Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for UK legal multitool with a bit holder

dinth · 16 · 2381

Offline dinth

Looking for UK legal multitool with a bit holder
on: August 13, 2019, 04:08:49 PM
Hey. Im new here, as i have created my account to ask you for your opinion.
Im a happy owner of Leatherman Wave, unfortunately i cannot legally carry it in the UK . Im an IT engineer and while different tools included in Wave are very helpful at my work, i couldn't justify why exactly do i need a 3in locking blade on my way to/from work.

So basically, im looking for a multitool which would have:
- a non-locking, <3in blade - can be smaller, i actually only use it for opening parcels, cardboard boxes and cutting off electric cables.
- pliers
- 1/4" bit holder (to use with different kinds of hex, pentalobe, etc bits)

I found few options here:
- Gerber Balance - it would seem to be almost perfect tool if the bit holder would hold 1/4" bits. Unfortunately non-standard bits are huge turn off.
- Leatherman Juice CS4 together with Leatherman bit holder - but im little bit worried if it would be sturdy enough. Ive seen reviews saying that tools tend to get little bit wobbly. Ive seen reviews saying that the bit holder doesnt fit the screwdriver very well. Obviously after years of usage, things will get even looser.   
- Older Leathermans with Leatherman bit holder - those are hardly available in the UK.
- Victorinox Cybertool - bits are non-standard, although it is possible to get third party ones. I will never use many of the tools included. Im also not a big of swiss knife form factor.

Do you have any advice regarding this choice, or maybe you know other devices i should consider?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 06:39:50 PM by dinth »

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: Looking for UK legal multitool with a bit holder
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 05:25:49 PM
Maybe Leatherman Kick with Gerber Tool Kit that should cover your needs

Only Tools Matters

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 05:32:04 PM
A Bladeless Gerber MP600 with separate folder?

Remove the liner lock from your Wave?

Remove the blades from your Wave and add a separate folder?

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 05:35:12 PM
Heres my Kick with adapter, adapter accepts all 1/4” bits

Only Tools Matters

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 05:37:42 PM
From Instructables.com:
Description on turning a Charge/Wave UK legal without damaging the tool.
The solution to block the linerlock is quite simple - yet I have not found it documented anywhere.

There are two copper washers, one of each side of the blade. So heat the screw (to soften the red Locktite inside the screw) and unscrew it (first photo).

Take out the blade and the two washers. Both washers are of different outer Diameter, as shown in the second photo. The bigger one is originally located between the blade and the outside of the handle. The smaller one is originally located between the blade and the inner side of the handle (where the linerlock is located).

Switch the washers - place the bigger on where the linerlock is (third photo), then the blade and the smaller washer on top. It is a bit funbling, as you have to press down the linerlock to put the smaller washer on top and then the outer part of the handle. Eventually put some Locktite on the screw and screw everythin together again.

Voila - as shown in the last photo, the bigger copper washer blocks the linerlock but still exercises enough pressure to prvent the blade from accidentially opening in your pocket (or wherever else).

Best of it - you can undo the mod within minutes if it is no longer required (I will change it back and enable the linerlock once I'm back from UK). It should also work with many other Leatherman multitools.

PS: Don't Forget that the tool has two blades, so repeat it on the serrated blade!

Offline dinth

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 05:41:58 PM
Maybe Leatherman Kick with Gerber Tool Kit that should cover your needs

Hold on, will Gerber Tool Kit work with Leatherman multitools? Is it better than Leathermans own adapter?

Remove the liner lock from your Wave?
Remove the blades from your Wave and add a separate folder?

I heard that removing the lock can be dangerous, as locking mechanism does not only prevent the blade from closing, but also, prevents it from opening.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 05:44:08 PM
1) The CRKT Getaway Driver will allow the Gerber Balance to take full sized hex bits.

2) There's a Gerber hex bit adapter that could be used with a Bladeless MP600.

3) Add a Victorinox hex wrench and bit carrier to your tool array

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 07:12:57 PM
Hold on, will Gerber Tool Kit work with Leatherman multitools? Is it better than Leathermans own adapter?

Yea it works allmost all with square phillips. I prefer more this than LM own adapter cause this accepts all 1/4” bits and it doesnt wobble

Only Tools Matters

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 07:52:05 PM
Heres my Kick with adapter, adapter accepts all 1/4” bits
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Only Tools Matters

The leatherman kick would still be breaking the law in the uk as far as I am aware as despite not having a lock once you deploy the blade and close the handles the handles stop the blade closing.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 07:54:41 PM
I carry a cs4 when I am not carrying a bag and a bladeless rebar with a bit Kit and victorinox bantam when I am.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

Offline dinth

Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 08:47:07 PM
A Bladeless Gerber MP600 with separate folder?

Actually im adding MP600 to my list. Its a shame that it doesnt have any cutter at all, not even a belt cutter, but im hugely impressed by swappable saw. 

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 08:57:14 PM
Actually im adding MP600 to my list. Its a shame that it doesnt have any cutter at all, not even a belt cutter, but im hugely impressed by swappable saw.
You did see the modding instructions I posted that would turn your Wave UK legal without damage, right?

Offline dinth

Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 10:26:31 PM
You did see the modding instructions I posted that would turn your Wave UK legal without damage, right?

Yes, i have. I will look into it as soon as security torxes will arrive. Modding my existing Wave will be a fifth option :)

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 04:39:18 AM
If you can find a LM PST, PSTII, Sideclip, etc. and a Leatherman old style adapter they will fit your needs and are much stronger than tool-based adapters.  Easier on the tools since the adapter uses the handles.  Blades are less than 3”.  Pictured is a Sideclip, PST’s are easier to find.  Even the flat 2D bits for your Wave work with this adapter.      :cheers:

Offline dinth

Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 07:28:08 PM
From Instructables.com:
Description on turning a Charge/Wave UK legal without damaging the tool.
Unfortunately it doesnt seem to work.
Wave has only one washer which is already on same side as locking mechanism and its too small to hold it open.

If you can find a LM PST, PSTII, Sideclip, etc. and a Leatherman old style adapter they will fit your needs and are much stronger than tool-based adapters.  Easier on the tools since the adapter uses the handles.  Blades are less than 3”.  Pictured is a Sideclip, PST’s are easier to find.  Even the flat 2D bits for your Wave work with this adapter.      :cheers:
But are blades not locking? Unfortunately my biggest worry is not the size of blades (my Wave is also shorter than 3"), but locking mechanism

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 08:40:20 PM
Unfortunately it doesnt seem to work.
Wave has only one washer which is already on same side as locking mechanism and its too small to hold it open.
But are blades not locking? Unfortunately my biggest worry is not the size of blades (my Wave is also shorter than 3"), but locking mechanism

The three that I mentioned are not considered “locking” blades but I am not familar with UK knife laws.  If the closed handles constitutes a lock (blades open from the inside) then you will need a outside opening blade without a lock.  The Leatherman Juice series will work for this and both the older and newer Leatherman adapters will work with the Juice series, the newer Universal adapter being a little more tidy.  The Juice Pro and XE6 work best but all models will work, just a.little more wobble on the thinner models.  All are quite functional.

Original adapter on the left and Universal adapter on the right...... :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD