe Tinker to replace the one I traded away years ago. Although I only got my hands on it a few hours ago, I'm already remembering what a bloody good tool it is. I think this one knife by itself, will handle most of the things I encounter week to week. There'll still be times when I reach for the pliers tools, but that'll be for specific reasons rather than just regular daily carry. There'll be times when I fancy carrying a traditional slippie instead, and will pair that with a small pliers tool and a pair of nail clippers. But for the majority of the time, I think that one tool could do everything I need.

Some don't like the backspring Phillips. I've chuntered about it from time to time too. For the most part, I'll only be nipping loose screws though, not trying to release stubborn ones, or working on ones in confined spaces. The "Super Tweezer" pliers are now relevant again too. I might be pulling a bit more wick through on a Zippo, not pulling huge turnings from my work boots. I'll not be gripping seized nuts or hydraulic fittings, or trying to straighten out some machine guarding that got bent, just trying to grab that little pull tab on a carton of fruit juice that always gets lodge under the flip top, or trying to pull a needle through a bit of leather for making a little knife pouch.

The tool hasn't changed since I traded the other one away, but I have, and I expect this one stopping with me a lot longer

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Revisiting the Deluxe Tinker
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 05:51:06 AM
I just got one about a month ago and I am looking forward to putting it to work.  It's a larger knife, along the lines of the Master Craftsman, but I'm a big fan of the pliers and Philips Head screwdriver.  Great post AW!
Barry

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 05:56:35 AM
Interesting thoughts AW - Nice post - especially the closing line!

Definitely backs up the "one size does not fit all"   MT/EDC theory

us Online Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 06:29:15 AM
I’ve frequently wondered just how useful the SAK pliers are.  I do not frequently need pliers, so the deluxe tinker intrigues me. 

us Offline Archibald Tuttle

Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 08:06:23 AM
A good quality SAK is limited more by our experience, expectation and creativity, than we are limited by the SAK.  A Deluxe Tinker lives up to it's moniker. Great post.  :cheers:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 08:07:45 AM
Great post!  :tu:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline dlew919

Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 08:50:36 AM
I live the tinkers. The deluxe is one of my edcs. The other is the compact. It depends on what I think I’ll be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 09:01:16 AM
Nice thread - The 3 Tinker models keep the 91mm range with Phillips alive...there used to be a lot more, now only 6. I also view the pliers more as ‘super tweezers’ than what I’d use my LMs for.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 01:45:11 PM
As a relatively new Fan of the Fieldmaster, I can see one in my future, losing the saw for small pliers would fit
 :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 02:02:56 PM
Thanks guys  :salute:

Today's post had a couple of packages, and the knife was needed for opening them, and the scissors needed to open up the packets withing without damaging the contents. Once the contents were all out, a pendant loop needed tightening a little, and the pliers handled that fine.

If I wasn't such a fickle and restless individual, this might be The One  :P

... although I might pop some plus scales on it  :whistle:

es Offline Aligator

Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 02:39:17 PM

I started to get interested in him not being able to get an angler deluxe.
A greeting
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 03:28:48 PM by Aligator »

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 02:51:58 PM
A Tourist was the first Swiss knife I ever tried. It taught me an important lesson - a Swiss knife without scissors is incomplete.
I enjoyed your topic and the replies so far.  About scissors, I didn't know how useful they are.  My first SAK, a Camper, didn't have them, so I didn't know what I was missing.
Now any knife that I consider an EDC has to have scissors.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 03:10:40 PM
I’ve frequently wondered just how useful the SAK pliers are.  I do not frequently need pliers, so the deluxe tinker intrigues me.

The SAK pliers are really good if you see them more as super sturdy tweezers than pliers. They are fine enough to grab and pull a hair if need be  :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 03:13:17 PM
Last night I thought I was finally settled and happy with my SAK options. Now that I read this post I want a smaller SAK with pliers. Thx guys. This forum is one slippery slope down the rabbit hole  :facepalm: :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2019, 03:18:41 PM
The DT has become my new favorite fishing knife.

The pliers are not hugely robust, but they work nicely for Mountain trout fishing. Crimp the barb on a hook, remove a hook from an incautious fish or fisherman, big tweezers with some oomph. I really like having them in the pocket, along with scissors and blade.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2019, 03:19:23 PM
I enjoyed your topic and the replies so far.  About scissors, I didn't know how useful they are.  My first SAK, a Camper, didn't have them, so I didn't know what I was missing.

This.  :iagree:

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #16 on: August 03, 2019, 03:25:18 PM
I've been a Tinker guy forever. At home it's an old Tinker in my pocket. Away it's a Deluxe Tinker in a belt pouch. Can't be without my Tinker - IMHO the most useful model that Vic makes.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 03, 2019, 03:42:55 PM

The thing that made me recognise the scissor deficiency problems so early, was that I'd got myself a Swisstool CS Plus when I was still carrying the Tourist. I got really frustrated with having to keep getting the pliers tool out of my bag, instead of just using the knife in my pocket. Once I got the Deluxe Tinkier, all that hassle went away.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #18 on: August 03, 2019, 04:52:17 PM
 :like: Exactly what I had in mind!
I look at the pliers as handy forceps.  I've used them for all kinds of things, and found that they are sure handy to have aboard.  The DT is a Craftsman Light :D

(Image removed from quote.)

The pliers are not hugely robust, but they work nicely for Mountain trout fishing. Crimp the barb on a hook, remove a hook from an incautious fish or fisherman, big tweezers with some oomph. I really like having them in the pocket, along with scissors and blade.
Barry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 03, 2019, 06:07:39 PM

Cool pic Nix! :like: :tu: :tu:

The Deluxe Tinker is a great EDC!

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #20 on: August 03, 2019, 06:13:02 PM
Having had a "Super Timekeeper" as my first SAK, and trying out numerous other patterns, I can also say that the Deluxe Tinker has the right combination of tools to get me through the day also.  Certainly, not the perfect tool, but for me, it's as close as I can find.
deluxe tinker.jpg
* deluxe tinker.jpg (Filesize: 305.26 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #21 on: August 03, 2019, 06:15:01 PM
Nice pic Pitcarver!
Barry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #23 on: August 03, 2019, 07:32:02 PM
:like: Exactly what I had in mind!
I look at the pliers as handy forceps.  I've used them for all kinds of things, and found that they are sure handy to have aboard.  The DT is a Craftsman Light :D

Any opinion on the difference between the Vic and Wenger pliers?

I am not sure which I like more; the Vic's are more sturdy but the Wenger's have a wider capacity for usage as the jaws open further and have the nice slip joint.

Recently I started to carry the S557 as the toolset is handy for quick adjustments on my mower and edger when working on my lawn.

-Wes.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #24 on: August 03, 2019, 11:04:28 PM
Wes, I feel that the Vic pliers are beefier, but I love the slip joint pliers of the Wenger better.  For what they are, the Vic pliers are also ever so slightly more pointed. My son has a Wenger Tradesman, and I have several Vic's with pliers so I've experienced both.  That being said, I'm a late to the game Wenger lover!
Barry

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: August 04, 2019, 03:32:52 AM
Any opinion on the difference between the Vic and Wenger pliers?

I am not sure which I like more; the Vic's are more sturdy but the Wenger's have a wider capacity for usage as the jaws open further and have the nice slip joint.

Recently I started to carry the S557 as the toolset is handy for quick adjustments on my mower and edger when working on my lawn.

-Wes.

I prefer the sturdier Victorinox pliers. The Wenger style is OK, but if I needed a larger jaw capacity, I tended to need something more robust. I liked the ones on the 130mmm line though.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 05, 2019, 04:05:52 AM
+ 1 on the Vic plier preference. 

c.'89 DT with v2 pliers (no spring slot and no crimper) and can key, no hook.  With DT 'cousin' Matterhorn - essentially a DT with 60% serrated main blade.

Still want to build one of these with v1 2.5mm pliers...But a Troubleshooter version is ahead of it.  Stainless MS and thin pliers.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%