Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Compact

gb Offline Pattas29

Victorinox Compact
on: February 19, 2016, 01:34:08 PM
I have just purchased one of these and hope to have it next week.

Was just wondering about peoples opinion of it ie not enough tools, best knife I have ever owned etc

Cheers

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: Victorinox Compact
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 01:46:57 PM
Combo tool :td:
No small blade :td:
Plus scales :2tu:
Hook with file :2tu:

If you have to stick to 2 layers, Spartan or Tinker are better, IMO.  Climber/Super Tinker even more so.

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 01:48:52 PM
I have a Super tinker in red which I like but thought I would try this out.

is the combo tool that bad??

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 01:52:54 PM
No, it's not that bad.  It's a great little flat driver and bottle opener, an OK phillips and can opener and a rubbish pry bar.  Worst of all, it's not the small blade.  I'd much rather have the small blade and separate openers.

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 02:04:52 PM
I like this SAK, but not for a stand alone SAK unless I'm going with my car (there always a toolbox with dedicated tools in it).

If I'm going to carry only one SAK, it will be Deluxe Tinker or the Manager. Mostly when I carry my Spirit, I always pair it with the Compact (nice scissors and helpful scale tools only in 2 layers SAK).

For me I found the combo tool works great. Open a  bottle cap easier and have no problem to open a can.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:08:00 PM by classicrock »
-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 02:14:27 PM
I also have a Deluxe Tinker which I tend to carry with a sheath but my main carry is my Alox Soldier which I love. Just wondering if the addition of scissors can knock it out of my pocket.

No other model has be successful ha ha

us Offline mrog

Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 02:24:41 PM
I love the Compact. Wish it was 84mm. I personally love the Combo tool more than the opener layer. It's a better can opener for me. It's actually a better pry bar for me most of the time too, because it fits in between cracks of stuff easier. I don't really pry too much with a small pocket knife anyways.

I will always take corkscrew + mini driver over the back Phillips too. Phillips are on my Leatherman, at my house, at work, at my friends, at most stores, etc. Corkscrew + mini driver are much more rare tools. I like wine. Opening a bottle of wine or fixing glasses or electronics is more likely to truly save the day in comparison to a screw. The Phillips on the back also fails to reach half the time due to the handle being in the way from either reaching or rotating.
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read."

it Offline Trix

Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 05:38:23 PM
Well I just bought a compact in red and ... I love it! I can use one of the scissors as an awl if I really need to... scissors, tweezers and nailfile covers my trimming needs and combo tool, blade and corckscrew covers everything about the food; pen and mini screwdriver comes in handy sometimes too! I don't care about the screwdrivers missing because at the end it's a knife and I always have my trusty swisschamp at home but this ... I think I found the perfect edc knife !!! I will buy others 2 for spare!  :climber:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 05:42:23 PM
IMO The Compact is very nice tool when combined with a Farmer.
On its own, it´s a good urban carry.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 06:14:55 PM
I love the Compact; if I could only have one SAK it would be a Compact or its 84 mm Golfer cousin.  I do prefer a real cap lifter to the combo tool, but it's a small complaint.  Fortunately, we don't have to pick just one SAK, so I typically carry a Cadet or Pioneer and keep a Yeoman or Compact handy somewhere nearby.  Can't live without scissors.

Myron

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 08:39:51 PM
The Compact is one of my favorite EDC SAKs.  It lost out a couple of years ago to the Pioneer X, but it is hard to beat all the functionality packed into a 2 layer 91mm.  To each his own, as illustrated by the different posts, but it is worth consideration by anyone wanting a light weight EDC.
- Steve

it Offline Trix

Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 09:56:08 PM
Yes, each one of us has different needs and there's a SAK for all  :D anyway I removed the keyring with 2 thin files and finished with sandpaper 150 and 400. It looks like factory made and has a better look in my opinion!
image1 (2).JPG
* image1 (2).JPG (Filesize: 132.05 KB)
image2 (2).JPG
* image2 (2).JPG (Filesize: 126.91 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 01:11:28 AM
I think if the corkscrew got switched for a Philips it would be almost perfect,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 01:42:32 AM
The Compact is a GREAT EDC!  :ahhh

I'd like to see an awl in the tool set, but otherwise it meets most of my daily uses. I like the Compact so much, I begged and pleaded with Syph007 to make me a Compacter--scissors, knife, in-line awl in an Alox package. That's not quite as versatile as a PX, but it is super easy to carry in any attire.

The combo tool is adequate for can opening/cap lifting, but is not as handy as a full opener layer for use as a driver. Still, it's better than no opener whatsoever. Right? 

If you really need a driver or two on a daily basis, slip a Rebar or Spirit in a pocket. Otherwise, I think you'll find the Compact covers most of what we carry a knife for, and then some.  :tu:

de Offline Shuya

Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 09:09:46 AM
Its the Mrs. default SAK since she wanted a slim knife with scissors. She really likes it, and because I am with her on most tours there is no need for more tools on her side (since I got plenty  :whistle:)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 09:25:51 AM
Exactly!
The Compact is a GREAT EDC!  :ahhh

I'd like to see an awl in the tool set, but otherwise it meets most of my daily uses. I like the Compact so much, I begged and pleaded with Syph007 to make me a Compacter--scissors, knife, in-line awl in an Alox package. That's not quite as versatile as a PX, but it is super easy to carry in any attire.

The combo tool is adequate for can opening/cap lifting, but is not as handy as a full opener layer for use as a driver. Still, it's better than no opener whatsoever. Right? 

If you really need a driver or two on a daily basis, slip a Rebar or Spirit in a pocket. Otherwise, I think you'll find the Compact covers most of what we carry a knife for, and then some.  :tu:
Barry

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 11:55:38 AM
I’m with the “it’s a great EDC” - probably spent more time in my pocket than any other SAK - got this one in 1991 (called the Golfer then) & only had the scissors repaired in 2014 for free at the London store. Pen came in very useful on many occasions! Here it is sporting emerald scales which put on it 2015 - now in semi-retirement as PXs tend to get more pocket time, or a soldier 84 which is one of my favourites!

it Offline Trix

Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 09:39:29 PM
Rizio it's beautiful with those emerald green scales! So the scissors worked well from 1991 to 2014? I always ask myself if I could sharpen the scissors with the Fallkniven dc3 stone... do you guys have any tips to mantain the scissors always sharp?

Anyway today I noticed that the liner next to the combo tool it's not straight, it's like bent, do you notice the same on your compacts or it is just mine?
image1 (3).JPG
* image1 (3).JPG (Filesize: 125.86 KB)

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 12:53:58 AM
Anyway today I noticed that the liner next to the combo tool it's not straight, it's like bent, do you notice the same on your compacts or it is just mine?

The liner it's not "bent"... It's just the liner's natural soft curve from end to end, for the tools to fit without touching each other. All the models are like that.
The reason we notice that small gap on the back scale more on the plus scales it's the combination of that soft curve on the liner and the pen slot with the pen inside. Because the pen is straight and stiff it will "lift" or"straighten" the back scale a little bit on that spot, and the result is the small gap you see.
If you take the pen out and look at it from that angle you'll see that gap is smaller cause the scale will follow the curvature of the liner better without the pen inside.

All my Compacts are like that. A Climber i've put plus scales on is like that too.
I hate to see any kind of gaps between the scales and the liners but this one is minute. Same as the one you generally see on the front scale from the tweezers pushing that part upwards ;) 
No biggie...  :D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 01:01:45 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 03:52:34 PM
Thanks, Trix! For sharpening scissors, I tend to use the slicing up sheets of wet&dry or fine sandpaper to bring back the edge - suspect I’d overdo it and remove too much material with a whetstone!

us Offline knifecoop

Reply #20 on: August 14, 2019, 04:41:09 PM
I sharpen my SAK's scissors with a spyderco white ceramic triangle stone, works great.
Cheers!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD