Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Flair in need of some TLC ... (PIC HEAVY !!)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Leatherman Flair in need of some TLC ... (PIC HEAVY !!)
on: September 30, 2019, 09:30:15 PM
Tittle says it all, I finally got myself a Leatherman Flair  :D.

I bought the old girl on a Belgian second hand site (after a heads up from my fellow countryman Nick, thank you Mechy  :salute:).  Turned out the seller lives about 4km away from where I work, and since these only pop up over here once in a blue moon (or even less) I had to go for it.  Sold some stuff (no tools, just household stuff and baby clothes) to get a bit of extra tool money and went for it.

The seller had two of them, and since I was the first to react I got first choice.  It was a tough choice, since both had some good and some bad points.  But on one of them, the blade was chipped quite badly, and "sharpened" by someone who had no clue what he was doing and it had a lot of rust on the gripping part of the plierhead.  The other had a blade that looked brand new, the gripping part of the plierhead was rustfree, but the pivots from the plierhead and even more, the ones from the inside tools had some serious rust issues, on one side it was so bad that I couldn't open the tools, and when I finally got them open, the small flathead was so rusted that it formed one tool with the Phillips, and it took a lot of work to get them apart.

I spend half a day working on it and got to a point that it couldn't get any better without opening it up, so I stopped for now and will see how it holds up.  If the rust gets worse again, I'll probably disassemble it and hope for the best ...

Anyway, here are the "before" pics:

Doesn't look too bad now, does it ... ? But wait ...

I'm sure some of you have seen a lot worse than this, but for me, this was a first ...

So, here are the "after" pics:

Like I said, it could be better, but not without taking it apart.  For now, there's still some brown stuff in the pivot points, and some black spots in places were there was heavy rust.  But I'm going to sleep on it for a couple of days (figure of speech) and then decide to keep it as it is for now, or to take it apart.

Either way, I finally have a Flair  :woohoo:.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman Flair in need of some TLC ... (PIC HEAVY !!)
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 09:38:23 PM
I would take it apart and get rid of all the rust. If you don't want to do that it should get an oil  or WD40 soak.

se Offline RF52

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 09:39:46 PM
Good job, looks great :like: :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 10:04:22 PM
I would take it apart and get rid of all the rust. If you don't want to do that it should get an oil  or WD40 soak.

Already did an oil soak (in a type of corrosion dissolver I use on my mountainbike chain), it looks like it loosened up all the rust, turning it into this brown fluid, but it keeps showing up when you open and/or close the tools.  Same thing happens on my BO Swisstool, that I bought new at the Victorinox Factory in Switzerland  ::).  (That's why the nice lady at the counter didn't want to sell me a BO Swisstool at first, she said I didn't want that, I wanted a Stainless version and the BO ones are for Military use only, since they are "dirty"  :D).

But indeed, when I take it apart, I can clean up all that brown goo in no time ...  :think:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 10:05:14 PM
Good job, looks great :like: :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Thanks mate  :cheers:.

I'm already happy with it, but maybe I should take it a step further ...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 10:55:29 PM
Great job and congrats.  For peace of mind you'll likely have to take it apart  ;).  I've had some bad ones and after soaks they still bleed the brown stuff.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 12:04:58 AM
Glad you got a Flair, TG :tu: and great job on the restoration  :cheers: but you will fill better after it is apart and completely cleaned :whistle: :D

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 03:11:03 AM
T-G,

Congrats on the Flair!
I also received mine in very poor condition. It required complete disassembly and a new combo edge blade. At first, I just bought a PE blade from the MT.o store. Later I bought a used PSTII to carry and swapped the perfect PST combo blade into the Flair. It is 98% perfect now. Only thing I could not fix was two pin head sized pits under the opener piece. Otherwise it polished up nicely.

Because of the work and effort involved in turning a $5 Flair into a collection example, it is one of my most treasured MT collectables. :)

I think you'll feel good about your Flair once it is good enough for you to enjoy. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 08:57:54 AM
G'Day,

Nice job on that. I have to agree with Steve, take it apart and clean it all out. Then at least there is no worries about rust coming back.

How bad is the blade? The rest of the tools looks pretty decent though.

The biggest problem with older Flairs are broken back springs from the cork screw. That cannot be fixed at all. When I bought one like that, I knew of it beforehand and used it as a  bargaining chip to get a good price. I already had a mod in my head and fitted a PST II file in there. You also have some spares then to fix one that needs it.

Cheers, Pete

ro Offline Raoul Octav

Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 11:57:53 AM
looks great. for opening you'll need those tools made by Loki-mobile.
Instead of soaking it in oil, try to leave it in Vinegar, for 24h. it will eat all the rust away. Make sure it's completely dipped.
Than wash with soap and hot water, and after that lube it good.
Sanger's laws:

-any problem has more than one resolve!

-by the way you look at the problem, the resolve may change!

-where's a will there's a way !

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 12:47:36 PM
G'Day,

Nice job on that. I have to agree with Steve, take it apart and clean it all out. Then at least there is no worries about rust coming back.

How bad is the blade? The rest of the tools looks pretty decent though.

The biggest problem with older Flairs are broken back springs from the cork screw. That cannot be fixed at all. When I bought one like that, I knew of it beforehand and used it as a  bargaining chip to get a good price. I already had a mod in my head and fitted a PST II file in there. You also have some spares then to fix one that needs it.

Cheers, Pete

The blade is like new, it was the blade on the other Flair that was chipped and ruined by bad sharpening.  I thought I'd rather deal with some extra rust than go searching for a replacement blade  ;).

Edit: The back spring of the cork screw seems to be in great shape, no rust at all and it has quite a strong SAK-like snap when you close the cork screw.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 12:55:12 PM
looks great. for opening you'll need those tools made by Loki-mobile.
Instead of soaking it in oil, try to leave it in Vinegar, for 24h. it will eat all the rust away. Make sure it's completely dipped.
Than wash with soap and hot water, and after that lube it good.

I already have the Leatherman keys from Loki-mobile  :D.

I thought about vinegar but I was afraid that it could damage the "gold colored" parts.  I've used vinegar in the past on old medieval and Roman  coins that I found with my metal detector, worked great on some, destroyed others...  ::)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 01:03:39 AM
I wouldn't risk the vinegar either.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 01:37:08 AM
I already have the Leatherman keys from Loki-mobile  :D.

I thought about vinegar but I was afraid that it could damage the "gold colored" parts.  I've used vinegar in the past on old medieval and Roman  coins that I found with my metal detector, worked great on some, destroyed others...  ::)
Metal detecting...very nice! Mine is a Whites VX3 that I just picked up last year.  :like:  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%