Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The orange peeler

it Offline shadowrider

The orange peeler
on: August 14, 2019, 11:03:17 PM
If you're like me, chances are you've found yourself staring puzzled at your Minichamp or Executive, thinking: Why an orange peeler? Who on Earth (or in Ibach, Switzerland, actually) would come up with the idea to add such a bizzarre tool to a pocket knife? I know that on the 58mm line it was originally intended as a cut&pick blade, but the point still stands.

Well, I learned today that some pocket knives form the late 1800s or the beginning of the 1900s did indeed feature a similar implement. Below is an example of a knife manufactured in Sheffield, England. That specific orange peeler blade was apparently a registered design in England in 1920. Picture stolen from courtesy of eBay Canada, where the knife is currently being sold on (no affiliation with the seller).
I thought this could be of interest here, and a proof that the Swiss weren't all that crazy, after all.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:12:25 PM by shadowrider »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: The orange peeler
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 07:18:23 AM
Now thats an orange peeler  :D
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 07:24:26 AM
I have found the orange peeler quite useful. I have certainly peeled oranges with it (super handy) but I have also found it to be a great "zip" blade for clamshell packages etc etc.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 12:56:30 PM
I will admit when I first looked the orange peeler I had my doubts that it would work but it did. Now that I know it also opens packages I think I need to keep an Executive or Mini Champ nearby.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD